Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which PCV soultion ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which PCV soultion ???

I have been reading on past threads about oil consumption problems and have a few questions.

1. Why can you not just disconnect the PCV and put a breather in its place in the valve cover like an old school SBC?

2. Does using the updated PCV valve with the smaller orifice solve the problem?

3. Is there any advantage to using the LS6 PCV system over the smaller orifice PCV?

4. Is a catch can necessary with any of the above mentioned solutions?

Like I said I have searched this and have not been able to figure out which one will PREVENT oil consumtion.

Thanks ahead of time,
Bart
Old 07-07-2003, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Which PCV soultion ???

Ok can anyone tell which ones they have performed and if they worked? Just trying to see what is the BEST route.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

Heres my story about oil consumption...I have an '01 SS. I had been going through at least one quart of oil every 1000 - 1200 miles. After playing 'avoid fixing the problem' with the dealership, they finally dropped my motor and replaced the second piston ring on each piston. There is a TSB issued against the vehicle addressing this problem, it looks like some these cars had the wrong size rings, mine included.
Now my oil consumption is fine, about 1/2qt.in 6000 miles.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would love to have it fixed under a TSB but my car is out of warranty.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

Try to get a hold of GM customer service and impress upon them that you have had this problem and all the info about the TSB that they issued. Is it just barely out of warranty? If so,they might fix it, but I would definately try to make them fix it because they know this is an existing problem.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been reading on past threads about oil consumption problems and have a few questions.

1. Why can you not just disconnect the PCV and put a breather in its place in the valve cover like an old school SBC?

2. Does using the updated PCV valve with the smaller orifice solve the problem?

3. Is there any advantage to using the LS6 PCV system over the smaller orifice PCV?

4. Is a catch can necessary with any of the above mentioned solutions?

Like I said I have searched this and have not been able to figure out which one will PREVENT oil consumtion.

Thanks ahead of time,
Bart
1. You can. You will, of course, be losing the positive aspects of having a PCV system though.

2. No.

3. Yes, the LS6 vally has commonly shown to at LEAST decrease oil usage through the PCV system. In some cases it's a complete fix, it others it's a partial fix. Regardless, just from looking at the design you can see that it is in a better spot and is less likely to suck oil. I don't see any reason why the smaller orifice PCV would do anything at all. It'd just be a larger restriction.

4. Necessary, no. Helpful, sure. You will still be losing oil (assuming you have a PCV problem, and not a ring/etc problem), but some/most of it will end up in the catch can, not the intake. Not a bad idea no matter what PCV design you use.

Dope
Old 07-07-2003, 07:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ended up doing the vertical PCV solution. Basically from this page: http://www.fbody.com/members/stevenm...ML/pcv_mod.htm , I tried the inline filters and ditched them after a week; they looked like a$$. It's working for me.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I ended up doing the vertical PCV solution. Basically from this page: http://www.fbody.com/members/stevenm...ML/pcv_mod.htm , I tried the inline filters and ditched them after a week; they looked like a$$. It's working for me.
I did that mod with the filters and it solved my problem. Having the filters on doesn't bother me, but I guess different things bother different people differently. I have pics of the engine by here http://members.cardomain.com/nighthawk2001 if you want to take a look. (I'm still experimenting with the eninge bay-so no flame )

If your oil consumption problem is PCV related, then this will probably help. If it's b/c of the rings, then that's a different story.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree Nighthawk, and you're setup looks alot better than mine did!
Old 07-07-2003, 08:26 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I disagree with Dope's statement that the updated PCV does not help. Actually, it helped quite a bit in my case. I went from using 1/2+ quart in 1000 miles to less than 1/4 quart. Lately it has been using virtually no oil at all. Granted, I'm not 100% certain that the issue is solved, but I can say that in my experiance the updated PCV does certainly help. I mounted it verticle just like I had the stock one mounted....
Old 07-07-2003, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, Viper

RPM WS6, I agree with you on the updated PCV - that's probably the most straight-forward fix.
Old 07-08-2003, 02:10 AM
dug
Banned

I like the catch can idea since its cheapest. You can always as oil as it gets sucked out.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Dope
1. You can. You will, of course, be losing the positive aspects of having a PCV system though.
Dope
What are the positive aspects of a pcv system?