LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Setting Roller Rockers- Help plz

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting Roller Rockers- Help plz

Im switching from my nitrous cam to a motor cam and it has been six years since we did this upgrade. the car has been garaged and now its my daily driver. any help on setting them would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by TheBlackZ28; 03-09-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go one cylinder at a time, follow the firing order if you want. But to keep things less complicated you are probably best off to do one bank then the other, front to back or back to front or whatever you please. Anyhow, when the exhaust valve on that particular hole begins to open, adjust the intake to zero lash and add the desired preload(depending on what lifters you have could be from 1/4 turn to 1.5 turns).

Then, turn the motor until the intake valve opens, and when the intake valve fully closes, adjust your exhaust. This is about the safest and most fool proof way you can do it.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by fergymoto
Go one cylinder at a time, follow the firing order if you want. But to keep things less complicated you are probably best off to do one bank then the other, front to back or back to front or whatever you please. Anyhow, when the exhaust valve on that particular hole begins to open, adjust the intake to zero lash and add the desired preload(depending on what lifters you have could be from 1/4 turn to 1.5 turns).

Then, turn the motor until the intake valve opens, and when the intake valve fully closes, adjust your exhaust. This is about the safest and most fool proof way you can do it.
good advice, but beware it is still easy to get confused using this method. trust me, i use it and ive messed up before
Old 03-09-2008, 08:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes but practice makes perfect!
Old 03-09-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

if it's an LS1 they have no lash setting. you simply set the bolt to torque specs. I believe it's 22 ft-lbs. I simply took them off swapped pushrods and put them back in place and tightened them up. simple as that with these engines
Old 03-09-2008, 09:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1Falcon
good advice, but beware it is still easy to get confused using this method. trust me, i use it and ive messed up before
Yup this can be....I always believe the best way is with the motor up and running, this can be messy though but I usually do it the static way then I go the ole school route of loosing until clatter then tighten them up until you reach zero lash and the noise stops, then go 1/4 more turn or to your liking,
Some like to go 1/8th up to 1/2 a turn after zero lash....
Old 03-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys and no its a lt1 93 z28. does anyone happen to know where to get some aftermarket valve covers with the chevy logo for these cars? i have found polished, black, stock, stock powder coated, etc. i want a lil extra attention getter under the hood. ty.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlackZ28
Thanks guys and no its a lt1 93 z28. does anyone happen to know where to get some aftermarket valve covers with the chevy logo for these cars? i have found polished, black, stock, stock powder coated, etc. i want a lil extra attention getter under the hood. ty.
Some shop on E-bay has them in a polished finish, with the notch already in the RH cover to clear the alternator, however they're only stock height. It might make a difference, depending on what you're running for valve train.

Do a search, LT-1 valve covers.

Quick Reply: Setting Roller Rockers- Help plz