Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

not for street use

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default not for street use

Everyone says dont' run slicks/skinnies on the street. Now there are some good reasons....
-handling reduced
-wet weather
-low tread life
-cost

But outside of those reasons, why shouldn't u drive them on the street or freeway?
Old 12-23-2007, 05:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i drive them everyday on the street/interstate. Just be careful in the rain or you'll be skiing.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pros - You look like a total bad ***!
Cons - Not enough room for all the girls you will pick up.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In most states they have a minimum tread depth and all out slicks won't pass.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah..been pulled over and ticketed for dot legal DR's lol but I had to laugh when he called them bologna skins.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by f50nut
Yeah..been pulled over and ticketed for dot legal DR's lol but I had to laugh when he called them bologna skins.
how can you be ticketed for DOT legal? unless they were past the wear point?
Old 12-23-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Regular

They still had grooves but it's all about the way the cop "interprets" the situation. I mean they're just doin their job but yea it could happen.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

M/T tires are pretty much past legal tread depth after you do one burnout on them. But on a sidenote, I DD on slicks & skinnies.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ran my skinnys everywhere i went,just be carefull in the rain,they like to slide!
Old 12-26-2007, 02:54 PM
TECH Junkie

How long would a set of mickey thompson slicks last with street driving, like freeway. I know it wouldn't be long, but if I were to put, lets say 200 miles on them (freeway), how much tread life would be left?
Old 12-26-2007, 08:14 PM
10 Second Club

One main reason it is dangerous on skinnies is because if you have to stop very quickly for instance to avoid an accident you have far less rubber up front to grip the road for stopping.

Trust me I was doing about 45 when a car pulled out in front of me and I hit the brakes hard and the car just slid almost like on ice for about 20 feet. It did not stop me from driving on them just gave me some idea's of what to expect when it comes to stopping.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

i drve my MT ET Streets and Sportman fronts everywhere, i thouth the ride was smoother because of the bias ply but maybe it was just me. i didnt drive them in the rain and i kept a very good eye out for potholes.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Junkie

good info to know about the brakes! thank you.

what does bias ply mean?
Old 12-27-2007, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Everyone says dont' run slicks/skinnies on the street. Now there are some good reasons....
-handling reduced
-wet weather
-low tread life
-cost

But outside of those reasons, why shouldn't u drive them on the street or freeway?

I think those reason are good enough. And running skinnies on the front not only reduces your brakeing ability, it also reduces your cornering power. I wouldn't do it for that reason alone.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:15 AM
On The Tree

Hi, Does Anyone Know If A 02 Ws6 Can Fit Rims That Are 18x12 In The Rear And 18x10 In The Front??? The Back Spacing Is Around 7 Inches On Each. I Really Like These Rims And A Guy Has The Same Set On A 90 Vette With No Problems. He Has No Rubbing Issues At All. I Just Don't Know If They Will Fit A Ws6. Any Thoughts??????
Old 12-27-2007, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by styoung
i drve my MT ET Streets and Sportman fronts everywhere, i thouth the ride was smoother because of the bias ply but maybe it was just me. i didnt drive them in the rain and i kept a very good eye out for potholes.
Same as you here. MT ET streets and sportsmans up front. So far so good!! Not a DD guys.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
good info to know about the brakes! thank you.

what does bias ply mean?
I think ply for tires is just like how think it is or even how much weight a tire can take on it. Like if you had a truck and you hauled alot of stuff around in it you would want a higher ply tire like a 10 ply. If i am not wrong.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by porksoda
I think ply for tires is just like how think it is or even how much weight a tire can take on it. Like if you had a truck and you hauled alot of stuff around in it you would want a higher ply tire like a 10 ply. If i am not wrong.
GOOGLE:

radial tire (more properly, a radial-ply tire) is a particular design of automotive tire (in British English, tyre). The design was originally developed by Michelin in 1946 [1] but, because of its advantages, has now become the standard design for essentially all automotive tires.

Tires are not fabricated just from rubber; they would be far too flexible and weak. Within the rubber are a series of plies of cord that act as reinforcement. All common tires (since at least the 1960s) are made of layers of rubber and cords of polyester, steel, and/or other textile materials. This network of cords that gives the tire strength and shape is called the carcass.

In the past, the fabric was built up on a flat steel drum, with the cords at an angle of about +60 and -60 degrees from the direction of travel, so they criss-crossed over each other. They were called cross ply or bias ply tires. The plies were turned up around the steel wire beads and the combined tread/sidewall applied. The green (uncured) tire was loaded over a curing bladder and shaped into the mould. This shaping process caused the cords in the tire to assume an S shape from bead to bead. The angle under the tread stretched down to about 36 degrees. This was called the Crown Angle. In the sidewall region the angle was 45 degrees and in the bead it remained at 60 degrees. The low crown angle gave rigidity to support the tread and the high sidewall angle gave comfort.

By comparison, radial tires lay all of the cord plies at 90 degrees to the direction of travel (that is, across the tire from lip to lip). This design avoids having the plies rub against each other as the tire flexes, reducing the rolling friction of the tire. This allows vehicles with radial tires to achieve better fuel economy than vehicles with bias-ply tires. It also accounts for the slightly "low on air" (bulging) look that radial tire sidewalls have, especially when compared to bias-ply tires.

[edit] Construction
As described, a low radial tire would not be sufficiently strong and the surface in contact with the ground would not be sufficiently rigid. To add further strength, the entire tire is surrounded by additional belts that are oriented along the direction of travel. First made of tire cord, these belts were made of steel (hence the term steel-belted radial) by 1948 and subsequently Polyester or later Aramid fibers such as Twaron and Kevlar.

In this way, low radial tires separate the tire carcass into two separate systems:

The radial cords in the sidewall allow it to act like a spring, giving flexibility and ride comfort.
The rigid steel belts reinforce the tread region, giving high mileage and performance.
Each system can then be individually optimized for best performance.

[edit] Application
Radial tires have different characteristics of springiness from those of bias-ply tires, and a different degree of slip while steering. They ride differently; North American motorists were not accustomed to the feel. Hence the suspension systems of cars had to be modified. Ford Motor Company engineer Jack Bajer experimented in the 1960s on a Ford Falcon, by giving it less tight steering, and adding both isolators to the drive shaft and bushings to the suspension, the latter being to absorb the thump of riding over asphalt expansion joints in a concrete roadway. Cars could now be made lighter because they would not have to make up for the deficiencies of bias-ply tires[citation needed].