Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking into H/C Setup Opinions needed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 07:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking into H/C Setup Opinions needed!

I have a 2002 Z28 A4 with 2.73 gears. I have SLP loudmouth exhaust, MTI lid, Filter, Free ram air, and HPP3. I have some extra money from a student loan for college and I'm thinking about trying the Patriot Stage 2 heads. Any suggestions on cam to use with these?? also anything else I need to get this setup working well, and ballpark number i can expect? as you can tell im very new at and uneducated about all of this. any help would be really great!
Thanks,
Austin
Old 06-29-2003, 08:38 PM
JPR
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Looking into H/C Setup Opinions needed!

You should change your gears and converter first, thats most likely best money spent at this time, dial it in to mid 12's or better, then figure out how much faster you wanna go just some friendly advise.

Joe.
Old 06-29-2003, 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

Yes, do a converter first, then see how you like it, then do gears, see how you like it, then talk about heads and cams. Just some friendly advise.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:31 PM
12 Second Club

TTT
Old 06-30-2003, 02:14 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have several cams to choose from. The 228/228 is probably the one we sell the most of. Trevor has a heads & cam combo special going on so give him a call & he can tell you what all he has in stock Also if there is another cam spec you want we can custom order it to your exact specs. If I was you I would try to find some 3.23 or 3.42 gears also, you can find them on the boards cheap. If your wanting new gears Trevor is getting ready to post a drivetrain special. Send me a e-mail if you have any questions, I would be happy to help you

Jason
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 06-30-2003, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would have to agree with the guys on this one.Its best to max out the boltons before hopping into a h/c car. You might be happy with the power with a bolton car (Warning,most of us get tired of just boltons ).Gears and a good verter wake up the car nice.
If you decide to get heads and cam,take a look at Rapid Motorsport's h/c setup.Numbers in sig. A rapid h/c just dynoed 419.9 rwhp with Moser 12 Bolt, 4.11 gears, TCS 4400 converter, TCS Stage II 4L60E, stock pulley, stock TB!
Old 06-30-2003, 07:14 PM
TECH Veteran

its pointless slapping heads/cam on a stock stall and manifold car. You arent gonna have the tq to get the car off the line. Sure it may be a little faster from a roll, but you will be missing out big time!

the converter will drop your ET by 4-6tenths and plus you wont have to worry about tuning and crap. Most cars with heads/cam need ATAP and LS1 edit. Thats why i dont reccomend internal work unless you have the big bucks to get everything needed
Old 07-01-2003, 12:14 AM
12 Second Club

Thank you guys so much for the feedback. I dont want h/c only for reduced track times. I want a cam for a good rumble and some headers and i was thinking if the motor is gonna be taken out, might as well changes the heads too. but oh well you guys gave me a good excuse to get gears, converter, h/c, headers, and tuning!
Old 07-01-2003, 01:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

what do you need to take the motor out for?
Old 07-01-2003, 01:20 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you just want the rumble, get the cam and pass on the header PITA, that's what I'm doing (at least that's the plan this year.)
Old 07-01-2003, 12:15 PM
TECH Veteran

but oh well you guys gave me a good excuse to get gears, converter, h/c, headers, and tuning!
then we did our job HAHAHHAH

but its a simple rule or thumb to get all the bolt ons first, then look into cam and heads. You will find that pickin heads/cam out is like a kid in a candy factory also LMAO.. same for pickin out stalls and etc
Old 07-02-2003, 12:11 AM
12 Second Club

ok i dont know much about stalls. do they affect daily driving by very much? im going to need to keep my car dependable but also im starting the GM ASEP program in a month. so it wont be long before i know a whole lot about these cars and can diagnose a problem myself if one were to come up.

You guys have been such a help, even though ive posted a few times on here ive never posted a problem and asked for suggestions but this has been great to hear so many of them.
Thanks so much,
Austin

P.S. The more the better!
Old 07-02-2003, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

...its a simple rule or thumb to get all the bolt ons first, then look into cam and heads.
Ha!! I agree with you, but it's a case of "do as I say, not as I do". When my car was rolled into the shop for the H/C setup, it had some chassis/suspension stuff, a shifter, a lid, and 4.10's. Other than that, it was bone stock.

In fact, before I pulled the trigger on my car, I had only ridden in one other LS1 F-body with so much as a cam (okay, it was Louis's {G2 LS1} car when it was running the original G5). However, I did my research, collected parts, and now am convinced that I have the right setup for my uses.