General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Whistling sound in 01 SS-Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whistling sound in 01 SS-Help Please!

When driving my 01 camaro ss m6 i am getting a whistle like sound whenever i'm moving and in gear. the sound is only apparent when in gear and moving and does not occur when i am idling or have the clutch pushed in. i am clueless as to where it is coming from or why. transmission??

Any advice or suggestions on this issue is definetely appreciated.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

TTT. sort of sounds like a rattle snake. driving to work today it really pissed me off. any ideas guys? i was told it could be the synchros?
Old 07-08-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is the sound coming from under the car? I had something similar but turned out to be the
idler pulleys.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SS#2906
Is the sound coming from under the car? I had something similar but turned out to be the
idler pulleys.
im pretty sure its coming from under the car. sounds like its coming from passenger side
Old 07-09-2008, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SS#2906
idler pulleys.
could you describe your situation with the idler pulleys more?

the sound has been going on and off and is now sometimes apparent when the car is idling.

i cant tell where exactly the sound is coming from...
Old 07-09-2008, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

have your tranny checked! i had a similar sound right before i blew my tranny and it was the syncro's. it took 3rd and 4th with it and i am looking into spending quite a bit to repair it. dont think twice about having it checked it never hurts . better safe then sorry
Old 07-09-2008, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FadedSS
could you describe your situation with the idler pulleys more?

the sound has been going on and off and is now sometimes apparent when the car is idling.

i cant tell where exactly the sound is coming from...
Pop the hood open and rev it up a couple of times to see if it is indeed coming from under the hood. Then what you probably want to do, if it is from under the hood, is spray some wd-40 or other lubricant on the pulleys just to see which one it could be. The sound should go away temporalily, but need to be replaced soon since the lubricant will dry out soon and the sound will be back.

I guess the best way to describe the sound would be a "mini supercharger" it'll whistle constantly while in the clutch is out. But then it gets louder and louder (annoyingly loud) until it starts sounding like a rattle also.

Try this first before taking it to a shop. This is always better than paying a couple of hundred to have the tranny checked. Plus it only takes a few minutes.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks a lot for the inputs guys!

ss#2906- i actually did exactly what you described last night upon getting home from work. i popped the hood, revved the car and tried to locate the source of the noise. it doesnt seem to be coming from the pulleys...although, i will have to try your wd-40 idea and try that again.

torque ss- i am planning on having my car looked at when i get it tuned this friday. after talking to a few people, i am thinking that it may be some type of bearing issue as i am not having a problem shifting in and out of gears and am slowly ruling out the synchro's being the cause...

nonetheless, thanks a lot for your input guys. i will post up as soon as i get some answers and really start troubleshooting this issue