Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Can I use this turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 09:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Can I use this turbo?

I plan on building an iron block 6.0L using the stock crank and I have a good friend making me a VERY good deal on a Garret 76mm, .96 AR, T-4 (small frame) sleeved bearing. It also has a polished compressor housing, was ported by HP turbo's, and is almost brand spanking new. Can I use this, is it the right turbo for what I'm trying to do? My buddie went 9.37 @ 144 in his fox mustang with this turbo, he's selling it to me because he had a vaccum line blow off of the intake and it detonated, jacked a piston and a head up. He's staying T-4 flanged but going with a bigger compressor (I think).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6MnAwDd34Y
Thanks

Hummer
Old 02-25-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

It should be great for normal street fun, but it isn't big enough for a max effort strip build on a 6.0L. BTW, you asked if it is right for what you are trying to do, but then you never said what you are trying to do.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:44 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by gametech
It should be great for normal street fun, but it isn't big enough for a max effort strip build on a 6.0L. BTW, you asked if it is right for what you are trying to do, but then you never said what you are trying to do.

Thanks for the reply, sorry I didnt explain myself very well. I just meant will it work well on 360-370 cubes (6.oL) with a L92/L76 combo up top. I plan on keeping it 6 speed and I have a decent suspension setup (qa1 singles, Moser 9", MadMan outlaw T/A, MadMan control arms & panhard) Also the car is pretty much full weight. So if this little 76 isnt enough what would you reccomend?
Old 02-27-2008, 03:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are your goals for your car?
Old 02-27-2008, 05:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 76 will get you low into 10's for sure. You should be able to make the power to be a solid 9 second car. With a th400 or powerglide maybe even a low 9 second car if everything is perfect.

t76 is about as big as small framed turbo's get. If you want to go bigger, and faster most will go to t88, or maybe a s91 from forced inductions.

With the 76 your limiting factor would probably be your tans, which will probably be the same problem i run into.

With a 76 you should be able to get somewhere between 700-800 rwhp.

Good luck, Chris
Old 02-27-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was going to post here, but Sideways said it all already. There's an occasional high 8 second car with a 76 small-frame.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sideways240sx
The 76 will get you low into 10's for sure. You should be able to make the power to be a solid 9 second car. With a th400 or powerglide maybe even a low 9 second car if everything is perfect.

t76 is about as big as small framed turbo's get. If you want to go bigger, and faster most will go to t88, or maybe a s91 from forced inductions.

With the 76 your limiting factor would probably be your tans, which will probably be the same problem i run into.

With a 76 you should be able to get somewhere between 700-800 rwhp.

Good luck, Chris
Originally Posted by engineermike
I was going to post here, but Sideways said it all already. There's an occasional high 8 second car with a 76 small-frame.
Thanks guys! I appreciate the input. My buddie with the turbo talked to Jose @ forced inductions today (I think he's a member here), anyway a T4 will work but for maximum efficiency on a 360-370 cube motor a T6 would be a better fit. I may just go with the little 76 and give it a shot and later upgrade to a T6, maybe a 80mm. Keep the good ideas coming!
Old 02-27-2008, 11:08 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

I would definately run that turbo for now. You have to remember you dont need 7-800hp in a street car, and you wil be able to do bottom 10s on that no problem. Once you get the car settled in and dialed in, I would go to a SX80, that should take you to bottom 9s easy enough.
Gary
Old 02-28-2008, 05:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Grr
...and you wil be able to do bottom 10s on that no problem. Once you get the car settled in and dialed in, I would go to a SX80, that should take you to bottom 9s easy enough.
The T4 76 will get you to bottom 9's, even on 370 cid.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:53 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Grr
I would definately run that turbo for now. You have to remember you dont need 7-800hp in a street car, and you wil be able to do bottom 10s on that no problem. Once you get the car settled in and dialed in, I would go to a SX80, that should take you to bottom 9s easy enough.
Gary
Originally Posted by engineermike
The T4 76 will get you to bottom 9's, even on 370 cid.
Thanks guys! I appreciate the answers, I think I'm gonna buy it now. I hope I know what I'm getting myself into.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:02 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER
Thanks guys! I appreciate the answers, I think I'm gonna buy it now. I hope I know what I'm getting myself into.
The only thing i can say. Coming from experience because my kit is almost done, is you will spend alot more then you plan on. You could take a month do all the research in the world, make the most detailed lists, and you will be forgetting stuff. As long as your not building the car paycheck to paycheck you should be fine. WHen i did mine i had an idea in the back of my head, but when ever i needed something i just bought it. I have spent alot more then i thought, but i did some things to the car i didn't plan on doing this winter, and i am very happy i did.

Good luck, Chris
Old 02-28-2008, 11:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sideways240sx
The only thing i can say. Coming from experience because my kit is almost done, is you will spend alot more then you plan on. You could take a month do all the research in the world, make the most detailed lists, and you will be forgetting stuff. As long as your not building the car paycheck to paycheck you should be fine. WHen i did mine i had an idea in the back of my head, but when ever i needed something i just bought it. I have spent alot more then i thought, but i did some things to the car i didn't plan on doing this winter, and i am very happy i did.

Good luck, Chris
Thanks, I do plan on it costing me out the butt. You building yours or is it a kit?

Quick Reply: Can I use this turbo?