Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What blew up, my trans or my converter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 10:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What blew up, my trans or my converter?

So, I took out my slipping as hell TCI converter out and replaced it with a ATI for my 4L60E. I drove it around for a week and it felt good. Went to the track today and every pass under WOT it would not hit 3rd gear and was tagging the limiter. Well my runs were much worse with the ATI on the times I did get from the 60ft on. I decided to head home and as soon as I get on the interstate my converter pops out of OD. I'm like O.K? Well I figure I'll limp it to the gas station and next thing I know it's like some one put the clutch in on a manual. No gears, no movement. So I pull over and I check the fluid, which is clean and not burnt. So I turn it off and let it sit for 3 min., start it up and pull away. All gears are there for about 2 blocks and the same process repeats. When I let it sit for a few min all is good for a short distance and then the OD goes followed by the rest of the gears. I trailered it home and it seems fine pulling it in the garage but I know damn well it''s not. So, which one blew up?
Old 04-20-2008, 10:30 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would get the pan off it and see whats in there. Almost sounds like the filter is plugging up with the no movement condition. Either way it needs to come out. Vince
Old 04-20-2008, 10:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I would guess that the converter clutch may have failed and debris is stopping up the filter, There could be other causes but if all gears feel normal for the first little bit then its start slipping or stopped that would be my best guess. Unfortunately if this is true your trans will also be full of debris

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-24-2008, 07:30 PM
9 Second Club

Here are some pics of the filter. Is this bad enough to cause my problems?

Old 04-24-2008, 07:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yes I would have to say that is bad enought to cause the issue, However the question now is where did the material come from, But if it shifted and worked normally for a few minutes after you turned it off and back on I would lean toward converter, But in anycase the trans will need to be gone through too now or replaced

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-25-2008, 08:33 AM
9 Second Club

Even though the rest of the fluid was clean? Would just changing the filter and fluid and seeing if that fixed it be a bad idea? I hate pulling these transmissions.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:10 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

It likley would temporarily solve the issue, However it would be curing the symptom not the cause and eventually there wil be a complete failure of some sort, if you have settled to your self that your going to have to get another trans and converter then it may give you a little time till one comes its hard to say for sure how long though.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-25-2008, 09:14 AM
9 Second Club

This trans is built to the hilt with every upgrade there is. The converter was a week old!!
Old 04-25-2008, 09:58 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Then I would not drive it and I would take it down and get it cleaned out before any more damage is done same with converter.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-25-2008, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd say take it to Vyhanek but he doesn't like overdrive trans'.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

You cant just check the tranny like that, what I would do is take it down to a tranny shop you trust and have them take a look at it, then you will get a real answer of whats wrong with it.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet but not sweet. I have the exact same issue. I was literally just driving my SS when the same thing happened. 4th gear started to slip and finally checked out, then 3rd then 2nd and 1st. I have a trans pressure gauge in the car. and it slowly started losing pressure. After about 5 mins. all was gone. I coasted in to a parking lot shut off the car and checked the fluid. It did not look bad, didn't smell burnt and was still red in color with no flakes. I started it again to check the fluid level and noticed there was pressure again. I made it across the parking lot then it lost pressure again. Let it sit for about 1 min and it would regain pressure but only for a minute or so. Needless to say AAA to the rescue!
I just need to get some time to pull the pan and see whats up inside there. From talking to a few people I expect to see similar to what the pictures above have. Oh well this trans was in the car for about 4 years with a 4000 stall and I was not nice to it. I Drag raced the car, Autoscross race it and numerours Street Jackassery sessions. Not to mention the car weights in at 4243lbs!
Old 05-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Launching!

sound like the forward clutches in the bottom of the 3-4 are smokes, there wont be much metal in the pan but i have built tranies for about 3years and i have seen it in my own ls1 cars that make decent power.