General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Is This Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is This Normal?

I have a 1999 Firehawk, and I recently flushed the radiator about a month ago (did a complete flush of the radiator, block, even pulled the reservoir out and cleaned that from top to bottom). I went out this morning to do a general maintenance check, and the the coolant was a bright orange and there was some gummy crap on the dipstick again. I don't know anything about this dextron stuff. Is this normal? or do I need to do another flush?
Old 04-05-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mention it was bright orange as if that is odd. Which makes me ask, did you use green coolant?

If so, that's your problem. You need to get the entire system flushed out and go ahead and do your research about what to replace it with. The two coolant types react badly when mixed. If you've mixed them people's opinions vary about how to handle it.

I recommend a thorough full flush and replacement with dex cool.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:30 PM

he's right they don't mix well at all if you still had some of the green left in there the dextron wont be good you have to totally flush your system fulll like run just water through the system a few times.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Banned

I have a strange feeling he's talking about the gummy crap on the dipstick.

Originally Posted by 09jyounger
there was some gummy crap on the dipstick again.
It needs to be flushed better and all the air purged out, or just don't worry about the gummy stuff on the stick unless it gets worse or starts running hot.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

"Gummy crap on the dipstick again." -> If it looks like alien slime, it could be power steering fluid. Check the level of your power steering reservoir and make sure you don't have a leak. The power steering cooler is in-line with a coolant hose and can go bad.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Regular

A common diagnosis for an orange or yellow coolant is engine oil leakage. This is where the oil leaks into the coolant, but not vice versa. It could happen at the oil pan, head gasket, or intake manifold. If I recall correctly, power steering lines run independently on the 98+ F-bodies, so it's unlikely for PS fluid to get into the coolant.

The TA manual states that Dexcool must be used to minimize corrosion, but a guy at Meineke claimed that the green type works just as well, since GM has used it for "over 40 years." Can someone confirm the validity of this statement?

I'm not so sure that a mixture of the green and Dexcool fluids could create a bright orange color...
Old 04-06-2008, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

well i used dexcool, and flushed the whole system. as for the guy at Meineke, he is right. If you do a complete flush of your system to get the dexcool out, you can run green coolant with no problems. I'm debating on just taking my car to a shop and having the system completely flushed and have the green coolant put in.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

well i did a check of everything, and the oil level is fine, no milk-shake like consistency oil, no rust or anything like that under the oil cap. (there was some residue, but it wasn't from any anti-freeze leaking into the system. Radiator level is fine, nothing on the inside of the radiator. the coolant is just a brighter orange, and the residue is just on the dipstick, no where else. I think it was just left over crap I didn't get. (wouldn't surprise me, garden hose doesn't have alot of pressure)
Old 04-06-2008, 05:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Crimsonnaire
The TA manual states that Dexcool must be used to minimize corrosion, but a guy at Meineke claimed that the green type works just as well, since GM has used it for "over 40 years." Can someone confirm the validity of this statement?
It's bullshit, yes they used green for 40 years IN ALL IRON ENGINES WITH BRASS RADIATORS.
Look at all the aluminum in an LS1, EVERYTHING the coolant touches is aluminum, stainless steel, plastic, and a little bit of brass for the sensors.
No iron at all.
New engine material-new coolant.

I agree green can be used in anything.

Dexcool is not giving you a problem, whatever is not right is giving the problem.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:18 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by 09jyounger
well i did a check of everything, and the oil level is fine, no milk-shake like consistency oil, no rust or anything like that under the oil cap. (there was some residue, but it wasn't from any anti-freeze leaking into the system. Radiator level is fine, nothing on the inside of the radiator. the coolant is just a brighter orange, and the residue is just on the dipstick, no where else. I think it was just left over crap I didn't get. (wouldn't surprise me, garden hose doesn't have alot of pressure)

What about your power steering fluid level? (The goo from my old power steering leak only showed up on the coolant dipstick.)
Old 04-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Banned

Do this at your own risk. One time I used some nasty leak sealer in a 2000 S10 with Dexcool. It made the reservoir look like it had oil in it.
I drained it, flushed it twice. You need to flush everything, down to the little hose to the reservoir, heater, TB hoses.
After I flushed the S10 I put a gallon of castrol super clean in it and water, no thermostat. Started cold let it run until just warm, let it sit til cold, run again til warm.
Flushed it two or three times.
Replaced the leaky radiator, cleaned the reservoir.
Added new water and Dexcool and problem solved.

It would help to remove the block drain to get the gunk that settles to the bottom out but I'm not sure where that is on an LS1.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use of orange coolant doesn't equate to coolant problems, it's maintenance.

As long as you change coolant on schedule (ie don't run it for 100k or longer than 3-4 years), you will be fine. Also check for acidity within the coolant. A simple pool strip tester will save you in the long run.

Don't mix orange or green, choose one or the other. Both are safe for the most part. Just flush it out completely.

Those with in line PS coolers have to monitor that as that line tends to get corroded (due to acidity within the coolant) and hence PS oil and coolant mix.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

One of the larger reasons to use a long-life coolant like dex cool is aluminum systems like ours won't show the expected conventional brown rust signal. This is one of the bigger risks people take because conventional green coolant only has a ~2 year service life... but less proactive people (read - 99% of drivers) expect to see it darken before they do anything about it.

Dex cool, on the other hand, is laced with the weakness of being very touchy to any compromise in purity. Just a little green coolant or even hard water added in an emergency compromises it to some extent or another and if left unchecked can cause sludge.

I agree that if you can fully flush out the system, either dex cool or old school green is fine. Don't mix them. Get it fully clean before picking either. And you just have to be more proactive with the green stuff and remember to flush it more often.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Banned

i say power steering cooler is leaking into the coolent!