Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

NeEd SoMe ReAr EnD iDeAs!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation NeEd SoMe ReAr EnD iDeAs!

ok so, sometime this year or in the future im thinking of installing a mid-size cam into my car. i have a bone stock A4, and stock drivetrain. so my ? is is it worth it to beef this drive train up? or just go ahead and save the money for a 9" or 12 bolt and a 4l80E?
Old 02-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

People will have many opinions but I say throw a 9" in it and make it bullet proof. Especially if you hit the track.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's better a car that runs 12.5@108 or 12.5@118? Both run the same time, now which one has more money into it and what would you rather do, spend money to make more power and run more mph or spend more money to make the car faster and more constant.

It's easy to spend a lot of money on parts that make more power, but they are all useless if you don't have the chassis, traction and dependability of the drive train to make them work day after day.

Stock rear ends are junk, no matter what anyone tells you, once you start racing your car sooner or later it will break.

Buy a 9" and be done with it.

Before you get a cam I would look into getting a torque converter. More cam needs more stall and more gear, so unless you plan to change the rest a torque converter would be my first thing to buy.

Then I'd look into getting an adjustable torque arm and control arms and relocation brackets, then look into shocks and springs.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Build a car from the rear forward. As stated above a lot of power that can't be put on the ground is no fun.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Launching!

ok thanks guys, wondering if everyone else was feeding me some bs about these rears. but i guess they are as bad as people are saying. FWIW my rear hasnt given me any problem at the time, not saying it wont when i put a 3200 stall and h/c package on it!
Old 02-07-2008, 07:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I know from experience, i bought a built shortblock, installed a big cam, did my tranny, and a trq converter, and ran out of money for a rearend. I went to the track one time 2 hours away ran a 11.46 with an 80shot cutting 1.56 60' on stock rearend and drove it home. Now it just sits cause that night on the way home it made the most terrible sound i have heard from my rearend ever, and i now i am scared that it is going to break anytime, and i don't want to drive it till i have a built rear
Old 02-08-2008, 12:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by transam69230
I know from experience, i bought a built shortblock, installed a big cam, did my tranny, and a trq converter, and ran out of money for a rearend. I went to the track one time 2 hours away ran a 11.46 with an 80shot cutting 1.56 60' on stock rearend and drove it home. Now it just sits cause that night on the way home it made the most terrible sound i have heard from my rearend ever, and i now i am scared that it is going to break anytime, and i don't want to drive it till i have a built rear
i hear that bro. i dont know what ill do if i get to the track and my **** breaks. call GEICO and tell them my car is broke at the track, after i just raced it? i dont think thats covered so... i dunno!
Old 02-08-2008, 12:32 AM
TECH Regular

Guess it all depends on what you're planning on doing with the car... if you cruise alot and don't throw too much abuse at it (like me) I think the stock rear can be built to last... but if drag/road racing is in your future, you should probably invest a little more into the rear.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:24 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

The automatic equipped f body's do normally hang in there longer with the 10 bolt than the six speed ones do. Just don't get sucked into trying to make it stronger, as you'll be throwing your money away. Once it breaks any of us vendors would be more than happy to sell you a rear. Bob
Old 02-08-2008, 05:37 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Burger
Build a car from the rear forward. As stated above a lot of power that can't be put on the ground is no fun.
And thats exactly what my car is lol. Well said.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

Build your drivetrain first then do the H&C package.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I will offer to assist in the suspension, rear end, and chassis design. If we can sell you some parts that would be great. I will not sell stuff that is not right for what you want. I have worked through this issue with a few board members and recommended them to other vendors.

Let me know.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hammerdown2000
ok so, sometime this year or in the future im thinking of installing a mid-size cam into my car. i have a bone stock A4, and stock drivetrain. so my ? is is it worth it to beef this drive train up? or just go ahead and save the money for a 9" or 12 bolt and a 4l80E?
My friend let me help you out in realising something.

These 10 bolts are sh**. Plain and simple. I just broke mine a week ago. Yes I'm still pissed!!!

Save your money and get a 9 inch.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:09 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bboyxclub
My friend let me help you out in realising something.

These 10 bolts are sh**. Plain and simple. I just broke mine a week ago. Yes I'm still pissed!!!

Save your money and get a 9 inch.
I agree, and don't throw any money into the 10 bolt trying to beef it up, as it will still break. Bob
Old 02-09-2008, 09:16 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hammerdown...

if you don't plan on packing much more power to it, then a properly built 10 bolt will carry an auto car into the 10's and be reliable. but.. a properly built 10 bolt will cost 1500.00 parts and labor. for a few hundred more i can get you into a 12 bolt that will hold your power and some more. if you are planning on even heads and a bit more nitrous, then the 10 bolt is out of the question. if you are planning on any suspension mods, then the Midwest fabricated 9 inch setup is the way to go. you will get the torque arm and other features for less than a standard 9 inch and suspension components to go with it. been there, did that.

as far as the auto goes, i would say the 4l60e properly built from one of the vendors here will be the way to go. the cost of a 4l80e and the mods required to fit it in the car will be more than you need and will want to go through. been there, did that.

just giving you some insight on my experiences with what you are asking about.