General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power window motor issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Power window motor issues

When I roll my driver's side window down, it looks like the window skips, almost like there's something caught on the track or the gear. When I roll my window up, it gets stuck about 1/2 way to 3/4 of the way up. So I take off the door panel and check behind everything and make sure no wires are in the way and then try again, and the same thing happens. This is odd because I just replaced BOTH power window motors in 2006, and they run strong. Does anyone know what could cause the window to stick like that?

Last edited by camaro_five0; 04-10-2008 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention "driver's side"
Old 04-10-2008, 03:40 PM
B T
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted this in another thread. Have a look and see if it helps.

I had problems with the regulator rollers in the tracks binding, that was causing mine to skip, hang and burn up motors...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/896968-new-window-motor-spot-q.html

Good luck!

BT
Old 04-10-2008, 05:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Right on, thanks for the info!
Old 04-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You might also check to see if the window is hitting the 2 felt pads at the top of the door. When one of my motors was going bad, it didn't have the juice to get past the point where the glass meets these pads.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well the motors are running strong...it's wierd because I was playing with the switch itself the other day and when I pushed the switch halfway up (applied half-pressure) the window went all the way up with no hiccups. When it goes down it still skips a little bit. I think the problem is like what BT said in his previous post...probably something obstructing the track or a stuck wheel.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

You have one of about six different things that it could be. 1-stripped gear in the motor(not as common in gm as in fords), 2-stripped teeth on regulator, 3-motor/regulator loose, 4-bent regulator, 5-dry tracks causing the wheels to stick(already been said), and if you didnt buy your car new or had a motor replaced check and make sure it still has the coiled spring on the regulator if not then this will cause the same issues and will also cause motors to go out prematurely.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:48 PM
B T
Launching!

and make sure it still has the coiled spring on the regulator if not then this will cause the same issues and will also cause motors to go out prematurely.
>>

If that coil was somehow broken or not working the window would never go back "up"...

Have you seen the kind of tension that is on that coil???

The weight of the glass alone ( after in the down position ) would be too much for just the motor to even move at all...

BT
Old 04-13-2008, 05:17 PM
Staging Lane

How long did you install auto glass? I have indeed seen the tension on that spring oh so many times! Yes the window will go back up but for how long? I have seen them last anywhere from 1-4 years that way. So have you ever seen the power a window motor puts out? How do you think it is able to pull the window down so fast? The spring is only there to assist the motor on the way up to extend the life of the motor and also to keep the motor from slamming the glass in the bottom of the door on the way down. The window motors on our cars are alot stronger than you are giving them credit for. You act like the spring is doing all the work for the motor.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:42 AM
B T
Launching!

Originally Posted by Camarojunkie
How long did you install auto glass? I have indeed seen the tension on that spring oh so many times! Yes the window will go back up but for how long? I have seen them last anywhere from 1-4 years that way. So have you ever seen the power a window motor puts out? How do you think it is able to pull the window down so fast? The spring is only there to assist the motor on the way up to extend the life of the motor and also to keep the motor from slamming the glass in the bottom of the door on the way down. The window motors on our cars are alot stronger than you are giving them credit for. You act like the spring is doing all the work for the motor.
>>>
How do you think it is able to pull the window down so fast?
>>
Um, weight of the glass.

When I disassembled mine and didn't get the spring back in correctly with enough tension it would only go down and not up. That was with a new motor also...

I don't know what to tell you.

That was from my own personal experience...

They must be pretty weak if they have a hard time getting the window back up with the spring installed correctly with minimum binding in the tracks from the rollers sliding and not turning.

So I'd say it's pretty weak yes...

Installing auto glass has nothing to do with the operating mechanics of regulators and motors...

Cheers!

Last edited by B T; 04-14-2008 at 11:27 AM.