Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Stupid redlight camera ticket?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid redlight camera ticket?!

Alright guys,

Well yesterday evening I borrowed my brothers stuck since my SS was in the shop. I was approaching an intersection with the camera. And some guy behind me was tailgating, and I couldnt stop in time. When I passed the first line of the crosswalk the light turned yellow. I wasnt about to slam on the brakes, and get rear ended. I pretty much had no other choice. So I was about 3/4th across when it flashed. Im sure it snagged a picture of me. Ive heard that some ppl dont recieve the ticket in the mail. But Im sure it will be mailed to my brother. Is there anyway I can fight this ticket, and win? Because in all honesty, it was either get rear ended or get my picture taken. Im tripping out because 1. It wasnt my vehicle 2. I dont have the money to pay for it, and 3. Its my first ticket.

I heard if you pay it with a check with over the amount that is asked. The court will send you a check back with the extra amount you sent as a return. And if you dont cash it, it doesnt show on your record, or anything? Any help? Im like hella nervous about it.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Regular

I know I got photo'd one time but didn't recieved a ticket. You might have a chance to explain by mail & possibley get it dissmissed. Did the guy tailgating you go through also that would prove your story as he would be in the photo also.

If you do get popped there's always online traffic school, my g.friend just did it and it was a breeze. still have to pay the fine and cost of the school but they don't notify your insurance.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Teching In

if its like the ones in murrieta, they go off when the wind blows. ive gotten my mug shot taken many times and havent recieved a ticket for it. got flashed turning left on a green arrow. maybe you'll get lucky and not get a ticket. lol just start recycling all them beer cans you drink from and that'll pay for your ticket.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

No the tailgater slammed on his brakes, if I did the same he would of rear ended me. Thats why I went through it. Yeah I was thinking about pleading not guilty by mail, and explaining like that. Like honestly I wont mind paying it, and going to driving school or whatever. But I just dont want it to raise my insurance. Hopefully it doesnt come in the mail. lol.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

But I just dont want it to raise my insurance.

^^^ it won't if you take traffic school.

Thats why I hate those F'n things they can't tell what realy happened.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Regular

just have your brother go to court and say it wasnt him. And he doesnt know who was driving his truck. My friend runs light all the time in a car registered to his dad.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

1st off you cant really get out of the ticket. If your bro says it wasnt him..... it doesnt matter, because he is the owner of the truck. He assumes responsiblity for anyone driving it, unless it was reported stolen.

2nd: As far as the whole overpaying thing, its garbage and does not work. Ive heard that myself and a local guy tried it and it showed up on his record anyways.

3rd: you cant do traffic school for running a red light, I believe its a 2 point violation with a minimum fine of around 350$ (varies by county)
Old 04-25-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ultraz
1st off you cant really get out of the ticket. If your bro says it wasnt him..... it doesnt matter, because he is the owner of the truck. He assumes responsiblity for anyone driving it, unless it was reported stolen.

2nd: As far as the whole overpaying thing, its garbage and does not work. Ive heard that myself and a local guy tried it and it showed up on his record anyways.

3rd: you cant do traffic school for running a red light, I believe its a 2 point violation with a minimum fine of around 350$ (varies by county)
Moving voilations go to drivers. not owners of the car. Parking violations gets tied to the owner of the car.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by allblacksrt4
Moving voilations go to drivers. not owners of the car. Parking violations gets tied to the owner of the car.
werd. this man speaks the truth
Old 04-25-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

1. First of all, the camera is automated, but the video is reviewed by an officer before a ticket is issued (you may not get one *cross fingers*). If you choose to fight it, you will be given a link to go to where you can watch the video of yourself committing the violation.
2. The ticket will go to the registered vehicle owners address. But it will come with a picture of your license plate, so there's no denying its the owners car. On the bottom/back of the letter will be a release of responsibility, where he/she will be able to state that it was not them, and who the driver was. You can't just say "it wasn't me".
3. You can go to traffic school for a red light ticket to prevent one of the 2 points from your record.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

Default The Truth About Redlight Cameras

my father in law is a Lt. with Riverside County Sherrifs and we have had this discussion many times - here is what happens in this intance.

(1) ALL infractions get reviewed by a real live person that evaluates a few factors

ALL infractions usually have 2 pictures taken depending on the vehicle
SPEED - it records the speed of the vehicle once the light has gone red based on radar and attatches it to the pictures it takes

it WILL NOT take pictures if the speed is below 15MPH

(2) you may be lucky in the fact that you were not in your own car /
due to as the reviewing officer is looking at the infraction, he pulls up the registered owner of the vehicle recorded and compares the driver of the vehicle in the infraction to the picture of the registered owner on file via drivers license photo.

regardless if the picture is the same or not, BUT there has been a legitimate offense - they will send the REGISTERED OWNER a ticket.

the registered owner BY LAW DOES NOT HAVE TO INDICATE WHO WAS DRIVING HIS VEHICLE. he can contest it and it will be dismissed

( unless you guys are twins )

good luck - should be cut and dry - and now you know !
Old 04-25-2008, 03:47 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would tell them about the tailgaiter defense. I was reading an article recently that said there were more accidents at those intersections because of rear-end collisions..
Old 04-25-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1W
my father in law is a Lt. with Riverside County Sherrifs and we have had this discussion many times - here is what happens in this intance.

(1) ALL infractions get reviewed by a real live person that evaluates a few factors

ALL infractions usually have 2 pictures taken depending on the vehicle
SPEED - it records the speed of the vehicle once the light has gone red based on radar and attatches it to the pictures it takes

it WILL NOT take pictures if the speed is below 15MPH

(2) you may be lucky in the fact that you were not in your own car /
due to as the reviewing officer is looking at the infraction, he pulls up the registered owner of the vehicle recorded and compares the driver of the vehicle in the infraction to the picture of the registered owner on file via drivers license photo.

regardless if the picture is the same or not, BUT there has been a legitimate offense - they will send the REGISTERED OWNER a ticket.

the registered owner BY LAW DOES NOT HAVE TO INDICATE WHO WAS DRIVING HIS VEHICLE. he can contest it and it will be dismissed

( unless you guys are twins )

good luck - should be cut and dry - and now you know !
exactly.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you opted for the ticket over maybe being rear-ended, as indicated by the actions you took (or didn't take).

I'd still try to fight it, but you can't have your cake and eat it to, so don't be bitter if you get the ticket and if you loose.

I guess were all just different. I never worry about someone maybe hitting me because they're driving too close. That's their problem, not mine.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

most of the cameras also show video. If you go to court and plead not guilty the Judge will allow you to view the video right there.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:43 PM
Launching!

You only get a ticket if the light is red before you enter the intersection. If you entered while it was yellow, then you're fine.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ssbowtie1
You only get a ticket if the light is red before you enter the intersection. If you entered while it was yellow, then you're fine.
I agree....

They probably won't issue the ticket as long as it clearly shows you entering the intersection while it is yellow.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1stunna
Alright guys,

When I passed the first line of the crosswalk the light turned yellow. I wasnt about to slam on the brakes, and get rear ended. I pretty much had no other choice. So I was about 3/4th across when it flashed.
If you are passed the limit line before it turned red, you did not run the light.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you put your visor down when you go thru the light it wont be able to take a pic of your face, if there is no visible face they dont issue a ticket.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

It was 3/4 clear of the light when it flashed, I looked up and it wasnt red yet. Hopefully they dont issue a ticket. *crosses fingers*

Quick Reply: Stupid redlight camera ticket?!