Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LY6 in a '98 Jeep Wrangler

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LY6 in a '98 Jeep Wrangler

I've installed a LY6 into my Wrangler. Well, at least I have it bolted up to the front engine mounts. "Installed" may be a stretch at this point.

I'm going to run an aftermarket fuel cell. That's where my concerns come in. I've read that the new LY6's have a unique fuel delivery system. Do you guys know what kind of fuel pump/fuel lines I need to run? I can't get anymore parts off of the donor vehicle. It's long gone, so I don't really have anything to compare it to other than Internet info.

Here's the fuel cell I'm planning on running: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Full details on build: http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=624927

thanks,
.brit
Old 12-12-2007, 01:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bmzero

I'm going to run an aftermarket fuel cell. That's where my concerns come in. I've read that the new LY6's have a unique fuel delivery system. Do you guys know what kind of fuel pump/fuel lines I need to run? I can't get anymore parts off of the donor vehicle. It's long gone, so I don't really have anything to compare it to other than Internet info.
Were did you read it has a unique fuel system? Link...

Its the same as the others returnless. So you will just need one line.

Returnless Fuel Injection with Stainless Steel Fuel Rail
The Vortec 6.0L is equipped with a "returnless’’ fuel injection system, also known as a demand system, and the latest-generation Multec injectors with USCAR connectors. The Gen IV V8s represents one of GM’s first applications of USCAR-standard electrical connectors for the fuel injectors. The standard was developed to promote common, reliable connections across the auto industry and streamline regulatory oversight. The connectors are more compact than previous connectors, and designed for improved sealing.

Recently introduced on the Gen III Vortec V8s, returnless fuel injection represents a paradigm shift for GM, developed to improve performance and decrease evaporative emissions. Previously, Vortec 6.0Ls used a return line between the engine and the fuel tank to manage fuel pressure by bleeding off excess fuel at the fuel rail and returning the excess to the tank. The new system eliminates the return lines and moves the fuel pressure regulator from the fuel rail on the engine to the fuel tank. Because it delivers only the amount of fuel needed by the injectors, and returns no fuel to the gas tank, the returnless system essentially eliminates heat transfer from the engine to tank. This reduces the amount of vapor generated in the tank and captured by the vehicle’s Onboard Refueling Vapor Recovery (ORVR) system.

With the returnless system, the 6.0L uses a fuel rail manufactured of stainless steel. The stainless steel rail allows installation of baffles that manage fuel pulses in the returnless system and reduce noise.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:25 AM
Teching In

Your entire post talks about the "uniqueness" of the fuel system. I think that justifies my first post.

I'm not saying it's unique to LS engines, I'm just saying it's unique to all other fuel systems out there and I don't have any experience with them. I came here because I knew you guys had plenty of experience with them.

Anyway, thanks for the information. That's almost exactly what I read. It may even be from the same press release or something.

I'm trying to find a fuel pump that will work. What do you guys think about this one http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 12-12-2007, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man... Ive been checking your post out over on pirate... Looks like you ahve a good build going, and you are learning some good stuff along the way.

Too bad you arent closer to the King of Prussia area here in PA. There is a yard here that sells wheel-wheel axles for $50. Doesnt matter if its a teeny little pick up truck axle, or a dump truck axle. I get ALL my axles from them. 8.8s, D44s, HPD30s...

Good luck with the rest of your build! Definetly check out the forums over here for all your motor info. HP Tuners will get your motor running faily easy after you get it totally installed and ready to go.

J.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
There is a yard here that sells wheel-wheel axles for $50.
Ha, that would've saved me over $1300 on the front axle alone! :-)

Learning is an understatement. I was a motorcycle mechanic for three or four years in college and have raced MX for most of my life, but this is my first attempt at building a vehicle. So far I'm happy with the progress, but I have a long way to go.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:34 PM
TECH Resident

Just run an in-tank walbro unit. That's what I plan to do with my LH6 swap into my TJ..

I like the looks of that tank too, thanks for the idea. That would allow me some nice ground clearance. I'm also toying with doing a Clayton long arm stretch kit which that tank would make alot easier..

Last edited by 98blackSS; 12-12-2007 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

I just started reading the pirate thread. Is that a schram motor? That pallet looks awfully familiar

By the way, I decided on modifying the GM harness myself. It's really not that hard. And with Hptuners, making all the ECM mods is easy.. I can help you with this if needed.

Last edited by 98blackSS; 12-12-2007 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Do you have a link for the pump you're planning on using? I didn't see one their site that looked like it was what I needed.

Yes, it is a Schram engine. They're proud of them, but it only has 2 miles on it.

Yeah, I just couldn't see paying Howell of Speartech $900 to mod my harness. I'm fairly confident I will eventually work it out.

I'm stretching about 4 or 5" in the rear, so the shorter tank is definitely necessary.

Do you have a thread for your rig?
Old 12-12-2007, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

PM'd you. No thread yet, but I'll make one once I start the swap Dec 26th and start taking pics.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

Hey man let me know how it goes. I am swapping in an LY6 into my 96 Impala and we can help each other with info.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:57 AM
Teching In

Sounds good. I'll definitely need all of the help I can get. I'll try to keep this thread updated, but the most current news will probably be on the thread at Pirate 4x4.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:09 AM
Teching In

Nice build!! I too purchased my engine/trans ('06 LH6/4L60E) from Schram's. I bought a GM intank pump (Schram's) and modified my stock Jeep pump assembly to accept it. Outside the tank, I am using the Corvette regulator (you can get them at NAPA) to regulate the pressure to around 60psi. Works great, verified with fuel pressure gauge at the fuel rail.

I just realized you mentioned the summit fuel cell. I am using the stock TJ tank but the summit cell can be modified to accept the original TJ fuel pump assembly. I believe someone on Pirate sells the adapter rings, if not, then Posion Spyder does for sure.

Good luck, i will follow your threads and post any help i can offer.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info on the tank. I definitely want to do that. I ordered my pump today (Walbro 255), and the tank came in also. Now all I need are the connectors, lines, and adapter ring you mentioned.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:24 AM
Teching In

Default Wiring Diagram?

Do you guys know where I can find a wiring diagram for this engine? I've tried to find a service/repair manual, but apparently there isn't one yet, or at least I can't find one.

I need to mesh the GM wiring with some of the Jeep wiring (ignition, etc).
Old 12-16-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

I just bought the Helm's manuals for my donor vehicle. They're pricey ($135), but found they're worth it for the amount of technical info offered. It's the typical three book set with all the harness and pinout info you'd need.

LY6
The Vortec 6000 LY6 is a Generation IV small block V8 truck engine. It shares the same bore and stroke as its LQ4 predecessor, and also features variable valve timing.

LY6 applications:

2007-present Chevrolet Silverado HD
2007-present GMC Sierra HD
2007-present Chevrolet Suburban 3/4 ton
2007-present GMC Yukon XL 3/4 ton

Helms site
Old 12-16-2007, 11:12 AM
Teching In

That's who the local GMC dealer told me to use. I had planned on calling the Monday. Their site is a little confusing to navigate. They don't seem to be very specific on the models their stuff matches.

What part number did you buy?
Old 12-16-2007, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

It can be a tad bit confusing due to the models being similar for both Chevy and GMC, etc.

My engine is an LH6, and is only used on the Envoy/trailblazer platform, so I only had one choice for the manual set.

I see how yours is a bit more confusing though. There appears to be two choices: GMT07CK9PU or GMT07CK8PU. One is for the Silverado and the other for the Silverado Classic. I'm not familiar enough with the trucks to know what the difference is, and which would cover your engine. You may need to call them to verify.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I'll give them a call tomorrow. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: LY6 in a '98 Jeep Wrangler