Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front sway bar removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front sway bar removal

i have been told from many people that taking off the front sway bar will allow better traction at the track. Is this true and how safe is it for passes down the track and having to get the brakes at the big end

-Matt-
Old 02-16-2008, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Many people running track only cars have no font swaybar. Just put it back on for the street regardless of what some will tell you.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:26 PM

The car is pretty much just a track car i appreciate the help i dont plan on having it off on the streets i was just wondering about the track i didnt want to meet the wall
Old 02-17-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've heard it allows better weight transfer without it. Giving better traction. But I would never want to even drive my car down my street without the front bar.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Regular

I've had mine off the car for a couple of years and I always drive it on the street. It's not so bad. I don't go crazy on curves though or anything. I usually just take it easy if I'm no going in a strait line. I have a spool anyway.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:04 PM
12 Second Club

i know a few people that have no front sway bar and drive it on the streets all the time. you will be fine w/o it.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:19 PM

I appreciate all the imput the car isnt a car i drive much on the streets just to the car wash on nice sunny days
Old 02-17-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Junkie

His question was about how safe will he be going down the track and then braking at the end.

We already have a huge useless thread with no information or explaination from anyone why they would or wouldn't run their swaybar on the street.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28bryan
His question was about how safe will he be going down the track and then braking at the end.

We already have a huge useless thread with no information or explaination from anyone why they would or wouldn't run their swaybar on the street.
good point. so lets answer his question...

You shouldn't have much more noticeable nose dive at the end when braking. Springs take the majority of that downward force on the front end. The swaybar really helps in corners or say... when you have to avoid someone on the street

At the track you'll be fine with it removed. Take it off and run it. Should make a noticeable difference from what Ive seen.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:54 AM
TECH Addict

If you drive your car on the street at all leave it on. If you swerve to miss another car, an animal or a person it will not respond the way you would be used to and could cause a crash. Plus even your general road handling will suffer to the point the car can be scary to drive on even the slightest of curves. The benefits of keeping it on outweigh the disadvantages by light years.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by z28bryan

You will be perfectly fine with it out. You will have greater weight transfer, and while you turn you will have some body roll while turning, but it's not much. Other than that, just make sure you have good alignment, so when you're braking on the other end your ride will stay straight with the weight transfer to the front w no sway bar.

And you will be fine to cruise on the street too, just be easy in cornering
Old 02-18-2008, 07:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok I just want to be sure I know what your talking about. Is the front sway bar the bar that you see in pictures that goes over the motor? Its connected to like the two front wheel wells...
Old 02-18-2008, 08:02 AM
12 Second Club

Nope thats the strut tower brace. The front sway bar is the bar under the front of the car that is bolted in through the A arms. Never had mine off my trans am but I broke the sway bar links off my lifted wrangler and that was pretty dangerous to drive. Granted I have 6 inches of lift and 35 inch tires but it was a noticable difference and would not reccomend it on the street. Also you dont have to remove the bar for better wieght transfer. You can just unbolt it from the A arms. The only bennifit from removing it is saving 12 pounds in wieght. Good luck and be safe.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep the ends connected and just un bolt the U-brackets. This keeps the side to side presence and a noticble gain in my 60' by allowing more fron ent travel.(-.15-.18 consintenly off my average 1.5xx) i think I may be the only one who does this??