Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about removing baffles in WS6 hood with K&N FIPK

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about removing baffles in WS6 hood with K&N FIPK

I am curious as to how much water/dirt will come in through the nostrils if I remove the baffles in the hood. Im more concerned with water, like if I get stuck driving on a rainy day, will there be significant amounts of water coming through the nostrils? I only ask this because I have a K&N FIPK. Of course, if I had a lid I wouldnt worry about it. I am worried that the filter would get soaked from the rain coming through the nostrils with the baffles removed. Anyone have any experience with this? I would mostly like to hear from owners with the WS6 hood(with baffles removed) and K&N FIPK. And those who only have the WS6 hood with baffles removed, do you notice a lot of water coming through when it rains?
Old 07-16-2008, 11:00 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You do not need to remove the baffles if you plan on driving in the rain or even with a chance of rain. Those baffles are there to block water from going into the air box, without them you have no protection from getting your filter(s) wet.

Unless the car sits in the garage on rainy days, I would leave your baffles in the hood.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

Can air even get into the engine compartment with the baffles in? Im just wondering how the K&N FIPK is supposed to get cool air?
Old 07-16-2008, 12:36 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea it gets in. Not nearly as much as with the baffles removed, but it does pull air in.

I have a customer right now that has the same setup as you. WS6 hood, all baffles in place, and a Volant intake (similar to K&N). His car runs fine and makes great power. Also runs real well at the track.

If the car is a daily driver you need to leave the baffles in. Yes it will make more power without them, but if you suck water into the intake and hydralock the motor you won't be making any power
Old 07-16-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

Gotcha...doesnt sound like a worthy gain. Thanks man
Old 07-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

I have the Volant intake and removed the baffles. I have had the car like this for almost 2 years and have not had any problems with hydralocking or water being sucked into my intake. The Volant's design does not allow for water, rocks or debris to pass into the engine bay beyond the airbox (the soft rubber lining rests against the underhood). I have driven in mad rain in an hour long commute, not a monsoon, but mass rain with this car and have only noticed dried water spots on the interior airbox walls afterward with my air filters dry. Think about it.... your engine produces immense heat while running- any water that may make it in would steam away. Unless you are submerging your car in water then you should have no problem (at this point though, you would have far more worries than wet filters).
Old 07-16-2008, 10:07 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Plust the K&N filters are oiled. They would have to be inundated with water to do allow water to get past them into your motor. Not enough water will get through the scoops into the intake for that to happen unless you drive it into a lake.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

Very good point. Hmm....now Im rethinking doing it