Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 to LS6 conversion??

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 to LS6 conversion??

So my 2001 WS6 6 spd is creeping up on 117,000 pretty soon, and a little less then a year from now, i'm going to have some money in the bank after boot camp (marines). So i was originally considering procharger, but decided against it as my motor is tired. So now im debating between buying an LS6 crate motor, orrr....buying the LS1 to LS6 conversion package from Summit and rebuilding my current motor (and possibly supercharge later on...but lets not get ahead of myself). Money is not really an issue, but i dont want to go overboard. I also want to keep my car streetable but still have fun at the dragstrip with respectable times and some bragging rights

What do you all honestly think? I all ears to suggestions.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, with that many miles on that motor (block) I would just take the money and buy a LS6 long block and get the 243 LS6 heads with it and the LS6 Block with the bay windows and I am not a fan of superchargers but if you do rebuild you motor and plan on supercharging it then I would buy some forged dished pistons to lower the compression for boost around 9.1 or a little higher and work out the details before you start. I put a stock LS6 in my car and was faced with what you are considering and I just got me a cam and I am very happy with it but would like to have a set of Trick Flow heads and roller rockers. I hope which ever way you go it works out for you. Good Luck
Old 06-30-2008, 06:47 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the insight. I guess i was just kind of intrigued by the conversion kit b/c it made it much simpler. I would also upgrade pushrods and rockers at the time. Trick flow makes a very good head, i met Brian, the founder behind them. Good guy! The supercharger would be a ways down the road after the ls6 project though. Thanks for the insight! keep it coming guys!
Old 07-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Teching In

bump, please guys, need some more advice and ideas here.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:25 PM
12 Second Club

The option of buying an LS6 crate motor is not really the best choice, in my opinion. Reason: You can get a really nice 402 from Scoggins Dickey, Texas Speed, or HK Enterprises. You'll have much more horsepower and torque for about the same price. Take a look at the websites. Also, you can save some money by building a 383 stroker from your block. Lots of options.

Good luck.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Why not spend the money and get a 383 or 402. Actually for what you would pay for Ls6 heads and cam you could get a much better setup for not much more money so you could buy the short block, and go with a nice H/C setup. Or just buy a forged long block (around 6K?) Also I was in the Marines for 5 years, back then I left boot camp with $1200 in the bank, so today plan on a little under 2k, which wont even buy you a stock ls long block new anyways.

Maybe you could have a forged bottom end (read: 383, 402, or 408 stroker
)put in without a new block and save money that way then latter on some N20. Ls1 are very strong motor my engine has 300K on the clock and is running strong with 400RWHP on a cam full exhaust intake and tune.

Or if you don't blow all your cash like I did during boot leave save up some more during MCT (I assume MCT and your SN leads me to believe you are a female and thus wouldn't be going to '03 school)

And lastly don't be one of the "wm's" who gets through life in the corps on her back if you follow my meaning.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

start running....good luck!as far as ur question, wait and see how much money u end up with and get back to us.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:11 PM
Teching In

yea, im waiting until after MCT, so ill have a good amount by then. Im going for motor t-operator. 7 tons FTMW oh and by no means will i be one of the ones piggy backing my way through on my back. I go to a predominantly male automotive school now and im handling myself quite well and professionally here.

and i dunno, all of that sounds like great ideas, but seems to be a lot more work then i was planning on...
Old 07-02-2008, 11:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01TransAmChick
yea, im waiting until after MCT, so ill have a good amount by then. Im going for motor t-operator. 7 tons FTMW oh and by no means will i be one of the ones piggy backing my way through on my back. I go to a predominantly male automotive school now and im handling myself quite well and professionally here.

and i dunno, all of that sounds like great ideas, but seems to be a lot more work then i was planning on...
Let your debit card do your work for you, DIY engine swaps are for people who own a shop or have a garage and second car, take it from me it suck getting your engine apart and back together again and having extra parts wondering wtf.