Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little PTV problem. Pulled motor with pics.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 10:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default A little PTV problem. Pulled motor with pics.

THIS WAS NOT BC OF THE MS4 CAM!!!Ok guys this all happened not to long ago. I was driving to work one morning, started heading up this mountain and my car started to knock. So i drove the mile to work and parked her where she died. Well we finally got the motor out this past weekend .. Here is the damage. Oh and i have the MS4 cam on all stock bottom end and heads.

Here is the beginning:

#1 Cylinder problem:

#6 Cylinder problem

Well i think I found the problem!!

Last edited by bjamick; 12-11-2007 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to see a younger kid being able to do that on his own! Hope you get it back together, bigger and badder!
Old 12-10-2007, 10:19 AM
Teching In

So, the valves weren't hitting, but then they did? Did the springs loosen up that much after a few cycles or what? Help a newb out here.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:51 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by mdog33
So, the valves weren't hitting, but then they did? Did the springs loosen up that much after a few cycles or what? Help a newb out here.
can happen from an over-rev, like throwin it in two low of a gear when on the throttle
Old 12-10-2007, 10:55 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdog33
The PTV clearance was prob REALLY close and was fine until a valve floated for a split sec, Id say magnaflux and fly cut and hopefully none of the valves bent or chipped.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Believe it or not guys im actually 19 Y/O and have done every mod on the car myself w? A few helping hands ..

What caused this problem is not from over revving bc the car still had the stock rev limiter (6200rpm). I believe bc i never got it fully tuned just good enough to run and idle in traffic. I think i had it running so rich that the fuel washed down the cylinder walls and steadily kept sending oil out the exhaust and all that good stuff. So finally i think the oil got low enough that when i started going up the mountain. All the oil was at the back of the oil pan leaving #1 to #6 W/O oil. This caused the motor to spin the rod bearing and i think caused it to make the piston actually go a lil higher then usual on those 2 particular cylinders. Thats how the piston got stamped i believe.
The cam and all that stuff had prob 800 miles on it so i've never had a problem out of it. ALways pulled like a raped ape but i think my stupidity of not getting it tuned got the best of me .
Old 12-10-2007, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

Yup, looks like you spun a bearing or two and had the piston come out of the hole quite a bit. If you didn't have many miles since your install, it's possible the bearing failed due to debris that got in at that time. The pistons don't look that bad, but I'd get the heads checked out for sure. It's a good excuse to get some upgrades while you're at it
Old 12-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Gotcha. Thanks for your honesty. Helps folks learn what to, and unfortunately sometimes what not to do.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

That means that the cam clearances were too tight to begin with. I will repeat this a million times (not that anyone listens).
Any cam with less than .080 intake and .100 exhaust clearance (unless a racing application) should flycut.
That range above should be Super minimum on a hydraulic Street setup
All else is a crap shoot.
This is not the first time i see this with the MS4 or some other big cams (T-Rex, Vengeance etc...or custom in those duration range and VEs)

The other thing is that cams that big should always be doctored and degreed to verify grind and specs.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:54 AM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
That means that the cam clearances were too tight to begin with. I will repeat this a million times (not that anyone listens).
Any cam with less than .080 intake and .100 exhaust clearance (unless a racing application) should flycut.
That range above should be Super minimum on a hydraulic Street setup
All else is a crap shoot.
This is not the first time i see this with the MS4 or some other big cams (T-Rex, Vengeance etc...or custom in those duration range and VEs)
i agree with you on this one pred.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Yep Pred.Z is right. But it still would have spun the bearing whether i did it or not .. But hell the car had 110k on it and was beat on on a reg. basis so i think its ok. Now i've got a set of P&P 5.3 heads to go on it LS6 intake and im buying new rods and pistons and bearings. So when she comes back out im taking her straight up to SPeedsouth to get a tune .. The pistons will have valve reliefs so i will never have to worry about PTV problems ever again .

I hope you newbs learned something from this. Smartest thing to do i never hold off on a tune, it will come back and bite you in the ***.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z

The other thing is that cams that big should always be doctored and degreed to verify grind and specs.

Hi PREDATOR-Z,

Those rules are the bases you would like to hear from every camshaft provider...compliment to you for insisting and trying to help.

Christian
Old 12-10-2007, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that's a good theory, but if it's true why are we looking at pictures of the engine removal and piston crowns instead of big end rod shells to prove you are right. If you can do all this engine work yourself why aren't you smart enough to have sufficient oil in the pan? Don't blame it on the mountain.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:18 PM
10 Second Club

Sufficient oil in the pan? Where did he say that?
Old 12-11-2007, 03:46 AM
TECH Addict

Maybe as long as he was driving on level ground the oil level was sufficient, but as soon as he started up that damn mountain the pickup went into cavitation. Either way it wasn't the mountains fault.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by N4cer
Sufficient oil in the pan? Where did he say that?
I did say that i believe she was low on oil, and was fine until i started up the mountain. I said that my tune was the cause of sending oil steadily out the exhaust. TO much fuel, was the cause of it finally happening.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:18 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know where everyone is coming up with a PTV issue on this motor. Look at the pics and you can clearly see where the pistons hit the cylinder heads! To me it looks like the motor spun a couple of rod bearings which resulted in the PTV issue when the pistons came out of the hole. That has nothing to do with the camshafts size. You can do the same thing with a 224 duration camshaft with a ton of PTV. Anyone familiar with engines would see that well before the PTV issue. Those would be the only cylinders with both PTV contact and piston to head contact. That instantly tells you that a bearing had an issue.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
I don't know where everyone is coming up with a PTV issue on this motor. Look at the pics and you can clearly see where the pistons hit the cylinder heads! To me it looks like the motor spun a couple of rod bearings which resulted in the PTV issue when the pistons came out of the hole. That has nothing to do with the camshafts size. You can do the same thing with a 224 duration camshaft with a ton of PTV. Anyone familiar with engines would see that well before the PTV issue. Those would be the only cylinders with both PTV contact and piston to head contact. That instantly tells you that a bearing had an issue.
%100 agree. that is a combustion chamber witness on the piston not a ptvc problem.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

What are the actual PVC on the MS4 with stock heads???Anyone ever measure it???
Old 12-12-2007, 01:13 AM
pdd
TECH Veteran

19 and suckin down a beergood luck with the rebuild bro

Quick Reply: A little PTV problem. Pulled motor with pics.