Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Ground question

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 06:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ground question

I am using a full tsunami 4 gauge wiring kit, i have everything wired in the proper order, but i only had enough ground cable to allow my ground option to be the tie down on the rear deck. I removed the torx screw and cleaned off any paint and debris, connected the ground mount(tsunami sent a nice mount so i know its making full contact). I went and hooked up the power wire to the battery, heard a small arc, nothing deadly, but have no lights on my digi fuse block or cap. Used a test light and im only getting a dim light with that ground. Removed the ground mount and could see very little arc trace from the arc. is this not a solid ground? i would have thought it would be since its welded to the chasis.

side note being that i have digital readouts, would i have to have the amps turning on to get juice to that stuff, as of right now i have the amps hooked with power and ground but no remote or rca's ( just wanting to make sure everything works first)

sorry for the book
Old 06-16-2008, 06:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a professional, but i'd say as long as you got all the paint off and sanded it down to steel, AND that the Torx screw your using to hold it down is steel, then that ground should be alright. Did ya make sure that the power wire isnt the issue? I looked on my car and my ground is behind the plastic mat near the hatch clamp/spring whatever you wanna call it. Idk if this bolt was there already but it's sanded and drilled through that hollow piece.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:11 PM
TECH Junkie

I always run a full length ground along the power line myself.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
I always run a full length ground along the power line myself.
didnt have enough or i wouuld have, may still do so just have to buy some 4Ga ground im sure its not cheap

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
I'm not a professional, but i'd say as long as you got all the paint off and sanded it down to steel, AND that the Torx screw your using to hold it down is steel, then that ground should be alright. Did ya make sure that the power wire isnt the issue? I looked on my car and my ground is behind the plastic mat near the hatch clamp/spring whatever you wanna call it. Idk if this bolt was there already but it's sanded and drilled through that hollow piece.
the power wire is ran direct from the batterey so it shouldnt be that
Old 06-17-2008, 12:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1FAST02FORMULAHAWK
didnt have enough or i wouuld have, may still do so just have to buy some 4Ga ground im sure its not cheap
Yeah, I know. I bought the same kit you did. I didn't read that only 3' of ground came with the kit before purchasing it. so I was kinda pissed at myself, but went ahead and ordered I think 17' of ground.

Do you have access to an actual Volt meter, not a test light?
Old 06-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Launching!

no i dont have one, blew the fuse/resistor in it it was just a cheapy. ill prolly just end up buying the full length ground cable, i have the money, im just to cheap to spend it.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Well, I just run a full length ground for noise issues and a true good ground. This may not be your actual problem. Where did you connect your ground?
Old 06-17-2008, 02:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
Well, I just run a full length ground for noise issues and a true good ground. This may not be your actual problem. Where did you connect your ground?

As stated above i connected it to one of the rear deck hold down screws, the lil triangle braces behind the rear seats.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:19 PM
Teching In

if u got an arc then ur getting a ground try usein a small peice of wire and hookin up the remote power from the hot wire and see if ur digs start working no need in running a full length ground wire