Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

slp bilsteins+what springs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default slp bilsteins+what springs?

i have a set of slp bilsteins/eibachs. supposed to drop the car about 3/4 of an inch, but i'd really like to drop the car a little more than that, particularly in the front. can i do the heater hose in the back and run pro kit springs in the front? is it safe to used the pro kit with these shocks or will it blow them prematurely?
Old 07-21-2008, 01:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Heater hose in the back and -1" Hotchkiss in the
front is a pretty good looking stance on mine. The
Pro-Kit might be a bit much. Sig pic is with the
Hotchkiss -1" rear springs on there, a bit too low in
the back for my liking. It's better now.

If I had it to do over I'd rather have the 3/4" drop.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

yeah i see what you're saying. i like the height of even stock springs with the heater hose in the back but a 3/4" drop in the front just isn't enough to match. anyone have any suggestions?
Old 07-21-2008, 02:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put the Eibach ProKit in my '96 Z-28 over the winter of 95-96. At the time, I couldn't see throwing away shocks with 1500 miles on them, so I kept the OE DeCarbon shocks. Not good.....

About 4 years later, after hearing about how crappy the DeCarbons were, some money fell in my lap, and I got the SLP Bilsteins. They've been in the car a little over 7 years, and I've been satisfied with them.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

yeah right now i'm leaning towards the prokit i just don't want it to be too much of a drop for the shocks and blow them. are suspension techniques 1.3" springs crap? anyone have any pictures?
Old 07-22-2008, 12:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

SLP Bilstein's are meant to be with SLP Eibach's. Nothing lower, nothing stiffer. Even that said the SLP Bilstein's aren't super crisp damping wise, I personally don't find them to have enough juice to satisfy me on "lesser" springs like stock.

It's not recommended that you try and pile on more spring rate and lesser travel to a shock not really meant or intended for that use. No different than an engine.. the parts are to work together, you can put some things that are similar together, and the result might not be terrible, but a bigger cam and stock valve springs and heads isn't helping like it should.

Shocks are spring dampers. That right there should tell you their relationship.

If you don't like the height you can change it. You can get other springs, but you can't be suprised if you break or wear out a shock sooner (not that you'd know sooner from later, broken is broken) when you ask more of the damper than it's able to give.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-25-2008, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have the slp blisteins shocks and i will order strano lowering springs soon
Old 10-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Teching In

I know I'm bumping an old thread but thought this would be applicable: would the SLP Bilstein shocks be a good match for stock springs? Pros and cons of this setup?
Thanks
Old 10-01-2008, 12:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I sell SLP parts. That said, I don't think the shocks are all that great.

In fact I also sell Bilstein HD's, and they've had some issues too. The fronts are now worked out, but I still don't like the rear valving being used. So I put the front together with an older valving they didn't mess up, and for $369.50 for the set of 4. Works with stock springs.

SLP's were "valved" to work with SLP springs. They aren't as stiff or low as lowering springs from most others and lack damping for aftermarket springs. But that little fact is often ignored because the price is nice and most assume a lowering spring is a lowering spring.

Turn that around. SLP's meant to work with Level 1 springs sometimes are a little more than you need for stock springs in front, and frankly no different than normal on the rear shocks (and not exactly right). Can they work with stock springs? Yes. Do they work right, or do you get a lot better shock than you do with HD's they way I sell them? No.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!