Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low power - 100 shot only adds 30whp

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Low power - 100 shot only adds 30whp

First attempt at nitrous and not very successful. I'm running dynotune dry system. Engine is 383ci 9.2:1, mild cam, exhaust, LS6 intake. Bottle pressure is 850-900psi. I spray it on the MAF, about 3 inches from it.
What could be the problem? I can barely feel it if sprayed after 4500. If sprayed at 2500 it gives noticeable increase but not what I would expect from 100 shot.
AFR stays OK at 11.5-12.3, and there's no knock retard. Although I didn't change ignition maps, so it has 26-28 degrees in top rpm range
What am I doing wrong?
Old 05-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Teching In

I have a 100 dry on my car and feel it big time....I would get the pressure up to 950- 1000......it should feel better then...
Old 05-23-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

pressure change of 100 psi is not going to make a big change..id recheck your jet..also make sure the valve on the bottle is opening all the way up
Old 05-23-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bottle full and blow tube in proper position?
Old 05-23-2008, 01:05 PM
12 Second Club

http://www.robietherobot.com/nitrousjetcalculator.htm
Recheck your jets, up your pressure just because(i agree it wont help much...950ish) Check your nitrous filter and clean if necessary.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:23 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

If the bottle is not full you'll receive a similar result. I know its a simple one but was that checked?
Old 05-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Teching In

From my experience, spraying nitrous at or before the MAF will cause a variety of problems due to the fact that you're no longer metering the natural flow of air into the engine. This will generally cause most systems to adjust mixture and sometimes timing.

This is why plate systems are set at the throttle body, aside from the fact that you want liquid nitrous to have to travel as little as possible in before reaching the cylinders...

Try moving the nozzle closer to the TB and beyond the MAF.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:04 PM
Banned

Suggesting him to spray BEYOND the maf is just plain stupid, a dry kit works by having the maf add the extra fuel, if you spray after the maf you are going go lean and to go POP
Old 05-23-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyRS
From my experience, spraying nitrous at or before the MAF will cause a variety of problems due to the fact that you're no longer metering the natural flow of air into the engine. This will generally cause most systems to adjust mixture and sometimes timing.

This is why plate systems are set at the throttle body, aside from the fact that you want liquid nitrous to have to travel as little as possible in before reaching the cylinders...

Not a dry shot!
Old 05-24-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should do some research before you give advice as you are telling this guy how to blow his engine. This type of input really is a dis service to the n2o world in general, and the dry camp more pointedly. Try reading the wet vs dry thread, and then you'll be able to give accurate information and become an asset to the site.
Mac Daddy Wet vs Dry Thread

To the original poster, I would contact Dyno tune and talk to them. They will walk you through the diagnostic process, as surely, something is messed up. Myself, I would opt to just get a dry plate and Interface from HSW and be done with it. Good luck, and don't be disheartened, you'll get the dry kit figured out.
Robert

Old 05-25-2008, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lot of replies, thanks guys

To answer some suggestions:
no nitrous filter
jet is correct size
there's no blow-down tube installed
how to check whether bottle valve opens all the way?

Robert: got to use what I have too much time and $$$ to get any more toys. I can't see why dry shot will not work eventually

I will try to heat the bottle up to 950psi, although I think flow is proportional to sq.root of pressure, so not much extra flow from +100psi
Maybe I should try run the system without jet at all? That should give me HP that solenoid is rated at - 175HP?

And no, I wouldn't spray dry after MAF
Old 05-25-2008, 08:03 AM
Alt
TECH Resident

Square root extraction for flow with pressures this high seem to have gotten skewed from my SOTP dyno, it certainly feels like there is a good bit more *** out of it from bumping up the pressure another 100psi.

If you run it w/o a jet would you have enough injector to supply that supposed 175hp shot?
Old 05-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Banned

were you spraying a wet kit before the maf?seriously man that puts you up there with some of the craziest things ever stated
Old 05-25-2008, 12:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vetal
First attempt at nitrous and not very successful. I'm running dynotune dry system. Engine is 383ci 9.2:1, mild cam, exhaust, LS6 intake. Bottle pressure is 850-900psi. I spray it on the MAF, about 3 inches from it.
What could be the problem? I can barely feel it if sprayed after 4500. If sprayed at 2500 it gives noticeable increase but not what I would expect from 100 shot.
AFR stays OK at 11.5-12.3, and there's no knock retard. Although I didn't change ignition maps, so it has 26-28 degrees in top rpm range
What am I doing wrong?
you might try to test the system by pulling the nozzle out and activating the system into the air just to see how much pressure it seems to have,did you use thread sealant on anything in the line if so it might be that some has broke off and/or is blocking the flow
just dont spray yourself with it=bad freeze burn
Old 05-25-2008, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used teflon tape everywhere for sealing.
I activated system into the air just before putting it into intake bellow, seemed to have pressure, but didn't work properly right after assembling...
Of course I'll disassemble everything and reassemble, but I'm 80% sure all the connections are fine... Only thing that comes to mind is that pipe to the nozzle was severely bent right before the nozzle when I first installed it. I'll see how it looks now.
Anymore suggestions?
Old 05-26-2008, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

teflon tape = bigtime no!!! it sounds like something is clogging the line to me.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

can't find teflon paste here
Old 06-04-2008, 02:40 PM
Teching In

Ha! My bad. I thought we were talking wet kits here. I haven't used a dry kit in days! Sorry for the misinformation my friend.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

How can nitrous lines and solenoid be checked?
Old 07-19-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Regular

easyest way to test the nitrous line is pull it out, put it to your mouth and see if you can blow through it =]

i dont know enough about solinoids to give you good info. =(