Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

help me set up for paint!!!!! need advise on what i need

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 04:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face help me set up for paint!!!!! need advise on what i need

hey guys i need some help on what i need to get set up for paint.
i have a good size air compresor its the stand up straint type and is about 4 foot tall so i think it should be good on that part.
what kind of paint gun do i need and what type parts and fitings do i need?
i know i need an air water seporater which i can get at lowes and i have a good size hose for the compresor to the gun.
now if i got to a shop that makes paint what kind of paint is it enamel or acrilic? ill probly use the ready to spray clear that dupicolor came out with.
and how do i mix the base coat paint with the thinner what ratio do i go with?
im painting my oem spoiler and the fredome designs spoiler that goes on top of it. i seen a paint gun i think its a cambel hausfield at walmart fot 20 so will that be ok? thanks for the help guys and sorry about the spelling its late lol.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

theres so many different variables here. you normally would spray a spray gun about about 25-30psi defending on the size panel your spraying or even lower for small apots while priming. a walmart gun isnt really the best bet either. you definaly want a hvlp gun gravity feed gun. for a decent spray gun i would go with a devilbliss or for a top of the line gun go with sata or annest iwata but those 2 companys tend to get up there in price. you would want to use a 1.4 for sealer, 1.4 or 1.3 tip for basecoat and a 1.3 tip for clear. if you have to prime a 1.7 i think is the best size. i recommend atleast havign a 60 gallon compressor with a 2 to 4 stage dryer stystem that would be added on afterwards. also i believe most paint is poly urethane but a lot of companys still do acrylic. also every company is different in mixing basecoat. some are 1:1 or like standox and spies and hekker are 1:60% and the list goes on and on. same with clear ratios. i dont know how good duplicolors clears are but i personally would go with ppg, spies and hekker or standox for the best quality stuff even for the basecoat. as for hoses i really cant tell you because i use whatevers at the shop i work at and dont spray out of my garage. my neighbors would probablly through a fit. if you have anymore questions let post um up.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:06 PM
12 Second Club

well i really dont have any neighbors so im ok there lol and ill move my cars across the street so i think im ok there. like i said im just painting my oem spoiler and the freedome designs spoiler that sits on top of it.i will be doing it in my garage but im going to get some plastic and make a paint booth i know it not the best but it will work for me and plus im not painting the whole car just smaller parts. i dont have a big selection on where to get painting supplys so its eather lowes ot advance auto. im trying to do it on the cheaper side i dont need top of the line pro guns and so on.oh and i looked at my air compresor and its a 21 gallon.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:44 PM
11 Second Club

I think the duplicolor stuff is laquer based I'd stay away from that, just go to your local paint supply shop there are some very good budget priced urethane paint out there that you don't have to spend an arm and a leg on. If this is the only thing you will ever paint then just go to harbor freight and get a gravity hvlp gun there, if you plan on doing more in the future then I'd step up to a middle of the road gun like a Devilbiss finishline or similar (look online for good deals). You can paint in your garage no problem putting up the plastic will help I'd also wet the floor down before you start shooting. I also use the little disposable inline filters along with the dryer I got a Lowe's and don't have any issues with contaminants to date. You will also need other supplies such as sandpaper, some tack cloth, wax/grease remover, reducer, whatever catalyst your base/clear requires, mixing cups, strainers, a respirator is a good idea, some thinner to clean your gun, a regulator for the gun, I probably left something out but you get the idea. Go on Google and search "automotive paint supply your hometown, state" there has to be one within driving distance that you could call and talk to someone about how much all this will cost and what all you will need.

Last edited by torquejunky; 06-09-2008 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

bought my 1st gun at tool shed for 100.00. works great for small parts . use it for base ,clear , whatever . if your going to paint the whole car buy a nice gun . about 300 to 400 . like tj said ask the paint shop pros . they can help with mixing and will even mix it for you.although you have to mix the clear.and depending on brand depends on 4 to 1 or 3 to 1 etc.buy thinner 5 gals at a time ,much much cheaper . get it at the paint supply store as well.thats my .02
Old 06-08-2008, 07:44 PM
12 Second Club

i went to lowes and the had a smaller gravity feed gun for 40 bucks. ill go to a paint shop tomorrow and see what i come up with.thanks guys.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by Camaroholic; 06-23-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

got a satajet 3000 digital i will sell its 600 new, take 300 shipped was jsut serviced by sata
Old 06-15-2008, 12:39 AM
Staging Lane

wow a $40 gun? I guess on a small spoiler it would do it, generally I would say buy at least a $100-$150 gun if you cant afford a super nice one... dont expect much out of it for atomizing and laying out metallic...
Old 06-20-2008, 04:23 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Talking

Buy a good quality basecoat clearcoat system PPG Basf Dupont Sherwin Williams all make a great product.There are less expensive alternatives but the old saying applies you get what you pay for. If you go with the better paint expect to spend between $600.00-$800.00 on paint and materials. If you go with the less expensive you can buy everything for around $400.00. But use basecoat clearcoat it cost a little more than single stage but it will last longer.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Quick Reply: help me set up for paint!!!!! need advise on what i need