Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

difference between FTRA and SLP?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default difference between FTRA and SLP?

is there any difference in the fast toys ram air kit vs. the SLP set up? HP gains one over the other etc... anything?
-Kris
Old 06-02-2008, 01:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool

I dont know about the fast toys one and Im sure its a nice piece but on there website it says will increase the chance of water getting in the airbox and that is the main reason I didnt get it but Im sure any of them will have that chance but Ive had the SLP one on my SS Camaro for 3 to 4 years with know problem and I do drive it in the rain some what with no problem. As far as performance goes on a dyno I dont know but the SLP one is $120.50 on there website and the fast toys is $169.99 on there. $50.00 difference

Last edited by Evans752; 06-02-2008 at 02:03 AM.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:30 AM
11 Second Club

the fast toys one comes with a block off plate to disable the ram air box in rainy weather, only takes 2 screws
Old 06-02-2008, 11:05 AM
11 Second Club

FTRA also has a lower scoop piece that the SLP does not.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok so theres not really much a difference then? not one that you could feel if you went from one to the other? thanks for the info.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

FTRA: Channels air from air dam to lid/air box.
SLP: Catches air from in front of the radiator.

FTRA>SLP

If you want to keep the price down search ebay for a cheap used cold air and add the FTRA upgrade kit. I was able to get my SLP cold air from ebay for $61 shipped and the upgrade kit from a LS1tech member for $50.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

^thanks
Old 06-02-2008, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 94TRANS
is there any difference in the fast toys ram air kit vs. the SLP set up? HP gains one over the other etc... anything?
-Kris
Have you considered the SSRA (aka Austin Ram Air). It's plastic so no heat soak. And it has a scoop that hangs down in front of the mud flap.
http://www.lmperformance.com/1858/15.html
Old 06-03-2008, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by massls1guy
Have you considered the SSRA (aka Austin Ram Air). It's plastic so no heat soak. And it has a scoop that hangs down in front of the mud flap.
http://www.lmperformance.com/1858/15.html
that is awsome. thanks for the post iv never herd of that one but have seen some similar, thanks again. i may give that a try, was thinking of maybe doing a custome one?
Old 06-03-2008, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I thought about doing a custom one too. If you get under the front bumper and look up there isn't a heck of a lot of room. And there is that support bracket thing right in the middle. I think the SSRA is a good design, I like mine a lot.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

i just bought the SSRA one, Al is now selling them on ebay for $149 buy it now price. he answered all my questions before buying the product, even gave me his personal email so we could talk more about it before purchase, top notch guy, love the fact that its plastic and angled off the radiator instead of sitting right on it....the only down side i have heard so far is that you need to screw the scoop into the bottom of the front bumper, and some people didnt want to do that to their cars!!!! i am supposed to get mine thurs, i will take some pics of the product before and after install and make a post for it, or you can pm me to see how it went!!! just my opinion here, lol....
Old 06-03-2008, 09:33 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by m2g4b
i just bought the SSRA one, Al is now selling them on ebay for $149 buy it now price. he answered all my questions before buying the product, even gave me his personal email so we could talk more about it before purchase, top notch guy, love the fact that its plastic and angled off the radiator instead of sitting right on it....the only down side i have heard so far is that you need to screw the scoop into the bottom of the front bumper, and some people didnt want to do that to their cars!!!! i am supposed to get mine thurs, i will take some pics of the product before and after install and make a post for it, or you can pm me to see how it went!!! just my opinion here, lol....
That part of my bumper is white anyway from bottoming out lol
Old 06-04-2008, 06:25 PM
FormerVendor

Default Ftra

The FTRA is a true ram air kit that routes air off of the lower air deflector into a sealed airbox. It is much more effective than the SLP kit which really is only a cold air kit as it sits half way up the radiator and does not route air directly into the air box.

The FTRA kit also includes a block off plate to disable the kit should you need to drive in nasty weather. The FTRA kit also does a better job of sealing the airbox which will allow you to build some slight pressure (ram air effect) at higher speed.

We do sell a kit to adapt an SLP kit to be similiar to an FTRA on our web site. Part # FTSLPCAUP

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

The block off plate is a good idea, if you are actually going to pull over and install it every time you get caught in the rain. Any of them that scoop air from the air dam area are prone to big trouble should you drive through a big puddle. If it does channel a significant amont of water into the airbox 1 time, your motor is going to be destroyed by hydrolock.