Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni's

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 11:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni's

After doing some research, i realized that i really need to shell up the extra cash and go with koni's, instead of getting the KYB AGX's. My question is that after i purchase the koni's, i will not have enough money to get springs right away. Is it fine to lower the car with koni's on stock springs? I will be getting the Koni 4/3.

BTW, i will be going with strano springs as soon as Sam gets more in, and i can save up a little more cash.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

Yep, im actually in the same boat sorta after talking to sam. Going with the koni's as well but still havn't decided 4/3 or 4/4.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Changing the front shocks isn't exactly a "day at the beach", since you have to compress the springs and remove them, and the retainers from the OE shocks anyway. I'd wait until you had both the shocks and springs and then do the job one time instead of two.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:12 PM
TECH Junkie

If the time difference between when you want to change shocks and when you will add the springs is short, then I'd also recommend just waiting a little bit so you can kill two birds with one stone.

If you want to do one at a time, you know about the koni lower spring perch modification right?
Old 05-02-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by z28bryan
If you want to do one at a time, you know about the koni lower spring perch modification right?
No. what exactly is that?
Old 05-02-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Changing the front shocks isn't exactly a "day at the beach", since you have to compress the springs and remove them, and the retainers from the OE shocks anyway. I'd wait until you had both the shocks and springs and then do the job one time instead of two.
Oh its really not that bad. I did mine and it took 30-45 minutes per side. Granted it would be easier to do it all at once but it wont kill you to do it twice if you want your new shocks on that day.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheLSgun
No. what exactly is that?
You can lower the front of the car without lowering springs. But only by a little bit.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Question

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
You can lower the front of the car without lowering springs. But only by a little bit.
Probably 1/2 inch at most, I would think..??
Old 05-02-2008, 04:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's worth it. I drove on Koni's with the lower perch and removed the donuts on the rear springs, drove fantastic like that for 4 months. Then Sam's springs showed up and I put them on, drives even better!
Old 05-03-2008, 04:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I installed koni 4/3's and did the heater hose mod on the rear.Set the fronts on the lower perch.I kept the stock springs.Also did the strano sway bars instead of the lowering springs.this setup works great for me.My friend used koni's with strano lowering springs. My friends car was too low to get in my driveway,that's why I kept the stock springs.
The koni's are the best shocks hands down.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Koni lower perch lowers the car bout 3/4 in front and the rear isolators in the back offer a similar drop if removed. Stock springs and Konis are a fantastic combo; predictable handling and great ride. The install isn't that bad. I did the Konis first, then the strano springs about 6 months later or so.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:06 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hpjunky98
Koni lower perch lowers the car bout 3/4 in front and the rear isolators in the back offer a similar drop if removed. Stock springs and Konis are a fantastic combo; predictable handling and great ride. The install isn't that bad. I did the Konis first, then the strano springs about 6 months later or so.
Ya, thats my plan to get the konis first and then wait a few months and get the stranos.

I think my stock springs will be fine since they are not really worn out because my car only has 63xxx miles.