Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

h/c opinons

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default h/c opinons

ok im starting to look for stuff now im so unsure of what i should get i want to get a nice head and cam to make any where from 430-460 on a stock ci ls1. so which head and cam should i be looking at i was thinking of a ms3 but hear they dont have good low bottom end.im looking for somthing for street and strip. any one got any ideas? already got the bolt ons on the car. and its got the ls6 intakeif that helps with the hp goals to help me desided.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't beat the TSP packages. What the MS3 lacks in the lower RPMs can be made up for with either a converter for the autos or a set of gears for the M6s.

I've got the PRC Stg 2.5 5.3 heads and the MS3 and I'm very happy with it
Old 04-09-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh yes forgot to metion that its a m6 also what size gears would i need if i would use a ms3. but please id like to hear some more opinions as many as i can get.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

not sure about packages but I can tell you those AFR 205, 215, 225 and TFS heads with a FAST 90 or 92 mm intake make great power with the right cam! since you're a street/strip car, I'd go with a mid sized cam... something like 23x/23x. I'm sure there are other heads out there that also make good power (ex. 5.3) and are not really pricey like these but I've seen numbers and those heads/intake are a great combination hands down
Old 04-10-2008, 12:46 AM
10 Second Club

Try looking a Futrals F14 cam.. My buddies 2001 Formula made 464rwhp and 430rwtrq through a stock converter A4 and the same heads I have. TFS 215cc.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

TFS 515hp top-end kit.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:57 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT1-DAN
TFS 515hp top-end kit.
Or that!! I forgot about that one. Also Allan @ Futrals will custom spec you a cam if you like. Just call, tell him what you got and what you want your car to do and let Allan hook you up!! I told Allan I wanted to run 11.0s @ the track and he built my motor. I am just waiting for my Strange 12 bolt to come in so I can put it on and see what it runs @ the track..
Old 04-10-2008, 01:03 AM
Launching!

I love my combo, I had stock 342s, and a ten bolt. Just ordered my nine inch with 389 gears, so I'll lose some power on the dyno, but be faster on the streets and track. Great power throughout the entire rpm band and peaks at 6400. The only thing I would want is the sound of an ms4 or ms3. My entire mods in my sig.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What kind of head, cam, intake setup did he set you up with? He custom ground my cam for me recently, and thats why I am asking what he recommended. Also what kind of weight did you tell him you would be running?
Old 04-10-2008, 02:10 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 358chevycamaro
What kind of head, cam, intake setup did he set you up with? He custom ground my cam for me recently, and thats why I am asking what he recommended. Also what kind of weight did you tell him you would be running?
If this was directed to me. My mods are in my sig. The cam is based off of his F14 high lift 232/236-642/612@ 114LSA he just changed the exhuast duration a little because of the heads I went with. Also, my car weighed
3420lbs with a full tank of gas. He said with what I had (stock tranny and rearend) at the time the car should run 11.30-11.40 @ around 120mph. With a Fast90/90 and a rearend I should be 11.0s or somewhere in the high 10s. I won't know for sure how accurate he is until I get my new rearend in. Which should be about another 2 weeks.. From what I hear from other folks I know that had Allan build there cars he's usually pretty damn close. I must say I was pretty impressed by Allan. When I first talked to him on the phone I was talking Hp #s. After a few conversations he flat out asked me if I wanted to make a peak hp # my goal or did I have a certain track number I wanted to hit. I told him a track #. What did you run at the track?
Old 04-10-2008, 02:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I took it to the track this past Sunday and no one could hook that great. My car has always had strong 60's but the best I could cut with a brand new set of ET Drags was 1.74. It ran a best of 11.68 @ 116.xx, so going by the general rule of thumb (which has proven almost completely accurate for me) every tenth off of you 60' is .15 on the big end is 11.38. The track was green and the prep was below par, but hopefully I will be at a different track which is eighth mile for some more comparison numbers.

Allan was great to work with, but when he asked what I wanted I too said max ET over a dyno queen, but I built a nitrous specific motor. The cam that I have is on a 114 LSA and advanced the centerline 4 more degree's. It's a forged 347 with a FAST 90 and PTM throttle body and a set of milled Stage 2 Livernois heads putting me at 11.1:1 compression. So needless to say I am excited to see what I can whittle my times down to because this motor feels really strong!

I didn't get to spray due to a solenoid junking out on me, but soon it will see the juice. Now I am trying to find a better set of flowing heads and possibly do a dyno comparison with a Voctor Jr carb intake and 90mm elbow.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:40 AM
10 Second Club

I took it to the track this past Sunday and no one could hook that great. My car has always had strong 60's but the best I could cut with a brand new set of ET Drags was 1.74. It ran a best of 11.68 @ 116.xx, so going by the general rule of thumb (which has proven almost completely accurate for me) every tenth off of you 60' is .15 on the big end is 11.38. The track was green and the prep was below par, but hopefully I will be at a different track which is eighth mile for some more comparison numbers.

Allan was great to work with, but when he asked what I wanted I too said max ET over a dyno queen, but I built a nitrous specific motor. The cam that I have is on a 114 LSA and advanced the centerline 4 more degree's. It's a forged 347 with a FAST 90 and PTM throttle body and a set of milled Stage 2 Livernois heads putting me at 11.1:1 compression. So needless to say I am excited to see what I can whittle my times down to because this motor feels really strong!

I didn't get to spray due to a solenoid junking out on me, but soon it will see the juice. Now I am trying to find a better set of flowing heads and possibly do a dyno comparison with a Voctor Jr carb intake and 90mm elbow.
I've heard some really good things about the Victor Jr. intake. I hear there is another 40rwhp over fuel injection. I thought about going this route myself. You should be well into the 10s with the spray depending on the size shot you go with. Are you running drag radials? If so try the DOT approved ET streets (nonradial tire). You should hook alot better at the track with those. My buddy had a best of 1.39 60ft on stock suspension, those tires and a strange 12 bolt with 4.10 gears.. Did you have it dynoed without the spray? If so what was your #'s. My car made 423rwhp through a slipping tranny. I am going to be taking the car back to Allan for a ECM correction after I get the new rearend in place and we will do a few more dyno pulls to see how much power I was losing through that slipping tranny. Cannot wait to see what it'll do!!
Old 04-10-2008, 03:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

416 @ 6700 with full 2 1/4 exhaust and ET Street Slicks. I haven't had it finaly tuned and had all of the bugs worked out but it should be well into the 430's easily. I used to run ET street slicks (not the radials) but I recently purchased a set of ET Drags and they are awesome, the track was just terrible. Everyone that went was atleast two tenths slower than usual on the 60' times, and the same went for me. I could litterally hook better on the road in front of the track and not get the car walking like it would right off the line on the track (and yes this was at the same tire pressure.)

As far as spray it will see two stages varying between 250-300 and possibly more. It should hopefully propel me into the 9's, and from the way the car is running and as light as it is it shouldn't have any propblems.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:35 AM
10 Second Club

416 @ 6700 with full 2 1/4 exhaust and ET Street Slicks. I haven't had it finaly tuned and had all of the bugs worked out but it should be well into the 430's easily. I used to run ET street slicks (not the radials) but I recently purchased a set of ET Drags and they are awesome, the track was just terrible. Everyone that went was atleast two tenths slower than usual on the 60' times, and the same went for me. I could litterally hook better on the road in front of the track and not get the car walking on the track (and yes this was at the same tire pressure.)

As far as spray it will see two stages varying between 250-300 and possibly more. It should hopefully propel me into the 9's, and from the way the car is running and as light as it is it shouldn't have any propblems.
Sounds good man. Post up the #'s when you finaly get them and I'll do the same.. Good luck..
Old 04-10-2008, 06:03 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fuseone
oh yes forgot to metion that its a m6 also what size gears would i need if i would use a ms3. but please id like to hear some more opinions as many as i can get.
I finally went with 4.11s but now I have a A3 and the car is strong as hell