Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Buffing Orange Peel

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buffing Orange Peel

Alright I just finished my paint job about a week or 2 ago and am about to start buffing. Have a small spot or two of what seems to be bad orange peel (looks a little rough like sandpaper kind of but you can tell its clearcoat because of the shine) used 2 quarts of clear, not sure how many coats it come out to be tho because my bro cleared it and am afraid to sand through this getting the orange peel smooth but don't want to do a repaint and am NOT leaving those little bad orange peel spots. Suggestions? I feel most safe with sanding and buffing because I think the clear is thick enough.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not exactly sure you can polish orange peel away. But I've never tried. In my experience you have to sand it down. If 2 quarts of clear were used to paint that you'll have more than enough to wetsand before you hit paint. I'd suggest wetsanding with some 2000 grit. Just take your time and use a sanding block to make sure it's sanded evenly. Just sand lightly a little at a time and wipe it down to check the finish. Once it's uniformly dull polish it back up with rubbing compound and it'll look like glass.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty sure you're gonna have to wetsand it to get rid of the orange peel. Don't think you can simply polish it out...
Old 06-24-2008, 11:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

those sound like dry spots.try starting with 1000 then 1500 then 2000 shouldnt take ya more than 10 min.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys and yeah knew I would have to wetsand a little was just afraid I wouldn't have enough clear to sand it to that glass finish but Lotus289 makes a good point 2 quarts of clear should be enough to allow me to sand it out Thanks again for the help
Old 06-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kcsov6
Thanks guys and yeah knew I would have to wetsand a little was just afraid I wouldn't have enough clear to sand it to that glass finish but Lotus289 makes a good point 2 quarts of clear should be enough to allow me to sand it out Thanks again for the help
ok, did you spray the whole car with two quarts of clear or did i miss something? it will take alot more than two quarts to put enough clear on the car to get a glass like finish. also, two quarts or not, i would suggest taping ALL edges/adjacent panels to what you are sanding so you dont cut through any corners, that will be the first place to cut through. good luck. but honestly, two quarts isnt enough.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by yodas little brother
those sound like dry spots.try starting with 1000 then 1500 then 2000 shouldnt take ya more than 10 min.
10 minutes? are you kidding?
Old 06-25-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

two quarts doesnt sound like a lot of clear if you painted the whole car with only 2 quarts, unless you just paitned dif parts
Old 06-25-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it will take about a good 8 hour day to wet sand and buff the car get it looking real nice
Old 06-25-2008, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by redramair98
it will take about a good 8 hour day to wet sand and buff the car get it looking real nice
i sprayed close to a gallon on mine.. and have about 70 hrs in wet sanding and buffing it. no peal, perfect reflection.

o.p, to give you an idea, we sprayed a motorcycle today, katana 600. used a quart of clear on it and covered two coats, one medium, one wet. plenty to wetsand on.. but when you spread that plus one more over an entire car... not so much.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:27 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Smile

If you decide to buff your going to need to sand the orange peel out with 1500-2000 grit paper. It sounds like you don't have a whole lot of clear on the car. I would be very careful its not going to take much and you will go through the clear. Good luck!!
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 06-25-2008, 04:08 PM
Launching!

I used every bit of 5 quarts of clear on my car, and didn't even spray the rear bumper or hatch. With 2 quarts, I'd be scared to sand on it at all, especially anywhere near the edges. Lightly hit it with 1500, and go over that with 2000. Stay away from the edges.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Beyond Static
I used every bit of 5 quarts of clear on my car, and didn't even spray the rear bumper or hatch. With 2 quarts, I'd be scared to sand on it at all, especially anywhere near the edges. Lightly hit it with 1500, and go over that with 2000. Stay away from the edges.

yea, i used JUSt under a gallon on mine and it was a 2:1 mix so all said and done it was a gallon and a half, didnt do underside of hood, sprayed the jambs but didnt clear them.

i am still shocked that the first people to reply said "oh, yea,thats plenty to wetsand and buff on"

more than likely he got dry spry and peel because he didnt have enough clear for it to flow out well to begin with and the gun probably needed some adjusting.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by svtaaron
yea, i used JUSt under a gallon on mine and it was a 2:1 mix so all said and done it was a gallon and a half, didnt do underside of hood, sprayed the jambs but didnt clear them.

i am still shocked that the first people to reply said "oh, yea,thats plenty to wetsand and buff on"

more than likely he got dry spry and peel because he didnt have enough clear for it to flow out well to begin with and the gun probably needed some adjusting.
yeah that'd be me after reading what everyone's saying i'm gonna have to change my vote. just in clearing the center bar doing my t top conversion i used around 1/2 quart mixing 2:1. If they only used 2 quarts of clear (assuming 2:1) then it's going to be very thin. you should still be able to wetsand but go very slowly and watch the water that runs off for body color. and do tape off your edges, they'll cut down first.

i think i'll just keep my trap shut next time, seems more people have more experience than i do with painting.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys it was my first full car paint job me and my brother done so I wasn't sure how far to go. I just listened to the paint shops here. But wetsanding and buffing is coming along fine. Making sure to stay away from edged. In my experience buffing on F bodies whether its 2 coats or 20 when you try buffing around the sharp edges on our cars the paint seems to just grab the buffer.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:28 PM
Teching In

i cant believe the guys at the paint supply store recommended spraying 2 quarts and or said it was safe (not sayin they didnt)
Old 06-25-2008, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Ah its cool tho lucky for me I've had a lot of wetsand and buffing experience. From what I hear any car will have a small ammount of orange peel so my skills shall come in handy in the future as well

Quick Reply: Buffing Orange Peel