Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Dimond Vs Weld In SFCs

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 11:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dimond Vs Weld In SFCs

Are the dimond SFCs worth the extra cost? I wasn't even going to bother with choosing since I have a tunnel mounted TA, but I'm going to be swapping that out for a full length arm to gain a little ground clearence. So now I can buy the dimond SFCs, but do they really stiffen the car that much more? I'm planning on getting into some auto x and road racing so my car will be punished pretty bad, and I need some SFCs really soon.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-05-2008, 07:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you are looking into making a handling car, and have stock suspension, SFC's should be way down on the list...
Do things that need to be upgraded first, like shocks, springs, and swaybars with an emphasis on the shocks first.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Yes I realize that, but I already have some new creases from my new motor setup and only have about 1500 miles on it. I'm in need of the connectors. Then I'm getting some stranos and konis a little while after the SFCs, then some strano sways, then some new wheels and tires, and the list could go on and on.

My car handles decent for now, but has alot of room for improvement. I took my brother for a ride yesturday and he couldn't believe how flat the car stayed, but that was taking corners with a suggested speed of 35 at about 65. I could go alot faster, but the roads aren't very smooth and bump steer can be kinda scary at high speeds.

I know the shocks and springs should be first on the list, but SFCs and a stronger rear are up on top right now. It will probably be another long winter here in wisconsin so I will have plenty of time for suspension mods.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
Yes I realize that, but I already have some new creases from my new motor setup and only have about 1500 miles on it. I'm in need of the connectors. Then I'm getting some stranos and konis a little while after the SFCs, then some strano sways, then some new wheels and tires, and the list could go on and on.
Are you talking about rear quarter panel dimples? SFC's don't fix, or prevent those from happening. Read around, there are many who have SFC's and still get dimples, and many who don't have SFC's and also don't have dimples.

I could go alot faster, but the roads aren't very smooth and bump steer can be kinda scary at high speeds.
Sounds like stock shocks to me.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually our 3-Point SFC's will work with all tunnel mount torque arms out there... well at least the ones I am aware of. We actually recommend this type of set-up because the torque arm bolts under the SFC's and allows the stress of the arm to be generated into the SFC's rather then the floor of the vehicle. But if you are removing the torque arm you have now that won't matter to you.

If you have any questions regarding one of our SFC's set-up's please ask and I will be glad to help.

Thank you!
Ryan
Old 07-06-2008, 02:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Actually our 3-Point SFC's will work with all tunnel mount torque arms out there... well at least the ones I am aware of. We actually recommend this type of set-up because the torque arm bolts under the SFC's and allows the stress of the arm to be generated into the SFC's rather then the floor of the vehicle. But if you are removing the torque arm you have now that won't matter to you.

If you have any questions regarding one of our SFC's set-up's please ask and I will be glad to help.

Thank you!
Ryan
Thanks man, I'll probably be ordering a set of weld in SFCs in a week or 2.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Are you talking about rear quarter panel dimples? SFC's don't fix, or prevent those from happening. Read around, there are many who have SFC's and still get dimples, and many who don't have SFC's and also don't have dimples.

Sounds like stock shocks to me.
Yes I realize that they are not a cure all, but they wouldn't sell them if they didn't do anything. These cars are a uni body and have alot of flex. I completely understand what you are saying, and am in no way trying to agrue but I will have some good suspension by next spring.

And yes I have the stock springs and shocks
Old 07-06-2008, 09:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks man, I'll probably be ordering a set of weld in SFCs in a week or 2.
Sounds great, if you have any additional questions in the mean time please feel free to ask.

Thank you!
Ryan
Old 07-06-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes I realize that they are not a cure all, but they wouldn't sell them if they didn't do anything.
Im in no way saying they don't do anything, but rather saying you probably wont see any difference, most don't. While i think they do stiffen the chassis up, its just not enough to notice.
These cars are a uni body and have alot of flex.
Actually they hardly flex at all, many mistake the feel of bad (sloppy)shocks or the way a solid rear end articulates for "flex".
Regardless if you do buy SFC's, buy from UMI, they are a good company.