Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 01:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV conversion

has anyone done the ls1 to ls6 pcv conversion is it worth the money i just found out about it and i already have the motor apart wondering if i should through out the extra money and do this as well. what do you all think?
Old 01-12-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ilikeppie
has anyone done the ls1 to ls6 pcv conversion is it worth the money i just found out about it and i already have the motor apart wondering if i should through out the extra money and do this as well. what do you all think?
Not worth the money in my opinion I asked the same question and one member found a nice cheap way to get rid of the oil consumption problem and sent me pics. If you want take a look at my post and I'll see if i can forward the pics on to you if you like.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/840945-ls6-pcv.html
Old 01-12-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did it, but cant say anything about oil consumption since the car isnt on the road just yet. The install was easy even though I had to cut off the casting tab. Even if it doesnt help much with the oil cosumption, it was worth it to just get rid of those ugly hoses.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Regular

i hear ya there i think im gonna go the cheap way like the others!
Old 01-12-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

i vote against running a breather. a pressurized crankcase is best, and without it you may have trouble with the rings sealing amoung other things. its a good system, better than the breathers and thats why its used on modern day cars.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I run the LS6 valley cover and the LS6 PCV along with a breather in the passenger side valve cover and the GMPP valve covers..I have no oil being sucked back into the intake and I have been running this system for 2 years (over 40,000 miles) now and it works great...

Last edited by slt200mph; 01-12-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Regular

slt200mph nice engine compartment looks great!
Old 01-12-2008, 05:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Tainted
i vote against running a breather. a pressurized crankcase is best, and without it you may have trouble with the rings sealing amoung other things. its a good system, better than the breathers and thats why its used on modern day cars.
so basically your saying that i shouldn't do it the cheap way i should actually get the ls6 stuff?
Old 01-12-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice!!
Old 01-12-2008, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wouldnt the catch can be the best?
Old 01-12-2008, 05:28 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Not to nit pick, but your breather is on the passenger side.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
^ Not to nit pick, but your breather is on the passenger side.
I stand corrected sir .. I have comsumed many adult beverages today..
Old 01-12-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

no im not saying that, but there are better alternatives than to ditch a good pressurised system.something like the catch can would work just as good
Old 01-12-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Regular

i was thinking about it if i were to just take all that junk hoses out and throw in a pcv valve in the back of the drivers manifold and did not put a breather it would still stay pressurised right?
Old 01-12-2008, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

i dunno, thats more detailed than I can inform you correctly about.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ilikeppie
so basically your saying that i shouldn't do it the cheap way i should actually get the ls6 stuff?
I didn't thank of it as being expensive...you sould be able to find a used LS6 valley cover for a good price .. check in the parts 4 sale section .. I can't remember what the the LS6 PCV connection cost was but if it was high I would have remebered for sure..you could make one with a PCV valve and some rubber hose if you did not want to purchase the Chevrolet part .. as far as a catch can goes you have to have something to catch..I have never had any oil in the intake problems with the car..when it was bone stock or in any of its stages of modification .. the valve covers were $102 a piece..I fabbed up coil relocation from stuff from home depot and bought a set of LT1 wires and cut them to length .. there was nothing very pricey in the whole clean it up under the hood project at all...as to the compliments .. thank you for the kind words folks ..
Old 01-12-2008, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tainted
If you do not have any crankcase ventilation of some kind you will have oil coming out of all kinds of places that you do not want it to..a breather or PCV releives the pressure that builds up inside the crankcase of a engine ... you may want to rethink your statement sir .. In my case I used the old school as well as the new school technology together and it worked out great for me and I cleaned up the engine too..the old LS series engine looks pretty good once you get all that crap off the top of it..
Old 01-12-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

no thats correct, I understand what you mean. it would blow out gaskets and seals, but the factory stuff already had all that figured out. Thats why I say go with something factory and not just delete all the pcv and run a breather
Old 01-12-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

The factory does not always know whats best...that is why we all mod the phuch out of them after we buy them .. on top of that the phucher was ugly with all that crap all over the top of the motor..this LS1 has 148,000 + miles on it and it gets run hard every day of its life and it uses 1/2 quart of oil every 5,000 miles..and has been that way since I got the car .. it had 10,300 miles on it when I got it .. like I said it has been working good for me..
Old 01-12-2008, 06:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by slt200mph
I didn't thank of it as being expensive...you sould be able to find a used LS6 valley cover for a good price .. check in the parts 4 sale section .. I can't remember what the the LS6 PCV connection cost was but if it was high I would have remebered for sure..you could make one with a PCV valve and some rubber hose if you did not want to purchase the Chevrolet part .. as far as a catch can goes you have to have something to catch..I have never had any oil in the intake problems with the car..when it was bone stock or in any of its stages of modification .. the valve covers were $102 a piece..I fabbed up coil relocation from stuff from home depot and bought a set of LT1 wires and cut them to length .. there was nothing very pricey in the whole clean it up under the hood project at all...as to the compliments .. thank you for the kind words folks ..
i was just lookin at my new heads in the garage and i noticed that they are a center bolt pattern for the valve covers so in light of this could you give me any pointers on your coil relocation set up that you made? can any one point me in the direction of some good lookin valve covers for a trans am?