General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

deciding my future... advice plz

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default deciding my future... advice plz

Ok, this is basically my situation. Im 17 and a Junior in HS. My family has a 2000 v6 camaro with 165k on it. The car is mine when I graduate for only 1k. But, thats a little more than a year and a half away and the car will have probably close to 190k on it by then. I'll be working the next 2 summers and can save atleast 6k for a new car, or to put into the v6. My question is what would be the smartest, or best thing to do? Should I buy another camaro with my 6k, ( I really would like to have a z28), should I make my v6 a v8, should I buy something totally different for college, or just save my money and invest it into the v6 and make it nice. In the end I'd like to either have a z28, or a really nice v6. If I dont get a z28, I plan on buying new rims, new paint, lowering, and possibly rebuilding the v6 the summer before I go to college. But I figure I could grab a decent z28 for around 6k by the time Im ready to graduate, seeing as how the new camaro's will be out, so prices should fall a bit on 4th gen cars. so, what do you guys think?
Old 01-21-2008, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can't see you picking up a nice z28 for 6k, maybe a real high mileage one or a rebuild. either swap an ls1 into your camaro or buy a v8. don't try and modify the v6 thats just stupid, unless you're going to boost it like a few guys here have
Old 01-21-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would honestly just wait and get a Z, ive been in that SAME situation and had friends in that same situation as well. if you get a six, you are just letting yourself down. Ive heard so much talk of people wanting to upgrade a six to an eight but ive actually NEVER seen it happen, and if you actually look at hte costs involved, buying either a mid mileage z28 or trans am would be easier on the wallet anyway.

you can do whatever you want ot the car, but AT LEAST start with a good platform
Old 01-21-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Buy the camaro for 1K, part it out for more money, save up so then you'll have ur 5k left over, Then buy a LS1 F-Body with the money you'll make from parting it out.. I'd imagine you could make at least $2,000 in parts if not a little more.

Its not worth putting $5,000 towards a V6 with 190,000 miles on it..
Old 01-21-2008, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

well, thats kinda what I was inclined to do... either get a z28, or use the v6 throughout college. our v6 is pretty solid, besides having high millage. and since its only gonna cost me 1k at the most, it wont be too bad. but, right now in ohio, 98-00 z28's with around 100k are going for around 8k. Im not exactly looking for a show car, but it has to run good and not have major body damage. I know how to repair the minor stuff, and I can piece together other stuff as needed. but the main thing is I want a car thats gonna run, and run good.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

get a v8 bro.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah I'm basically in the same situation as you are. I'm paying my mom back right now. I've got it easy though, since all I have to do to stop the car payments is grab a 30 or higher on the ACT (I've got a 29 right now ). I also work at a performance shop where all we deal with is LS1s, so I just bought a high-mileage car.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

another question just popped up lol. what about insurance? how much more would it cost to have a v8 car? I got to figure on that while Im in college. got to make sure a part time job is gonna cover it. I figure with current min wage and if I manage to keep my same job during college, I'll be making about 275-400 a month... so, I've got to get gas and insurance outa that. It may be cheaper if my parents will pay half of my insurance during college like they are right now.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rushin
Yeah I'm basically in the same situation as you are. I'm paying my mom back right now. I've got it easy though, since all I have to do to stop the car payments is grab a 30 or higher on the ACT (I've got a 29 right now ). I also work at a performance shop where all we deal with is LS1s, so I just bought a high-mileage car.
lol, lucky you.. I have to manage atleast a 24 to get into my college program. maybe if I ace the ACT mom will just buy me a house and a brand new camaro, and I wont even have to go to college! looks like I'm gonna have to get that 24 then... haha
Old 01-21-2008, 11:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by zypher
another question just popped up lol. what about insurance? how much more would it cost to have a v8 car? I got to figure on that while Im in college. got to make sure a part time job is gonna cover it. I figure with current min wage and if I manage to keep my same job during college, I'll be making about 275-400 a month... so, I've got to get gas and insurance outa that. It may be cheaper if my parents will pay half of my insurance during college like they are right now.
I'm not sure on that part. Although I hear about all this crazy insurance 17 year olds pay, I only pay $600 every half-year for liability. Plus my liability is pretty sexy, considering I have 50/100, medical, and uninsured.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

well, right now I (supposedly, according to my dad) am paying 100 a month to be insured on like 4 cars. I have full coverage on the new truck and camaro, and liability on everything else. So, if I paid all of my insurance (200), that leaves me with b/t 100 and 200 a month for gas. is that doable in a v8 car, if I drive (somewhat) conservatively? so, when I turn 18, buy a z28, and drop coverage on everything else, should I be saving money? insurance seems to be so random... I know ppl that are the same age as me and pay a lot more/less then me. I happen to be right in the middle.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

There a a few V-8s mostly LT cars in that price range with a lot of miles but a V-6 should not be in your mind. IMO
Old 01-21-2008, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Drive the V6 into the ground, save up and buy your dream z28 when you graduate. If it starts hving lots of problem part it out.

But I'm not one for advise, I bought my ws6 while Im going to school and it's killing me. I'm a good bad example.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:22 PM
11 Second Club

I'd say you'll be able to get a decent LS1 f-body by then with 6k. There will be some good deals out there by then if you don't jump on the first car you come across.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

Simply put you cant afford a v8 right now IMO Insurance will be 400+ for a 18 year old. Get a job and just buy a practical car for now. After you get your bills figured out and make enough money then buy one, but thats just my 2 cents. Im 22 and my insurance for a 6M z28 is 170 a month 2 yrs agod they wanted over 4 hundred a month so i just waited. Also the more cars your listed on usually the cheaper it is atleast thats how it was for me in the past. For my car now its 170 a month, on 2 cars now i was quoted around 155
Old 01-22-2008, 04:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about trying to sell your car and use the money you made the sale and your extra money that you saved to get a Z28? If your heart isn't entirely set on getting Z28, why not just rebuild & boost the V6?
Old 01-22-2008, 05:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

honestly dude...keep the v6 save your cash and drive your car and do all the dumbass things we do with cars when were that young on the v6...graduate college and get a good job and get yourself a very respectable v8 because you earned it. a car payment and high insurance on a high school or a college student combined with the addiction to modifying it and going through tires and parts is the exact opposite of what you need right now.

I had to buy my first car and pay all my bills and I made the mistake of gettin a 96 z28 and working for my addiction...I didnt save up enough money for college so now Im in the military. Theres thousands of different roads to take and all can be successful if you keep at it. but right now stay with the good mpg car that looks decent, have fun and study hard in school to where you can afford to play. just my .02 anyway
Old 01-22-2008, 06:32 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If you are only making 275-400 a month, honostly you cant afford a z28. Paying insuarnce on it will probably take up 1/3-1/2 of that. Plus gas. And you could find some deals but an LS1 for $6000 is probably gonna need something sooner than later. When i was in college i was making bout 600 a month and i could barely afford gas and insurance in my 93 z28. It sucks but wait it out, then get your dream car. You dont want to get in over your head.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by venomhp
honestly dude...keep the v6 save your cash and drive your car and do all the dumbass things we do with cars when were that young on the v6...graduate college and get a good job and get yourself a very respectable v8 because you earned it. a car payment and high insurance on a high school or a college student combined with the addiction to modifying it and going through tires and parts is the exact opposite of what you need right now.
x2.

I was gonna say EXACTLY what venom said. And most anyone here would agree that all things considered (both short AND long term) this is the best. Keep the 6 as a DD and save for the best....don't rush into a half assed car you might regret buying later cuz of lack of money.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:57 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I'd buy the V6 car for $1k just to get the parts (assuming there is no body damage). Doors, fenders, hood, hatch, glass, t-tops (if it has them), transmission core (if it's a 4L60E), interior (if it's in good shape), lenses, bumper covers, etc. All worth well more than $1k.

A V6 Camaro would make a good daily driver. The 3.8L V6, much like the LS1, is pretty much indestructible in stock form. But with 200k, it'll likely need a rebuild soon. Once rebuilt, you should get another 200k out of it. Trans will need a rebuild soon too at that mileage.

I would not take the time to do a V8 swap. It's just too much work IMO.

You can get nice LS1 Camaros for $8-12k and really nice ones for $12-15k. $6k isn't going to buy you a nice LS1 Camaro though. Maybe a decent one that's got high miles, or needs work, but not a nice one (at least not in my area). Depends on your definition of nice though. High miles aren't really a problem for the LS1, but when you're looking at a car with 100k+ miles, even when the motor is strong the rest of the car often shows a lot of wear.