Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFR still the best LSX head on the market?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AFR still the best LSX head on the market?

AFR makes the best head right?
Old 02-15-2008, 12:23 PM
TECH Junkie

i'd say for aftermarket castings...its a toss up between AFR and Trickflow now.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AFR or ETP.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think Trickflow is better
Old 02-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

I like the RHS 210 heads myself
Old 02-15-2008, 04:02 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Aftermarket castings are a funny thing...

I say ETP 215 is the best for most 346 to 385CI engines..

The AFR 205 is right behind it

Properly Ported Darts are as good as the ET and AFR but u might have more $$ into them in the long run once done..

TFS too $$$ with aftermarket rockers needed...
Old 02-15-2008, 05:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the AFRs used to be the top dog but have fallen way behind the New ETP and TFS heads... although its all opinion.. I am just going off of the dynos I've seen.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:48 PM
Teching In

what about the new all pro heads out, althought they are very $$$
Old 02-15-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

trick flow and etp are better
Old 02-15-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

And the debate continues..... I'd like to know as well!
Old 02-16-2008, 04:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

trickflow make the most out of the box on stock cubes last time i checked
Old 02-16-2008, 07:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks fellas, tax check is comin soon
Old 02-16-2008, 10:29 AM

AFR 1st
ETP 2nd
Trick flow 3rd. Not a lot of guys running the TFS heads now, and they do need new rockers.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I could say what I think, but then I would just be like everyone else who already posted. Just stating opinion with no facts to back it up.

I have a set of AFRs waiting to be put on right now, and they look beautiful. Also, I had them flowed locally and the numbers and within 2 cfm of what AFR advertises.

Any of the premium heads are comparable, but its the rest of the combination that makes it fast. Search for the combos that work and base your's off of those results.

Jon
Old 02-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Banned

the results that we've seen is that the ETP heads and similarly set up trickflows produce very similar numbers. AFR's are great heads, but fall short of the other two.

with trick flow heads you have to use aftermarket rockers, and depending on the cam, you'll need to run an aggressive valve spring to compensate for the extra weight of the roller rockers. when set up properly, ETP and Trick Flow are top dogs in the horsepower game as of now.

RHS is pretty much the same as an ETP head - and they are a little more expensive which is why we prefer ETP's.

honestly - if you didn't want to spend the dough on the ETP's or Trick Flow heads, i would just use the tried and true Patriot Heads. for the money, you can't be the performance.

if anyone wants to talk more about options, pricing, advice... feel free to call me at the number below.

and remember...
FREE SHIPPING ON CYLINDER HEADS!
Old 02-16-2008, 11:42 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by davered00ss
AFR 1st
ETP 2nd
Trick flow 3rd. Not a lot of guys running the TFS heads now, and they do need new rockers.

If you're talking performance, not opinion.

ETP out performs the AFR.

TFS, regardless of needing rockers, out performs the AFR.

With a little work to a Dart head, out performs the AFR.

It has been proven.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:39 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And the AFR will a little work kicks all their asses. The AFR is a 205 and none of the other are. Why dont you look at who runs the fastest with a 346 ?

Dyno numbers dont mean **** when it come to track times. Do some real research and pull some real numbers to get the truth.

The ET's dn Trickflows have bigger runners.. whats does that do to your bottom end which then effects the top end.

IF you want to look at it that way then throw some 225's on there. They were made for ther same bore.

I havent seen one post by anyone on here with actually helpful information.
Speed inc says numbers wich infers dyno numbers...lets see track results. Who are the quickest N/A cars out there and what head do they run?

That is the way you determine which head is better. Then you set a budget and meet your budget.

Only one head has been consistently in the winners circle at the track that I've seen on here.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 02-16-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
And the AFR will a little work kicks all their asses. The AFR is a 205 and none of the other are. Why dont you look at who runs the fastest with a 346 ?

Dyno numbers dont mean **** when it come to track times. Do some real research and pull some real numbers to get the truth.

The ET's dn Trickflows have bigger runners.. whats does that do to your bottom end which then effects the top end.

Speed inc says numbers wich infers dyno numbers...lets see track results. Who are the quickest N/A cars out there and what head do they run?

That is the way you determine which head is better. Then you set a budget and meet your budget.

Only one head has been consistently in the winners circle at the track that I've seen on here.
I would assume the fastest 346 has AFR's because they were the best at the time, look at the date of the record, then the build.

In this case, dyno comparisons would be the most logical way to measure, providing the conditions and dyno are the same. Measuring ET's wouldn't be the best. Too many variables from vehicle weight, driver etc. it would be almost impossible to mimic the variables for let alone 2 runs, not 3 or 4 or 5.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS

IF you want to look at it that way then throw some 225's on there. They were made for ther same bore.

Track results dont mean **** when it comes to power either, thats more the car itself rather than power. Too many cars with only a lil over 300 rwhp outrunning 500rwhp cars by a mile at the track. I would say the dyno does mean alot. Power is power. Take the heads off of a car and replace them with a set that make more power and torque and that car is gonna go quicker and faster all other things equal.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:55 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The reality is dyno's dont determine how quick a car is. Its a bogus way to look at it.

Your right look at the build date, has it been beat yet? The how does it lose until it gets beat. Dyno numbers dont mean **** unless your out for a dyno war.

I've been there and done that. The larger intake runners make it more sluggish off the line.

You also come out and back up my post and dont even know it...
Too many cars with only a lil over 300 rwhp outrunning 500rwhp cars by a mile at the track
Why do you think that is? Because a peak number on the dyno doesnt mean **** at the track.

**** man look at the facts of it all.
First of all have you ever dyno tested a car? You get a rolling start. It is not indicative of what the car does from a dead stop. ITs indicative of a roll race.

Speed and quikness is made from the avg number not the peak number.

If your car puts down 450 hp at 6800 rpms you need to be at 6800 rpms to have that 450 working for you. The low and mid lift numbers now become most important. Velocity is achieved by the runner size and shape.

Why do you think stage 3 heads are reserved for all out track cars? Because all they care about is max power at the top. They are leaving the line at 4500-7000 rpms and so all that matters is the upper end to them. They hog out the runners and none of them will recommend you run it on a street car.

Look for who's fastest N/A to know what head is better.

And honestly I say this without looking at the chart to see what's number one. Last time I looked Cartek had a bunch of top cars with their ported oem heads on them.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 02-16-2008 at 01:24 PM.

Quick Reply: AFR still the best LSX head on the market?