General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

noise when turning steering wheel!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 05:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default noise when turning steering wheel!!

Sometimes when I am driving and I am going fairly slow and I turn the steering wheel to make a 90 degree left or right turn I hear a noise and can feel something in the steering that doesn't feel smooth. It doesn't do it all the time though and I can't think of anything that is the same when it does it except that it usually seems to be when I am going slow like 5 -10 mph that it does it. If I am going faster like 30 + mph and I take a curve or something it doesn't do it. Anybody have any idea's what this could be?
Old 04-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How far are you turning the wheel? If you're turning it all the way to the lock (point where you can't turn it any farther) some whining/groaning is normal. If you read the owner's manual it will tell you to avoid turning the wheel this far as it causes excessive wear on the power steering rack.

Otherwise, power steering noise tends to be either rack or pump related. In either case it's expensive and a PITA. In the meantime, you can try flushing your power steering with a turkey baster, try a search.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:40 PM
12 Second Club

low on power steering fluid?
Old 04-11-2008, 06:39 AM
10 Second Club

I am going to try the turkey baster thing today and get that old fluid out and put some nice fresh fluid in and see if that helps. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Banned

is it a whine like when you turn the wheel all the way? does it do it at a complete stop?

a clicking sound while in motion would probably be your hub (bearings). this clicking would change pace with your speed and possibly only sound while turning in a specific direction.

a popping noise while turning your wheel moving or not is likely your rack and pinion.

the whine is kinda normal just your power steering working a little harder than it should have to.

first change the fluid regardlees it's easy and inexpensive.

the hub or rack each would set you back around 135 but the hub is extremely easy and the rack is difficult and will require an alignment

give more detail
Old 04-15-2008, 06:30 PM
10 Second Club

its not just when I turn it lock to lock. Sometimes just when I am pulling into my apt complex it does it. I can't figure out anything that is common when it does it other than the fact that it only seems to be doing it when I am going slow. When I am driving faster it doesnt do it. Its like a moaning sound and it only does it in certain areas when I turn the wheel. Its really hard to explain. I sucked out all the old fluid and put in fresh and it is still doing it. When I hear it I can also feel bumpiness in the steering wheel until the noise is gone then the wheel gets smooth again. I will try to get some audio of the sound if I can.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x2 i have the same exact problem! it happens because there is air trapped inside the rack! this started happening after i had to remove one of the power steering hoses on the rack to get it custom made and after a **** load of fluid leaking out of the rack, it still has air trapped in it till this day! it will slowly get better overtime! its not that big of a deal, but try flushing the system too that may help
Old 04-15-2008, 07:16 PM
10 Second Club

Mine has just started doing this over the past month or two though. It could be air but I have not had any of the lines unhooked. what is best way to get air out?
Old 04-16-2008, 07:16 PM
10 Second Club

So now today this problem seems to be getting worse. It was just doing it once and a while but now it seems to be 1 out of every 5 times I turn the steering wheel. Any body have any methods I can try to narrow down if its the pump or the rack? I dont mind replacing stuff but want to have an educated guess what the problem is first. thanks.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:58 PM
10 Second Club

The best way to attempt to bleed a rack is jack the front of the car up in teh air just enough to get the wheels off the ground. Then turn the car to on, but do not start the car. Then take the power steering cap off. Folloed by turning the wheel lock to lock several times. If you have some one else to watch the tank he or she can see the air being pushed from the rack. You might also want to check and see if the covers right before the tie rod ends attach to, on both sides of the rack itself have fluid in them if so that is not good. Good Luck
Old 04-16-2008, 09:49 PM
10 Second Club

So you still think its air in the system? I do seem to have a small weeping leak on what i think is the pressure side of the power steering pump hose. The bottom of the hose always has an oily residue on it but I never have any drips on the ground but I don't seem to lose any fluid out of the pump so I never really worried about it. Do you think if I do have a small weaping leak that this could be introducing air into the rack? thanks in advance.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:30 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RsSean
The best way to attempt to bleed a rack is jack the front of the car up in teh air just enough to get the wheels off the ground. Then turn the car to on, but do not start the car. Then take the power steering cap off. Folloed by turning the wheel lock to lock several times. If you have some one else to watch the tank he or she can see the air being pushed from the rack. You might also want to check and see if the covers right before the tie rod ends attach to, on both sides of the rack itself have fluid in them if so that is not good. Good Luck
I did this yesterday and then went out and drove around for a couple hours and it did work. I did not have the noise at all. My question is how did I get air into my rack? I do have what seems like a small seep from the pressure hose somewhere because the bottom of hose has an oily residue on it but the fluid level in the resevoir doesn't go down at all. Do you think I have a small leak and if so could this be how the air got in?
Old 04-18-2008, 07:11 AM
10 Second Club

Well I am glad that worked for you. Any leak in a pressureized line will allow air to get in the system. The pressure line I can almost grauntee is leaking around a coulpler. The way air is getting in the system is that after you have shut off the car the pressure in the line returns to regular pressure and has a slight vaccaum. Napa will most likely have what you need. That is were I got mine from

Quick Reply: noise when turning steering wheel!!