Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New on this board, DSM owner...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New on this board, DSM owner...

Been on here a while, but I'm bored as hell so I figured why not introduce myself and doa little something.

Name is Josh, always been a fan of f-bodies, wanted one ever since I could remember thinking about cars...BUT my dad grew up around v8's, and he really doesn't like the idea of me doing what he used to when he was younger. SO, I got stuck with not being able to buy a LT1/LS1/and even a freakin TPI. After a few "discussions", I finally gave up on the camaro idea and IMO, went to the next best thing. Turbo + AWD. Thanks to the car gods, my dad doesn't have a clue about what a turbo four can do. I have a 97 Eclipse GSX that the previous owner put a bit of money into. Problem is, he went big on a few things, and skimped on a few others. So right now I am in the process of doing all the little things/getting my car somewhat decent, and having some fun. A bit of background info on my car...AUTOMATIC BITCHES!!!!, it was sent out to IPT, had a performance rebuild, shift kit, 4200 rpm stall, tranny controller, etc and really likes jerking the hell outta my head. For fuel I have an S-AFCII, which I am about to get rid of for DSMLink with 950cc-1050cc injectors, and I'm running a pretty decent sized turbo, a DBB Garrett 3071R. My car is black, and on the outside is completely stock, except for the full 3" turbo back exhaust, intercooler, and a different brake rotors. Stock wheels, no gay *** body kit, I have a stock spoiler, which IMO, is damn sexy, no vinyls, and a 2" drop. I'm still pretty new with cars, but learning fairly fast, mostly from working on it a bit myself, and I'm a pretty active member of DSMTalk. I know that there is someone on here that lives fairly close to me, S8R is the first part of his username on DSMTalk at least...so yea. Here's a couple pics...

How it currently sits...and yes, haha, it's a DSM being worked on big surprize...

Dirty pic from a crappy *** camara from when I was bored...

Old 06-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Teching In

Stock 7 bolt still? Nice car, I had a 1g AWD TSi before I bought my Camaro. It was a fun car to mess around with, they're definitely mean street cars if you build them right.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

Yea...it's a stock 7-bolt, but I just put a headgasket and some ARP's in. One of the other good things about an automatic tranny in a DSM, is that there is a lot lower chance of the dreaded crankwalk. Don't get me wrong, a stick would be fun as hell, but I don't mind 20 psi from the line, *less chance of crankwalk, keeping in boost throughout every gear, AND not burning through clutches/x-fer cases/etc.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 95 done up pretty good but it just didn't do it for me. Sounds like it will be a fun lil car though, Welcome to a great site!
Old 06-06-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Regular

Nice car, my friend had two of them when i was in the army. They definatley can be made to run.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:01 AM
Staging Lane

Yea, right now, I'm trying to go from s-afcII with 680's to dsmlink with 950's...possibly cams at the end of the summer if I have enough money inbetween moving for school, and trying to have a good time while I'm still with all my high school buddies.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:10 AM
TECH Resident

@ Automatic! Nice ride, based on the wheels I'd say it's a GST. Sorry still have to say LS1>DSM
Old 06-07-2008, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Welcome aboard, DSM's can be made into serious cars just takes serious amounts of money. As for the crankwalk, I don't know who sold you on the auto being less likely than a manual. It has nothing to do with your transmission. Just hope for the best.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sslateron
@ Automatic! Nice ride, based on the wheels I'd say it's a GST. Sorry still have to say LS1>DSM
The previous owner got those wheels because he liked them better. And laught all you want at my automatic...there is nothing like building 20 lbs at the line. And in all honesty, I agree with you on the LS1>DSM. "Cept that overall, a 4g63 is pretty close in performance ONCE MODDED, all depends on who you feel like asking. Try not to get this into a LS1 vs. 4g63 debate also...thank you.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:28 PM

Welcome fellow dsmer.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mattism78
Welcome aboard, DSM's can be made into serious cars just takes serious amounts of money. As for the crankwalk, I don't know who sold you on the auto being less likely than a manual. It has nothing to do with your transmission. Just hope for the best.
Eh, doesn't take very much to get started...EASY 13 second cars if modded correctly. Once you get past there though, then you gotta start dumping it it. On the crankwalk issue... there were a few threads on Talk that say it was a bit less likely, could be wrong. My car is a '97, and the MOST SUSECPTIBLE cranks were the '95-'96. It has also been said that once a 7-bolt has reached around 85-90K, it's chances of crankwalking are slim to none, mainly because if it hasn't done it by then, then it MOST LIKELY won't. And yes, I am gonna be pissed if it happens to me anytime soon, just because I am going through all this...knock on wood.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by brokendsm
Welcome fellow dsmer.
What's up...are you on Talk... I'm on tuners, but I just like talk more.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

can someone tell me what a dsm is? i dont know these terms Ive always been a v8 kinda guy... i dunno. dont get me wrong im not dissin the car, just have no idea what it is or does lol. someone help me.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

and whats a 7 bolt and crankwalk?
Old 06-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

DSM...Diamond Star Motors, the first three "DSM's" were the Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, and Plymouth Laser. Diamond Star Motors are the three companies, Mitsubishi, Eagle, and Plymouth. The name pretty much just stuck with them, until they went to the mega-tard v6.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

Crankwalk = Bad, very very bad. Go to DSMTalk.com, and do a quick search, it'll give you a better description then what I could do.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:20 PM
10 Second Truck Club

welcome to ls1tech
Old 06-07-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

thank you. i thought dsm was for dual side mount intercoolers and all these cars had them..
and omg crankwalk is bad lol
Old 06-07-2008, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by hawaiifiveoh
What's up...are you on Talk... I'm on tuners, but I just like talk more.
I'm on both but I don't post much.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:49 PM
11 Second Club

yep had a dsm couldn't afford the repair bills. been there and crankwalked that. needless to say i've got my ls1 now and im never lookin back lol.