Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil consumption what fix?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 11:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Oil consumption what fix?

My 383 stroker is using far too much oil, runs great but its using the serviceable area on the dipstick in around 200 miles. When i took the heads off to swap for the Darts i noticed some MILD scoring on the bores, i polished these out with some scotchbrite in some hope of reducing the damage.
I have the breather that runs from the top of the rocker cover piped directly into the NW throttle body, is this ok?

1)What about these additives, can/do they help? Might be worth a try as its cheap.

2)Failing this its hone and re-ring, do i have to buy pistons to fit my hone?
If so what brand would you guys say to go for? Can you guys give me a ball park figure on cost of parts, machining will be done here in the UK.

3)The other option while i'm at this is to buy LS2 block and pistons, or what other options might you guys recommend?
Old 01-27-2008, 11:58 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This sounds like it might just be a PCV issue. Are you just running the breather connected to the intake?
Old 01-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do the SMH pcv mod! it works well!
Old 01-27-2008, 12:32 PM
10 Second Club

I have the centre valley breather to atmosphere, no real evidence of pewking oil going on there, the other breather off the top of the rocker goes directly on to the NW throttle body, the small fitting that is vented to the FRONT of the butterfly. Its just a piece of rubber hose with no valves inline.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is not a breather. It's the PCV system which vents crankcase air back into the combustion process. Crankcase ventilation is necessary but the design of the PCV system on these cars is bad.

You might have too much crankcase pressure building up and inadequate venting of that pressure. That forces oil laden air up the PCV system, and with it oil too. Evidence of that can be seen by looking at the floor of the intake, which will reveal a substantial puddle of oil sitting there and being ingested primarily by the #1, #2 and #4 cylinders.

Too much unvented crankcase pressure also forces oil thru the rings and into the combustion chamber.

In my stroker (408), the PCV system simply could not handle the venting or the oil coming up the line under acceleration. I deleted the system completely and istalled a large breather on both valvecovers. Just stay on top of your oil changes.

Check your valve seals, they could be allowing oil to drain down the valve stems. And check for leaky rocker arm studs.

Last edited by BigBirdTA; 01-27-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

+1 on PVC.

Do yourself a favor. Spend 15 minutes and pull the throttle body off to inspect the inside of the manifold. Chances are, you'll find oil in there, confirming your PCV is not working properly. If that is the case, do a search here on the various setups that people are using.

Failing that, don't waste your money on quick fix remedies, that may mask the real problem at best. Was the scoring you noticed in the bore enough to catch a fingernail on? I'm assuming not, since you tried to remove it with a scotch brite pad. Was there a significant amount of oil in the combustion chamber?

If it's in the chamber, but not the manifold, there are only a couple ways for it to get there:
-Poor Ring Seal
-Poor Valve Seals
-Oil entering the Intake Ports from a thin casting/overporting at the rocker studs

I'd check the intake, and if it looks clean, pull it to check the intake ports. After that, valve seals are easy and inexpensive to replace when compared to the bottom end.

Here's hoping you find it in the first couple steps!

Last edited by hammertime; 01-27-2008 at 12:48 PM. Reason: edit - Man, a lot of replies while I typed. I'm too slow :o)
Old 01-27-2008, 12:47 PM
10 Second Club

Heads are brand new untouched Darts ( not ported ) so not likely to be these. Big B do you just vent your rocker covers to atmosphere?
Old 01-27-2008, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

the pcv is used to evacuate the crank case pressure from blow byand
it helps your rings seal by creating negative crank case pressure.
wide ring gaps are probably not a good idea on these motors.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

by the sound of it hes not running a pcv valve at all. just a straight hose from the valvecover to the throttle body, with his valley cover connected to a breather. hes probally sucking in crazy amounts of oil. it needs to be completely reworked. do a search on pcv and youll get alot of ideas. good luck
Old 01-27-2008, 03:07 PM
10 Second Club

Picture a thousand words an all that!
So a quick search reveals i should catch tank the one from the rocker??
Old 01-27-2008, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lstvr
Heads are brand new untouched Darts ( not ported ) so not likely to be these. Big B do you just vent your rocker covers to atmosphere?

YES. From what I hear, and my own experience with mine, it appears strokers make too much crankcase pressure. The stock PCV system cannot handle it because under acceleration, the oil pools in the back of the heads, under the valvecovers and get's sucked into the intake manifold via the PCV hose, helped by the crank pressure which finds the PCV hose as the only exit.

Texas Speed told me that I should install a catch-can and breathers or delete the PCV system altogether. My tuner said don't even bother with a catch-can. So out it went, just stay on top of your oil changes and use a quality oil.

Here's a pic of mine. There's block off's on the TB and a big breather on the valvecover.

Last edited by BigBirdTA; 01-27-2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Resident

yeah put a catch can on your system.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:54 AM
Launching!

catch can x2
Old 01-28-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Regular

what brand of rings?
Old 01-28-2008, 09:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You must use a sealant on the intake rocker arm bolts, as most ported heads leave the intake rocker arm bolt hole open through the intake port.
Without sealant, the oil is sucked past the rocker arm bolt into the intake port.

Russ Kemp
Old 01-29-2008, 12:33 PM
10 Second Club

Guys it looks like just simply putting the rocker cover breather to atmosphere has sorted it! I have run a pipe outa the engine bay and out by the front suspension so i dont fume up under the bonnet and into the cab. Did 100 miles or so today and its still where i started, time will tell but looks a bit more promising. Thanks