Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Subframe Connector ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subframe Connector ??

I got a good deal on some SLP Bolt On Subframes that are brand new and never been used, I have heard a few people tell me I should weld them in even though they are supposed to bolt right up is there really that much of a difference or should I just bolt them up and leave them be?
Old 03-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

I look at it this way: If you bolt them up, they WILL loosen after awhile.
But if you weld them they won't.

If you don't think that way, then bolt them up.

Either way, it's ultimately what YOU want.

Scott
Old 03-12-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you don't want to weld them in, locking washers and Loc-tite are your friend.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

I am not one that just goes the easy route thats why I ask others opinions some people have experience and I dont want to have to keep tightening the bolts every so often I didnt know if loc-tite would hold or if I could just have someone weld on the bolt on subframes
Old 03-13-2008, 12:08 AM
12 Second Club

I have boxed sub frame connectors, bolt in and used loc tite, never once have they ever needed to be tightened up. I installed them around 2003 and was my daily driver and car has made 200+ passes at the track and they still are perfect. About 3 months ago I changed the oil and decided it would be a good time to check the sub frame connectors, not loose at all. So I would say bolt in works just fine with no constant tightening. Also keep in mind, depending on what type of SFC's you have they may need to be unbolted to install a new catback etc. I did once need to loosen 1 side when I was putting in a driveshaft safety loop and catback adjustment.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:42 PM
Teching In

I had the SLP bolt ons on my 1998 Z28 for almost three years and never had any issues with the bolts coming loose.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the SLP bolt on sub frame connectors. I have them welded in. Just one more thing I don't have to worry about.

Originally Posted by rotwiler
Also keep in mind, depending on what type of SFC's you have they may need to be unbolted to install a new catback etc. I did once need to loosen 1 side when I was putting in a driveshaft safety loop and catback adjustment.
Yea. Do not weld the center mounting points. Just weld along the side of the SFC and also at the bolt mounting areas.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

i had mine welded..all my friends with camaros tell me they feel a big difference from there cars without sub-fram connectors
Old 03-15-2008, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

I have UMI 2pts that are bolted in and I havent had them loosen up yet, given theyve only been on for a few thousand miles.

FWIW I used loctite and the hardware they supplied with the connectors.

How many parts on our cars are just bolted in and not welded? With that said how often do you end up tightning everything up? I figure this is nothing different.

I prefer to only bolt mine in because I might wanna sell the car and if I do I rather demod it and sell the car stock and the mods separate and unbolting is way easier then cutting welds.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:54 AM
TECH Addict

Some people prefer to have them welded for peace of mind but bolt in ones are fine too. Nobody I know with bolt on SFC's has had them come loose.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the SLP bolt in's. I had them as bolt in for 4 years then decided to get them welded in. I had one bolt come loose in 4 years.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

getting them welded is just an extra precationary. like its said most have never come loose but you never know. a lot of people get them bolted up and then just weld them for the hell of it. if your racing a lot i would get them welded. just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Subframe Connector ??