LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

bad lifter??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad lifter??

So after the hellish rain storm last night and not driving the car. I get in it to go to school this morning only to start it and hear a horrifying noise.

I'm not TO sure where its coming from but it sounds like its coming from the valve covers or around the back on the engine.

The sound sounds like its on a damn pin wheel. Metal taping when the RPM's (more so a clanking sound thats pretty loud).
The sound also speeds up with the RPM's. I plan on taking the valve covers off tomorrow and taking a look but i just wanted a second opinion.

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b3...t=P3190001.flv

Thanks.
B

Last edited by 97BBlackZ; 03-19-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

loose rocker, broken stud, bent pushrod?...... explain the "pin wheel noise" we need more info man.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

Well its much like a clanking sound. It speeds up with the RPMs and it can be heard WELL outside the car and inside it. Kind of like a peice of metal going around it a circle and slamming into something metal.

Really thats the only way i know of explaining it. I can try to get a video of it if that will help.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Hydro-Lock

Sounds to me like a rod knock.

Hope it turns out to be something else, but from the sounds of it... Well...

I just seen it too many times.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

well how would rain had gotten into the intake and by rod which one do you mean???
Old 03-19-2008, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

does it still do it when its warm. could be piston slap, if it only doing it on start up.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Checkmate007
Hydro-Lock

huh... from a rain storm? wth ? that seems pretty unlikely man

ya man get a video up here asap.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hydro-Lock

just proves his complete utter ignorance...YET AGAIN!
Old 03-19-2008, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Well if he didnt drive it or start it up in a huge puddle, then I would wager to say it was whatever he did the night before. Still sounds like a rod knock to me. 'Course, all these wise guys in here shuold be able to tell you what else to check.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

K i just tookone i'll post it in a sec
Old 03-19-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

the almighty checkmate007....the biggest ******* idiot on tech. it could be from hydro lock...but its not going to hydrolock on start up unless the car is in a damn lake...

and if it ran just fine before it was shut off it shouldnt be hydrolocked plus the air filter is up out of the elements...

my guess is a bent or broken pushrod. a collapsed lifter. a loose rocker arm. a rocker arm off a broken valvespring or POSSIBLY a bad header gasket...

my honest opinion is it sounds like a broken valve spring a bent pushrod or a collapsed lifter. but by the sound im leaning more towards a broken valve spring. but deff post a video and let us listen.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by zrocket_99
does it still do it when its warm. could be piston slap, if it only doing it on start up.

If its piston slap its the WORST piston slap i ever heard. I didn't do much the night before maybe got on it here and there. Never all the way. And it was sitting a full day and half before i started it this morning.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

Video uploading in the 1st Post.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

that sounds horrible... but i think if you look you might find a bent pushrod or a broken spring. if the valvetrain looks ok. run a compression test on the cylinder that you think its coming from. do you have roller rockers by any chance?
Old 03-19-2008, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 97badass
that sounds horrible... but i think if you look you might find a bent pushrod or a broken spring. if the valvetrain looks ok. run a compression test on the cylinder that you think its coming from. do you have roller rockers by any chance?
yes i do. I KNOW its had a problem with a damn RR before as the dude i bought it from said it happened once and he replaced everything to make sure it was all good. So i'm thinking it that.

When its light outside im going to take off the valve covers and take a look so i guess i'll start there. Is it ok to leave it running sounding like THAT though?
Old 03-19-2008, 10:37 PM
Launching!

wow I couldn't even stand to listen to the whole clip.

I'd get a stethoscope and probe around, and pull the valve covers to check it all out.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97BBlackZ
yes i do. I KNOW its had a problem with a damn RR before as the dude i bought it from said it happened once and he replaced everything to make sure it was all good. So i'm thinking it that.

When its light outside im going to take off the valve covers and take a look so i guess i'll start there. Is it ok to leave it running sounding like THAT though?
no i would deffinatly leave it off and not start it anymore till you KNOW what is wrong.

i would wait till in the morning if i were you to look. or just wait till your off work or school tomorrow. either way i wouldnt run your wheel of fortune car.... just trying to make ya smile.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

HOLY CRAP i just listened to that video BY NO MEANS even think of starting that thing up again without looking under the valvecover. I couldn't even listen to the whole clip. ugh. dude I can almost guarantee you that is a valvetrain issue. it's either a collapsed lifter, bent/broken pushrod, ( i doubt it'd be a rocker problem) or a broken spring, but if it's a broken spring you'll probably have a deystroyed valve and guide. what was the previous rocker problem tho ?

personally I'm banking this is a pushrod/lifter problem. you have to get that valve cover off asap. take some pics and post them up of what you find.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pro_built7
HOLY CRAP i just listened to that video BY NO MEANS even think of starting that thing up again without looking under the valvecover. I couldn't even listen to the whole clip. ugh. dude I can almost guarantee you that is a valvetrain issue. it's either a collapsed lifter, bent/broken pushrod, ( i doubt it'd be a rocker problem) or a broken spring, but if it's a broken spring you'll probably have a deystroyed valve and guide. what was the previous rocker problem tho ?

personally I'm banking this is a pushrod/lifter problem. you have to get that valve cover off asap. take some pics and post them up of what you find.
Will do. It'll have to be in the morning though since it sitting out front. I'm not sure of the exact problem it had before all i know is that he had to replace them.

Do i have to take the heads off if it is a collapsed lifter?
Old 03-19-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Resident

Well if he didnt drive it or start it up in a huge puddle, then I would wager to say it was whatever he did the night before. Still sounds like a rod knock to me. 'Course, all these wise guys in here shuold be able to tell you what else to check.
dude now don't get offended and start making personal attacks on me here but--- are you really a mechanic, and how many years if so? based on this thread and other ones it seems like you just throw out random things that don't make total sense.. hydro lock? from a rain storm? come on dude.. although possible (I guess?) thats so unbelieveably unlikely its ridiculous. now im not dissing on you b/c the things you say 'could' be possible i guess. but they aren't things a mechanic of your claimed level and ability would say? just curious...

that would be some pretty damn hellacious rod knock- sounds valvetrain related more so. it sounds like the ticks are too seperated to be rod knock. (refer to previous post)