General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Just got new A/C hard line, no gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 08:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just got new A/C hard line, no gaskets?

I broke the line from the condensor next to the battery that goes towards the back of the car while working on the car. Ordered up a new one. I got it today, but it didn't come with any new gaskets or seals of any kind. I don't think the old part had any, but shouldn't there be some? Before I put this on and go to a shop for the vaccum/recharge I wanna find out if I need to hit up the stealership for the gaskets. Anyone ever change one of these?
Old 06-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Banned

I have changed one, got from the dealer. The one I got had the orifice tube and one seal included. I reused the other seal that time.
Since then I've bought complete seal kits from advance auto or autozone, factory air brand made in USA for $8. The GM seals are made in mexico. GM doesn't stock them but can get it next day, the other stores had them in stock when I went to get it.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Since then I've bought complete seal kits from advance auto or autozone, factory air brand made in USA for $8.
So I just go into Advance Auto and ask for a "Factory Air A/C seal kit" for my car? Or is it something more specific?

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:00 AM
11 Second Club

Okay, just checked the GM part, no gaskets. So I need to go buy them this weekend for sure. I really don't remember any on the old part I pulled off either unless they fell off or are stuck on the old one? Where exactly do the two gaskets go and what shape are they?

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2008, 10:04 AM
11 Second Club

The line I broke is number 7 if this helps....
Attached Thumbnails Just got new A/C hard line, no gaskets?-fc93130.gif  
Old 06-18-2008, 10:24 AM
Banned

Here are some pics.
The first one is as it was pulled with the seal.
The second pic is with the seal halfway removed.
Third pic is the other end, there is no orifice tube in this one, the new one I had came with one, it's a gray or black plastic piece you'll see right at the end, it looks like a plus symbol ( + ) if yours didn't come with one you can either buy one for $6 or take the old one out and spray it clean. The tube this end attaches to has a seal like pic #1, but it is a different size.
The fourth pic is the seal kit.
I find it best to know the part number but just tell them you need a complete airconditioning seal kit, they only stock one brand.
I'd try to get the kit soon if you need it, they can get it for you in a day if they don't have it but I was surprised they had one in stock.

Last edited by 9000th01ss; 01-06-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SSNISTR
The line I broke is number 7 if this helps....
Thats an LT1 car set up there. The LS1 system is totally different. GMpartsdirect and some other pics I've seen show that wrong diagram for LS1 F-Bodies.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:30 AM
11 Second Club

Here are some pics.
The first one is as it was pulled with the seal.
The second pic is with the seal halfway removed.
Third pic is the other end, there is no orifice tube in this one, the new one I had came with one, it's a gray or black plastic piece you'll see right at the end, it looks like a plus symbol ( + ) if yours didn't come with one you can either buy one for $6 or take the old one out and spray it clean. The tube this end attaches to has a seal like pic #1, but it is a different size.
The fourth pic is the seal kit.
I find it best to know the part number but just tell them you need a complete airconditioning seal kit, they only stock one brand.
I'd try to get the kit soon if you need it, they can get it for you in a day if they don't have it but I was surprised they had one in stock.
Big help, thanks man!
Old 06-18-2008, 07:53 PM
11 Second Club

I ordered that bag of gaskets today. Is there a certain one I should use for the one on the back? Or will it be obvious when I open the bag? The gasket for the condensor side is on the GM part.

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2008, 10:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SSNISTR
I ordered that bag of gaskets today. Is there a certain one I should use for the one on the back? Or will it be obvious when I open the bag? The gasket for the condensor side is on the GM part.

Thanks!
Yes, just take the old one off and match it up.

Just for the hell of it I had this pic already, the smaller seal on the left goes on the cond side, the medium sized seal goes on the other side. (if you can see it)

Last edited by 9000th01ss; 01-06-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:42 AM
11 Second Club

Yes, just take the old one off and match it up.

Just for the hell of it I had this pic already, the smaller seal on the left goes on the cond side, the medium sized seal goes on the other side. (if you can see it)
Thanks man, you have been a big help!

Quick Reply: Just got new A/C hard line, no gaskets?