Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 ls1 4l60e into a 1972 Camaro (looking for the least expensive routes)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 ls1 4l60e into a 1972 Camaro (looking for the least expensive routes)

Hoping i could bennefit from all you guys that have done this swap or a similar one!
Im trading my motorcycle for the power plant this morning and would like to get the swap underway ... Theres a guy on ebay who will suposedly program the computer for 50-100 bucks convert the harness for 200? Anyone have experience with these guys ?
I know from reading a ton of posts on here that ls1 swaps are not a cheap swap but im still hoping i can get some good info on doing it as cost effectively as possible..
I'm very willing to do everything but the computer programing myself (i am young 29 but I do auto body and paint as well as mechanical for a living)
I have a mig welder and im decent at farication... Any and all advice is welcome!
Thanks guys!
Dave
Old 05-24-2008, 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm in the same boat.

Rewire a stock harness, make BRP style engine mount plates, build off stock manifolds for cheap (i bought headers $550)

right now i'm trying to figure out the cheapest/effective way to do the fuel system
Old 05-24-2008, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Heres the link for the programer / harness converter that i mentioned earlier on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS1-L...spagenameZWDVW
Any thoughts ?
Also i wanna eliminate the ac compressor as my 72 is a non ac car ... how does one go about this with the serpentine set up?
Has anyone pulled off using the clam shell style stock 72 and later motor mounts?
Old 05-24-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

the compressor runs on a different part of the pulley than the other accessories. Two different belts. I also used the stock clam shell mounts on my 79. Just made the bracket that bolts to the motor.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

Cheap fuel system? I used the stock 4th gen fuel bucket assembly, ran it to a 3rd gen sending unit assembly, off to a Vette regulator and used aluminum 3/8" line with hardware store fittings. Been working just fine now for ~15K miles.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sumped my fuel tank and run a walbro 255 inline to a corvette filter regulator.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want to save $200 and convert the harness yourself, pm me and I'll send you the schematics for the engine harness. It's not hard to do at all. The only thing I recommend is using a meter to check all the wires when you are through to make sure you have a good connection on all pins.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by OldSchoolFormula
Cheap fuel system? I used the stock 4th gen fuel bucket assembly, ran it to a 3rd gen sending unit assembly, off to a Vette regulator and used aluminum 3/8" line with hardware store fittings. Been working just fine now for ~15K miles.
can you get more details or pics? is this something that could work on a chevelle?
Old 05-26-2008, 09:27 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Make your own mounts and rework your own harness.

Just doing a lot of reading will give you tons of ideas to save $$$.

I re-used the factory plastic flex lines from a V6 camaro.

check out this for the tank mod http://www.cardomain.com/ride/716267/3
Old 05-26-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if u want cheep,
go with a 5.3 and a th350 with stock higher flowing c6 manifolds or shorty headers and ls1 intake. that is a common lo budget ls swap that makes good power,
heck even a 4.8 runs good, i have ran down gt mustangs and ricers with my rcsb truck and even smoked a lt1 fbody from a dig
all i have is a cai and a c/o on the truck
Old 05-26-2008, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NemeSS
if u want cheep,
go with a 5.3 and a th350 with stock higher flowing c6 manifolds or shorty headers and ls1 intake. that is a common lo budget ls swap that makes good power,
heck even a 4.8 runs good, i have ran down gt mustangs and ricers with my rcsb truck and even smoked a lt1 fbody from a dig
all i have is a cai and a c/o on the truck
I do want cheap! lol but i already have a donor 02 ls-1 and 4l60e thats what has inspired me to pull out a motor i swapped into my camaro not more than 2 months ago! Its just the install im trying to pull off as inexpensively as humanly possible!
I would rather drive my 72 camaro daily than my current DD a 90 325i 4 door!
So im thinking with a fuel injected ls1 and overdrive trans that this would be much more feesable!
Thanks to everyone for your help and input!
All you gearheads are quite welcoming to a newbie!
Cheers! Dave
Old 05-27-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

I highly recommend Jesse Bibb at waitforme preformance to tune the pcm. Many folks here have used him. He charges 84$. You can buy a stand alone harness kit from ebay for 109$
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LT1-L...spagenameZWDVW

Hook up about 5 or 6 wires and your done. If you can mount the pcm in the engine bay and retain the factory harness this is the route to go. If you are moving the pcm inside or remotely locating it and need a longer harness then you might consider using one of the harness rework guys. Other wise it is very easy to wire I just did my first and it was the easiest part of the entire swap. Good luck with your project
Old 05-30-2008, 01:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rockytopper
I highly recommend Jesse Bibb at waitforme preformance to tune the pcm. Many folks here have used him. He charges 84$. You can buy a stand alone harness kit from ebay for 109$
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LT1-L...spagenameZWDVW

Hook up about 5 or 6 wires and your done. If you can mount the pcm in the engine bay and retain the factory harness this is the route to go. If you are moving the pcm inside or remotely locating it and need a longer harness then you might consider using one of the harness rework guys. Other wise it is very easy to wire I just did my first and it was the easiest part of the entire swap. Good luck with your project
Awesome man thanks for the tips !

I dont know if i should start a new thread or just hope someone reads this..
I have a torque converter question!
I have a stock 02 ls-1 from an F body, the 4l60e trans is a fresh reuild with shift kit,kevlar clutches,billet corvette servo piston etc... It came with a brand new TCI (i believe) 3500 stall converter ... I am looking to gain gas mileage along with performance ..will this high of a stall speed be harmfull to my mileage ? even when im not flooring it? I do plan on upgrading the engine eventuall but i want to get it in the car and running correctly before i even think of upgrades ...will i regret not putting in the stall speed converter after i upgrade the motor?
I'm a pro touring guy as opposed to a pro street guy ... is that a factor?
Thanks!
D~
Old 05-30-2008, 02:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Shouldn't be a big deal if it's a lock up converter and you're doing a lot of freeway driving. Around town it might play a little bigger part in gas milage, but I have a 3200 converter and I was still getting close to 21 MPG with just headers if I was easy on the loud pedal. I'm sure others can chime in about this too.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:02 AM
Teching In

Cool thats kinda what i was hoping to hear!
I have a lil 10 inch converter (3800 ish stall speed) in my camaro with the 355 (3.42 gears) guess its a loose converter ... its f...ing obnocious(sp? lol)
It may be that the tranny is stock and old and I threw the converter on it to see how fast it would grenade the trans (reason to upgrade right?)
I regret the stupid desicion everytime i drive it ..or look at the stock converter in my garage!
I just dont want to play the shoulda coulda woulda game anymore!
I'm getting too old to be doing tanny swaps and **** in the driveway on my back.... its bad enough when im getting paid to do it! lol
Thanks again guys!

Ps wow its 4 am ... this sites addicting!
Good night!

Quick Reply: 2002 ls1 4l60e into a 1972 Camaro (looking for the least expensive routes)