Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch/shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 01:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch/shifting problems

Ok im having some issues that i cant seem to figure out, so hopefully someone might be able to tell me whats going on. I have a 99 ss camaro with the manual 6 speed, everything is original equipment and the car has 67k on it.
First problem:
When I go to shift from 1st to 2nd the second i push the clutch in i hear/feel this sort of banging metal clanking sound, then once im in 2nd gear and i go to let the clutch out its almost impossible to get it to go smoothly. sometimes i will have this problem going from 2nd to 3rd but it doesnt happen often. the car has never been to the track and this happens no matter what RPM i shift at. clutch fluid looks fine but im not the original owner, so who knows how long its been since the last fluid change.

Second problem:
There is no doubt in my mind that the synchros in my trans are atleast a little worn out because shifting is pretty notchy (first through third is definetly the worst) but its not enough to really bother me. However when i go to shift from 2nd to 3rd at 3k RPM or more i can never find 3rd gear. it doesnt even feel like a synchro problem because i cant even feel the trans fighting me to get it in there. when this happens i have to wiggle the shifter around in neutral and then im able to get in 3rd no problem. this only happens when i shift above 3k and it only happens maybe 60% or 70% of the time.

ive had this car for nearly a year but mechanically speaking im a newbie. hopefully im describing my problems well enough so that someone can help me out. any input is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-29-2008, 03:24 AM
Launching!

Just curious do you have the factory Hurst shifter (has an H on the shift ****) and did you replace the shifter stick with a short stick? The rubber isolator in the stock Hurst made me miss shifts a lot, try and see if that helps

Plus shift feel is improved with a short stick, it is one of the best bang-for-your-buck mods you can get for our cars

I'm not sure about the metal clunking sounds though
Old 05-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Teching In

I do have the original shifter but it isnt a hurst :-/
Old 05-30-2008, 01:45 AM
Launching!

Might wanna hold back on the short stick then, some people with the stock non-Hurst shifters have reported problems with banging into the center console while shifting.

all I know is with 70,000 on my stock Hurst and rubber-isolated stick it was very notchy. With a short stick it was firmer and less notchy, and when I upgraded to the Hurst Billet it was very smooth. Put the short stick on that and I found my ideal combo
Old 05-30-2008, 08:54 PM
Teching In

thats cool, what would you reccomend then? i wanted to get some kind of aftermarket shifter
Old 06-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Teching In

no ideas?
Old 06-04-2008, 10:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ive had a stock shifter and a stock hurst shifter both with short stick and have had no problems. fyi..
Old 06-04-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the stock shifter, I'd recommend the WS6 store 6.5 inch stick. It should clear just fine.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:57 AM
Teching In

i just orderd the ws6store 6.5" stick so hopefully that will help, thanks for the input!

Quick Reply: clutch/shifting problems