Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G5x3 versus VRX3

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default G5x3 versus VRX3

Which cam has the smoothest idle. I know the g5x3 makes more power, and I'm not worried about the sound because I can choke it down through my magnaflow muffler. I can take a mild shake, but I don't want my daily driver shaking and sputtering at the light. Overall, after extensive searches, I think these are the two best choices for daily drivers.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RealLiveMD
I think these are the two best choices for daily drivers.
hahahahaha
Old 05-13-2008, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm running the VRX3. I was running the TRex, but I pulled it and tossed the VRX3 in. The VRX can EASILY be a D/D cam. My camaro is definitely not my D/D, but I do drive it to work 4-5 times a month (50 miles one way). Thru my true duals, the idle is like butter. My idle is still at 950 (for the TRex) so I can barely even tell it's cam'd. Once I lower my idle back to 800 or so...I'm sure the lope will be more noticeable.

I've driven my friend's GX5 car and it drives very nicely and can be docile enough w/ the right setup. But he has 4.56 gears which really helps overcome the low speed bucking/surging. Like they always say..."Driveability is in the eye of the driver" (or something like that )...but the VRX is probably a little better mannered than the GX5 on the street.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think these are the two best choices for daily drivers.
Guess you just picked those two because they had a 3 in them right?
Old 05-13-2008, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blu1
Guess you just picked those two because they had a 3 in them right?
Nah, I've been reading old threads for days and I found the several people with the G5X making good power but not complaining about tuning and surging. They also seem to make more power than the TR224 which seems to get the most votes for daily driver. I just haven't been able to find anyone at the track with the cams to see how harsh they are at idle.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd go with the VRX3. Ebbs I want to check your car out. I'm thinking about going with the VRX3 too.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Jedi Master

I have the VRX3, very tame cam, almost too tame.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gh0st
I have the VRX3, very tame cam, almost too tame.
Your numbers are making me heavily consider the G5x3. I have 400/386 already with my cheatr cam/243's and ls6 intake. I't looks like the only difference between our cars is an intake. I really want to feel the difference if I'm going through the trouble of switching cams.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

VRX3 is probably a bit easier to make very drivable due to lower lift numbers and less duration, but I'd expect a bit less power as well. I can only say that when it comes to cam selection drivability is ultimately decided by your tuner. If they do a crappy job tuning your car for the VRX3 then it will stall, studder, and drive like ****, but if they do a thorough job ( wot and street tuning) then the g5x3 version I or II can drive amazingly close to stock. Its all in the tune.

I think a better comparison would be Ron's VRX5 or 6 cam vs Lou's g5x3 version I or II. VRX3 is a milder cam.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:44 PM
11 Second Club

I DD the G5X3 through a stalled built FMVB A4, it's not that bad...

Through the Flowmaster it's pretty nice, shakes the car a little but not much, the cam does surge a good amount, and I have a really good tuner but hey, that's what you get when you buy a big cam...
Old 05-14-2008, 04:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

The g5x3 is a much different animal in an a4. I believe you have a great tuner, and its just difficult to get an a4 car to function as well as an m6 car when it comes to running the g5x3 cam
Old 05-14-2008, 04:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 00Formula00
I DD the G5X3 through a stalled built FMVB A4, it's not that bad...

Through the Flowmaster it's pretty nice, shakes the car a little but not much, the cam does surge a good amount, and I have a really good tuner but hey, that's what you get when you buy a big cam...
Comparing your car to allngn C5, can a ported fast,ls6 bottom and auto cheat you out of approx 60 hp/35 torque. Or is this a tuning issue. I calculate ported fast=12 over ls6, ls6 bottom another 15, and auto maybe 10rwhp. So shouldn't you be closer to 460/425 to the wheels?
Old 05-14-2008, 04:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

I believe a ported 90 or the new FAST 92 port matched to his heads would get his numbers closer to what you are saying. Stalled autos just don't dyno high, but they do well at the track. Now with that being said, I can't drive my car to its potential (2.11 60's) so many people doubt my numbers. She did trap 123.6 mph into a head wind. I think she can trap 124 under better conditions. If I could get my 60 down to the 1.7's she's 11.5 all day, maybe better.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nah, I've been reading old threads for days and I found the several people with the G5X making good power but not complaining about tuning and surging. They also seem to make more power than the TR224 which seems to get the most votes for daily driver. I just haven't been able to find anyone at the track with the cams to see how harsh they are at idle.
Well yea a larger cam thats been R&D'd will make more than a smaller cam peak. The fact that you posted two cams in completely different ballparks saying they were the best DD cams just didn't make any sense. I used to DD an MS3 and it ran great because the tune was spot on. Now I DD a 232/238 custom cam and its about the same even though its quite a bit smaller. Its not the brand name or cam size that makes it a daily drivable cam, its all in the tuning unless you just go retarded big. Some people can deal with a shaky idle and others can't. I know people with TRex cams that DD it without issue. I'd do a little more research, surging is from a poor tune unless you are one to cruise at like 1200 rpms with a large cam. If you don't want a rocky idle then a G5X3 is definitely not what you are looking for.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
I believe a ported 90 or the new FAST 92 port matched to his heads would get his numbers closer to what you are saying. Stalled autos just don't dyno high, but they do well at the track. Now with that being said, I can't drive my car to its potential (2.11 60's) so many people doubt my numbers. She did trap 123.6 mph into a head wind. I think she can trap 124 under better conditions. If I could get my 60 down to the 1.7's she's 11.5 all day, maybe better.
I wasn't doubting your numbers, They look similar to what's on LG's website. I was just wondering why there was such a large discrepancy. Given, I'm already making 400rwhp I didn't want to go through the trouble of changing cams for an extra 10-15 horses. That's what's making the descision so hard for me. I see great numbers with the G5... thus seemingly making it worth the swap. The VR has good power but I'm still researching whether it would be worth the effort.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blu1
Well yea a larger cam thats been R&D'd will make more than a smaller cam peak. The fact that you posted two cams in completely different ballparks saying they were the best DD cams just didn't make any sense. I used to DD an MS3 and it ran great because the tune was spot on. Now I DD a 232/238 custom cam and its about the same even though its quite a bit smaller. Its not the brand name or cam size that makes it a daily drivable cam, its all in the tuning unless you just go retarded big. Some people can deal with a shaky idle and others can't. I know people with TRex cams that DD it without issue. I'd do a little more research, surging is from a poor tune unless you are one to cruise at like 1200 rpms with a large cam. If you don't want a rocky idle then a G5X3 is definitely not what you are looking for.
When I say that I've been searching; trust me, I've been searching, Google, ls1tech,ls1.com, corvette forums. you name it.
In summary, MS3 seems to be able to be made driveable in an M6 but most people say the torque for daily use leaves something to be desired. MS4 even more horses.
TR224.. many say great proven daily driver, good torque, 228R possibly even better but not worth swapping if you have a 224.
G5X3 seems to make damn good hp and torque throughout the powerband. So, should be good with a good tuner. Only problem is high lift, rough idle.
VRX3 strong cam, possibly stronger than the TR224. I wish that I'd done this cam first.
I've also checked F13 all the way back to when futral was having problems with some cams.
I didn't post all of the choices I researched because I was trying to narrow down my choices.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone have sound clips using VRx3 cam. I found some on the G5X3
Old 05-15-2008, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

anyone have sound clips using VRx3 cam. I found some on the G5X3
youtube it. there is one in a SS trailblazer i know for sure

Quick Reply: G5x3 versus VRX3