Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experience needed, Easy install??

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Experience needed, Easy install??

I plan on doing a cam swap with supporting mods and also an intake swap. I have LT headers. I also want to do heads at the same time. How hard is it to change heads without removing the engine? Anyone with experience got any tips?
Old 01-01-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It took me and my brother a week, but we cleaned every thread and chased them with a tap. I've heard of guys doing it in 3 days...I think if you did a few you could make that timelinem, but first time I would plan a week. We also installed the longtubes and did a rear end swap.

It's a 1,000 minor details, but nothing really hard. Just take your time and follow the Howto. They're not perfect, but they sure are helpful. I think on the SS you can remove the cowl where the wipers are? The worst thing I ran into was the little sharp fasteners for the hood seal. They're like razorblades and slice your hands up when working under the cowl.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Restricted User

Dude, that whole job shouldn't take more than a day. Even if you're taking your time. With two people it should be even faster. Just take your time and don't rush anything
Old 01-01-2008, 11:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by socmguy
Dude, that whole job shouldn't take more than a day. Even if you're taking your time. With two people it should be even faster. Just take your time and don't rush anything
It can be done, but if the first time I would not expect that done in a day. Not doing it right anyway. You would do all that in a day including surface prep, chasing threads etc?...Heads/Cam/LTs? To the OP...It "could" be done in a day, but I would leave a weekend open. Just my friendly advice.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:02 AM
Restricted User

I agree, first time job I'd do it over a weekend.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by socmguy
He said later he wanted to do heads too. If you do heads and cam in a day I'd hate to see how long things hold together?

We did ring and pinion, long tubes, heads and cam in 6 days. It was slow, but PTV was measured accurately, all electrical connections were cleaned and lubed with dielectric grease. All bolts had their threads cleaned on a wire wheel and all bolt holes were cleaned and chased with a tap. Every fitting the GM put on the car was back on when we were done. So no speed records were broke, but it was a great week.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I already have the LT's installed. I'll just be swapping the cam, LS6 ported oil pump, springs and such and also installing a SSF 3500 stall and tranny cooler. How many hours will installing heads add?
Old 01-02-2008, 01:33 AM
Restricted User

dude, if you're doing a cam and stall, just drop the K member, it'll be way easier! Lift the car up over the K member and engine and while you're at it knock out the motor mounts.