General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Busted my power antenna

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Busted my power antenna

Well like a dumb *** I busted my power antenna off of my car. Probably only need to replace the mast I'm hoping but instead of buying a new mast I thought i'd see if anyone had a working power antenna they wanted to part with for a fair price. I'm not into the stubby fixed antennas so I need to swap this one out or replace the mast. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Regular

goodluck there... I bought a good kit thats a direct replacement at bestbuy .. Works better than the stock one did..
Old 05-10-2008, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

uh a direct replacement for a power antenna that will fit our cars? at bestbuy? really? I'd of never even thought that would be possible... I'll have to take a look...
Old 05-11-2008, 10:21 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You can get a replacement GM mast for less than $50. Part number 10256439. It comes with instructions and will save you a ton of grief.

I'd suggest buying new unless you are looking to offload your car soon. For those of us in the northern hinterlands, these masts shed their paint in salty winter conditions and tend to gum up. (I've replaced twice and they have each lasted around 4 years before needing replacement.) You may not have the issue in Southern California, but you might inherit it by getting a used part.

If you still want a used mast, I have one I'll sell you cheap... but its gummed up and won't extend the whole way.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

I'm going to do just that. Just ordered a new one for $32. Mind if I ask how long it took you to install? Thanks for the help and for the part number.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Save the manuals!

Wow - I'd like to know where you got it! (I paid $45 for mine.)

The install took me 3.5 minutes. (Maybe closer to 10 minutes the first time I replaced it.) Its real easy. The antenna comes with instructions and a special spanner wrench for removing the mast. However, the wrench doesn't fit the nut on my 99 WS6. But all that I really needed was an adjustable wrench.

There is a nut on top of the unit that holds the mast in. You just unscrew that. If yours is like mine, its a rounded piece with two slight flat sides, which you can grip with an adjustable wrench. You take that nut off, yank the whole thing out while putting the antenna up, and then reverse the process to put the new one in.

Some hints:
- You really need someone to help you. Taking the mast out and putting it in requires extending/retracting the mechanism - so you can have someone turn on/off the radio while you work on the mast.
- Once you have the mast nut off, its also locked in by a silver sleeve with two gripper teeth on it. (You'll see this sleeve when your new one arrives.) You may need to really yank hard on the antenna while its trying to extend to get the sleeve to let loose.
- The mast is operated by a white plastic "ribbon" that has teeth on one side. When you take out the old unit, note which way the teeth point as you'll need the new one installed the same way in order for the motor to grab it.
- Have a flashlight with you if you are working indoors or in the dark. You'll have to thread the new ribbon through a hole a couple of inches down from the top of the fender, which is hard to see if you are in low light.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wssix99
You can get a replacement GM mast for less than $50. Part number 10256439. It comes with instructions and will save you a ton of grief.

I'd suggest buying new unless you are looking to offload your car soon. For those of us in the northern hinterlands, these masts shed their paint in salty winter conditions and tend to gum up. (I've replaced twice and they have each lasted around 4 years before needing replacement.) You may not have the issue in Southern California, but you might inherit it by getting a used part.

If you still want a used mast, I have one I'll sell you cheap... but its gummed up and won't extend the whole way.
Is this part numbe for a fixed mast antenna or a power antenna?
Old 01-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by 96blackta
Is this part numbe for a fixed mast antenna or a power antenna?
Its for a telescopic power antenna mast. (Mast only.)
Old 01-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Launching!

The power antenna on my bird just stuck in the raised position a couple of days ago. I can still hear the motor run when I turn the radio on or off but the antenna does not move. I put some light pressure on the top of the extended antenna but it did not want to move. Would this replacement mast likely cure my problem? If so, Jeresous would you PM with where you got yours for $32? Thanks for the help! Tom
Old 01-21-2009, 09:53 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by GR8RYD
The power antenna on my bird just stuck in the raised position a couple of days ago. I can still hear the motor run when I turn the radio on or off but the antenna does not move. I put some light pressure on the top of the extended antenna but it did not want to move. Would this replacement mast likely cure my problem? If so, Jeresous would you PM with where you got yours for $32? Thanks for the help! Tom
Yes, but try the innexpensive fix first! The jam is usually caused by gunked up paint peeling off of the mast and getting in the telescopic joints. Wet a rag with 100% minteral spirits (dilute versions and paint thinner will not work effectively) and then rub the mast down. Retract and extend it a couple of times and clean it off each time with the mineral spirits. (This disolves the gunk and may bet you back to normal on its own.)

Quick Reply: Busted my power antenna