Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

centrifugal charger vs turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default centrifugal charger vs turbo

does a centrifugal charger have any benefits over a turbo?
Old 03-02-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Resident

Generally speaking, yes. Most would probably say since it's a self-contained unit, you're not running the same oil that you're enigne's using to cool a turbo that can get VERY hot at times (oil does burn and break down faster at higher temps) and less maintenance (from what I've read overall here), as well as less piping to worry about and a more linear power band.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

what about the power lost turning the charger? does this mean a bigger charger would be needed to make a certain hp over a turbo?
Old 03-02-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by toughy v8
what about the power lost turning the charger? does this mean a bigger charger would be needed to make a certain hp over a turbo?
Eh not quite sure on the size. You don't loose too much power spinning the centris. A D1 can push over 650rwhp and it has the same outer dimentions as a P1 blower. I believe the turbos may actually take up a bit more space to make the same power once you start getting up to those numbers, it may be a back-and-fourth battle there. F1's are quite large but so are T76's and such.

All-in-all blowers and turbos are capable of the same kinda power and track times (unless you go absolutely crazy power, turbo's gonna win out usually) but blowers will make less torque since they're making less boost @ max. cyl. head pressure RPMs. and less power early on.

Might wanna try a search
Old 03-02-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lower price (on the entry level units), complexity, lower underhood temps come to mind. What are your goals and intended use?

Jim
Old 03-02-2008, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

5-600 whp would be nice nothing mental, or un useable and for a blow thru set up
Old 03-02-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've been around both and can tell that just with the better powerunder the curve (average power though out the RPM band) of a turbo, I would rate 10psi on a centrifugal to about 6-7 psi on a turbo in how fast the car is. Both can make about the same peek number at similar boost psi numbers, but the centrifugal will have a lower average number making it slower overall.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have driven both types .. An sts turbo ls1 and lt1 and an ati ls1 and ati m6 lt1. The 5 psi sts cars felt as fast or maybe even faster than the 8psi ati cars. Although the ati ls1 was auto, the sts cars were m6 cars. This was going up thru the gears in each car .

The centrifical get more and more boost as rpm increases. This can actually help traction as the turbos can hit hard and put out much more boost much lower in the rpm band. Eg the turbo can hit say full spool at 3000rpm and carry that to redline. The centrifical will put out say 2 psi at 3000, 4 psi at 5000, etc. Just pulling numbers out of my hat but think you can see the principle here. On the track the centrificals turn great times. At the track you are revving them up high so the differences is not as great as going up slowly thru the gears.

You can help centrificals to get up there sooner with things like a stall in an auto and you can gear down if you are in a higher gear in a manual. Downshifting will help of course in the auto too.
One advantage of the magnacharger is they get more boost lower in the rpm bands and have no lag. Bigger turbos will have some lag but v8s help in that department if you don't go huge. I wouldn't be overly worried about the power drain from running the supers. They put out more than enough additonal power to not worry about losing some from parasitic losses.

Reliability is pretty close on both. Turbos have gone 100,000 plus miles on many factory cars. Their is now a mangacharger type setup for our cars. Its nice to have options.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:37 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

ATI ProCharger has been around for over twelve years, giving it's customers a very good support system. Bob
Old 03-04-2008, 06:45 AM
TECH Resident

Turbo's can be finicky (is that a word?). tempermental if u will. They all kick *** though. Got my first ride in a turbo car just recently. Twin charged ls1 firebird. holy horse **** batman!!! These things kickied in right before 3k, and wow, it was like be hit in the back by a car!! talk about whip lash!

Quick Reply: centrifugal charger vs turbo