Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

propane mixed with Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 06:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default propane mixed with Nitrous

I've searched and sent PM's out to those who have tried Propane as a fuel additive/extra shot with the NOS. No replies. So here I am.
So far what I've learned is the ratio is 10:1 for Nitrous to propane. Now to inject this into the motor directly or with the wet shot on the propane (or gas) Should I add a Y fitting (at the nitrous line going into my plate, so both Nitrous and propane are on at same time and injected at same location?) then use the according size jet for the propane?
Maybe use a secondary plate. Or inject the propane after the MAF and spray it in with the incoming air charge?
HELP, I'm tired of chasing faster cars.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should have your propane on it's own separate line, noid and nozzle. Propane is cold, so having it before the MAF could act like a dry n2o hit, though not nearly as cold. Actually, you can introduce the propane anywhere you like, it's just a kicker to a standard wet hit or a standard dry hit. meaning, wet or dry, they need to be set up like normal. Now with that said, you probably could have the nitrous and propane on a plate kit without gasoline, but your in uncharted territory so be careful and start small. A given size propane jet will cover a wide range of hit sizes, and that is the biggest down fall of propane, IE: dialing in an exact a/f ratio and maintaining said a/f. Normally you'll be running rich to have enough propane through out a run. Trial and error are really the only options when going propane as there is no real concrete tech based exact how-tos. There is a pretty long propane thread if you haven't seen it already, mucho insight there.
Robert
Old 05-17-2008, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Inject it directly into your plate system then jet accordingly. Remember if you are spraying more then a 150 shot it might not keep up. Its not rocket science. All your going to do is run your propane line to the fuel sides of your plate system. Another thing make sure that the propane pressure stays around 170-180psi and no more. Do you have a wideband? Start your jetting with both the same size jets then work your way down on the fuel side, hence why you need a wideband or you need to do this on a dyno. For example, if you want to run a 100 shot, use the 100 nitrous jet that your system calls for then use that same jet on the fuel size. You will be very rich, now start changing the fuel side until you find a happy a/f. Remember, if you are spraying more then 150 shot it may not keep up & make sure that the propane pressure stays around 170-180psi and no more. Is your car fuel injected?
Old 05-17-2008, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

will be on a lt1. Fuel injected. I'm running a plate behind the throttle body.
So if I'm getting this right. Forget running all three together at the plate. Run Propane on the gas side, NX on the NX side. Jet both Propane and NX with same size pills/jets?
Change and gap plugs accordingly? I'm running msd coil, wires and 6 A box. Am stepping into retard box as well

By the way I miss the northwest. BC guy here out of Prince Rupert. (Robert56)
Old 05-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Teching In

I can help you out much better if I know more about your car ? Are you already spraying? What is all done to your car?
Old 05-17-2008, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

stock weight, with me in it I weigh 3700. I run 3/4 or more in the tank. Mods are hmm, lets see if i can narrow it down. Cold air, inlet tube is cas and powder coated black, granatelli MAF. lt4 KM, mid length headers, after market y pipe, bolt in cat delete, electric cutout, flow master the rest of the way. rebuilt tranny, 2800 stall, tube control arms, relocation brackets. 160 thermo, reprogrammed computer. I run a 305/40/16 on a stock fire bird rim (too narrow so I lost some width). I am running a ss rear end with 3:42's and a torsen diff inside. Msd, 6A box, coil wires. AC Delco plugs gapped at 52, (best results. I bought this car, and first pass I made was a 8.38. Consistant 8.4's in the summer. I have done many sets of spark plugs in this car, followed with nearly as many plug wires sets. Chasing gremlins. I have tried different gaps in the spark plugs. Best things i ever did was 1# tires. I have tried four different styles and brands. 2# tune tune tune tune. #3 electric cut out #4 learned how to drive this thing. I am religous in the way i run. I let it cool half hour in between runs. I check fluids, tire preasure. I park in staging lanes hood up bag of ice. I push it if i can. When its time to run, close hood, buckle seat belt. go through mind prep of run and things before. Same burnout every time, same stage, same leave. I leave at either idle or 1000. I do oil changes every 1000 miles on motor and every 3000 on everything else.
I avg on reaction times if i'm racing ; anywhere from .02's to .00's Last time out I ran 5 times. fastest was two 7.86's, one 7.9 and the other two were 7.88 and 7.88. I also watch the track the lights. I'll see where its gripping. I actually stage offset out of other tracks to get fresh vht. Its a combo of many little things. I was running 8.10-8.14's one night; good buddy who could drive ran three times, all around 8.31-8.33. SO its a consistant car, it launches straight and never touch the wheel.
Never sprayed
looking to spray around 75-125. depending on safety
Old 05-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Teching In

OK, so you have a basically stock car with bolt ons and gears. So all you need to do is run the propane to the fuel side, change your plugs over to ngk tr6's gapped at 30-35ths, onboard wideband(highly recommended) or dyno, bottle heater for the propane tank and in cabin gauge for it. You need to figure out how much you want to spray. For example, if your kit say to use a size 52 nitrous jet for a 150 shot then use that size jet, if it say to use a 42 size jet for a 75 shot then use that size jet. Now what ever h.p. level you decide on you will need to put that same size jet on the fuel side. Dont panic its going to be pig rich until you start to jet down on the fuel side and this is were the wideband will come into effect. Just think of it as a very safe starting point. Now just jet down until you get a safe but not to rich a/f ratio. Make sure that the propane psi is always around 170-180psi, DO NOT EXCEED 180 PSI. Hope this helps out. By the way, I wouldnt be to scared to hit your car with a 150 shot.

Last edited by VIPERRACING; 05-17-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

you guys are awesome. So you wouldn't worry about trying to boost the fuel (gasoline side)? Just leave it as is? The 'noids will work fine also for the propane? Ok now recommended widebands
Old 05-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Teching In

the noids and everything will work fine with propane. Remember, Propane is a FUEL. A high octane clean fuel.

Quick Reply: propane mixed with Nitrous