Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What can I do about this? PICS

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 06:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What can I do about this? PICS

had a custom Y made the other day with the flowmaster merge and i decided to have some cats put on too... my problem is that the cat on the driver's side is right under my seat and when i get on it (at least 3/4 throttle or more) i can feel the pipe hitting the frame.... at first i thought there was something wrong with the cat but im pretty sure its just that it's hitting the frame a little... i'm afraid my welds are gonna eventually break too... here's a couple pics... what can i do about this?
Attached Thumbnails What can I do about this? PICS-exhaust2.jpg  
Old 06-15-2008, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brandon_01_ta
had a custom Y made the other day with the flowmaster merge and i decided to have some cats put on too... my problem is that the cat on the driver's side is right under my seat and when i get on it (at least 3/4 throttle or more) i can feel the pipe hitting the frame.... at first i thought there was something wrong with the cat but im pretty sure its just that it's hitting the frame a little... i'm afraid my welds are gonna eventually break too... here's a couple pics... what can i do about this?
Wedge a piece of high temp tubing between the cat and frame. Acts as a bumper and kills vibration into the seat pan.
I had the same problem here.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:44 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As I stated in another post, motor mounts are the solution to your problem. That is the only CORRECT way to fix your problem.

Anything else is a simple bandaid.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I disagree with the band aid statment... My Y was also banging the floor board so I went to a shop and explained the problem. They said it could be fixed easy so I pulled it on the lift and he got the magic tool. A peice of scrap pipe! All they did was bend the section that was hitting down a little. I havent has a single bang or rub since and im on factory motor mounts. Bend that **** down a bit and you will have your sanity back!
Old 06-15-2008, 07:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get some poly motor mounts.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tennz28
I disagree with the band aid statment... My Y was also banging the floor board so I went to a shop and explained the problem. They said it could be fixed easy so I pulled it on the lift and he got the magic tool. A peice of scrap pipe! All they did was bend the section that was hitting down a little. I havent has a single bang or rub since and im on factory motor mounts. Bend that **** down a bit and you will have your sanity back!
I am sure that fixed your problem, but simply placing some rubber tubing above the pipe is a band aid.

Also I would rather fix the problem, than lose some ground clearance.

If your motor is rocking (more than normal, or stock) THEN YOU NEED MOTOR MOUNTS.

Originally Posted by matt94z
Get some poly motor mounts.
+eleventy billion
Old 06-15-2008, 10:01 PM
Launching!

ok so obviously i need to get motor mounts.... the problem now is that i dont know anything about motor mounts and i def couldnt do the install myself cause i dont have access to a lift and i dont have any jacks.... so how much will the poly motor mounts cost me? and how bad is it gonna cost me to have my local shop put them in?
Old 06-15-2008, 11:36 PM
11 Second Club

The mounts aren't very high, but putting them in in noooo fun... Mine were a PITA, but well worth it. Not sure how much a shop would charge to do it. I did mine when I put on my LT's.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

I took a crowbar and yanked it down ....no cats...but it fixed the pipe banging in 10 minutes for free.....almost 2 years ago..still fine.....WORTH A TRY..it is usually only a little bit of movement that makes this happen.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:25 AM
Banned

im going to do the motor mounts and headers, i just ordered them. but i want to avoid the banging even b4 it gets started
Old 06-16-2008, 06:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Poly transmission mount helped mine more than anything else
Old 06-16-2008, 08:55 AM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Deeavi
Poly transmission mount helped mine more than anything else
If you only install a trans mount with the stock motor mounts it will cause stress on the tailshaft of the transmission. FYI
Old 06-16-2008, 09:12 AM
12 Second Club

ghetto-rig a piece of rubber tubing and loop it on with a cheap clamp, its like an exhaust bumpstop, that is if you care about it that bad. i just added a cam so i wouldnt feel/hear it
Old 06-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Banned

If you wedge something in between the exhaust and floor it'll stop the banging but then your header will get the job of holding the engine down. Maybe it'll eventually bend down, or maybe it'll crack the tube(s) or welds.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

thunder racing has a thing to stop the banging
Old 06-16-2008, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1-NAVY
thunder racing has a thing to stop the banging
It is from Mufflex. The last time I talked to TR they said that part had been on backorder for ever.