LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

3k lbs. Street car. How would you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3k lbs. Street car. How would you do it?

I'm wondering how low you can get in weight in a DD street car without noticing it and with bolt offs only. No $$$ replacement parts, no drilling. Just bolt off, and I want it almost unnoticed. Is it possible to do any significant weight loss this way? Clearly I know 3000 is impossible this way, but what is?
Old 07-25-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

take your bumpers off and take all the strya foam out then put the plactics back on

remove your spair tire

take the reat seats and seat beld mechinism out

that should drop you about 200 pounds
Old 07-25-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

that's 200?! Sounds like 50 to me. Is the styrofoam that heavy!?!? How?

Won't that make my bumpers sag? I DO NOT want that.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Launching!

you could lose close about 100lbs through lightweight suspension (k-member and a-arms), removal of carpet padding and sound deadeners. bumper supports front and rear, but wouldn't on a DD, although they only work in a collision. stick with large diameter single exhaust and single outlet instead of dual tips and/or TD's. there aren't too many options if adhering to your criteria. the biggest weight loisses are made by ditching creature comforts like A/C, heat, interior trim, ABS, airbags and crash sensors, cruise control components, hood and hatch latch assemblies, lexan, and the useless garbage behind the dash once all that is out. switching to manual windows only saves a couple pounds, not worth it.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are alot of ways to do it, just start looking at the car and make a check list of what you think you do not need. And start from there, and rember dont cut things you might want to put back in one day. And never throw anything out, you could give it to the new owner if you sell the thing....
Old 07-25-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

with your criteria I wouldn't expect to lose much, especially since it seems you do not want to buy lightweight parts.

your choices are limited to:
remove spare and jack

if you remove the rear seats/seat belts, you'll notice it. bumper supports may/may not make the bumper sag. its car dependent. you could run dumps under the car. I drove my car around with the stock manifolds/ypipe/cat dumped at the cat and it actually sounded really good. you better like smelling exhaust in the interior like that though lol.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/846228-weight-reduction-list-fully-updated.html
check that list out.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

remove rear seats, move battery to back (won't lighten it but will make for better weight distribution), lightweight wheels, 5 lbs a wheels is similar to taking 100 lbs of non roational mass off, rear speakers since they are acoustically worthless, there is a big support bar in the door but thats something i wouldn't feel safe doing, You can do the bumper supports but fender benders will be much more costly, take AC off, !EGR, !AIR, !EVAP, !ABS. Overall, probably about 150 lbs total, then you gotta look into removing the heat and actually buying parts
Old 07-25-2008, 03:42 PM
TECH Regular

Buy a Fox body Mustang.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:34 PM
Launching!

if you take your carpet out it will get kinda hot in the pass campartment.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:00 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It depends on a lot on what you start with and what you want to live with. A TA is hard starting point, because they are loaded down with a ton of options. You start pulling tons of stuff out the car starts looking like a theft recovery. If I wouldnt a super ligh LT1 I would start with a base model hard top Z28 or Formula with zero power options.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:04 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LSWHO
Clearly I know 3000 is impossible this way, but what is?
Uh... Wrong. If you are talking strictly about the car mine will weigh around 3050 lbs with two leather seats, 10 point cage, turbo setup, all interior panels, AC, and carpet. Then add 150 lbs for me. My only weight reducing item I will be buying is a tubular K member so I can run my down pipe a certain way for ground clearance purposes. Once I get some money to spend on items the car will be around 2950 raceweight with all of those things.

The weight reduction sticky: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846228 is a great place to look to find out what each item weighs.

I've used that along with the search feature on this site to find a ton of different things to do to my car. So far I've taken out 297.29095 lbs and counting in random crap from my car. Around 35 lbs of that involves cutting. You could easily offset that if you had money to spend on other light weight components. My thread is a little long, but if you look through it I've documented everything I've done to the car.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/859437-my-new-1993-z28-project.html

EDIT:
Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
It depends on a lot on what you start with and what you want to live with. A TA is hard starting point, because they are loaded down with a ton of options. You start pulling tons of stuff out the car starts looking like a theft recovery. If I wouldnt a super ligh LT1 I would start with a base model hard top Z28 or Formula with zero power options.
That's not really accurate. The more options you have the more things you can take out. Some of the options actually weigh less than their manual counter parts. The power windows are lighter than manual ones.

The theft recovery thing is completely innacurate. If it looks like a theft recovery that's because either the person didn't car what the car looks like or they have very little talent.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I deleted the A/C compressor and all the other components, EGR and AIR and that shaved off 37lbs. Just to give you an idea of what its worth weight wise but I would say if your undecided on deleting the A/C it wouldn't be worth taking out because its not a huge weight reduction. I believe the passenger seat and rear set would get you another 50 or so but then you only have one seat in the car. The sway bar is a few pounds but I wouldnt want to drive a car around anywhere but the track without the front sway bar in. Same thing for the rear tire/jack thats a good 40 but then if you had a flat tire then you have an issue. Weight reduction seems to be pretty hard without spending alot of money or taking so much off to hinder the comfortability/safeness of the car. I would do some little things tho because hey it all helps.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fiberglass hood, fiberglass Doors with Posts that is for "Lexan Use only", don't know what that means but they are only 12 lbs each! They come with frames on the doors though. They've got them at VFN fiberglass.

and btw, whoever said remove the styrofoam from the bumpers to lose weight, slap yourselves in the head.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dropped alot of weight but removing my abs brake system for a simple line lock. You can also run a lightweight dry cell battery but it will die on you really easy. I drained and removed my windshield washer fluid tank. If my windshield is dirty than so is the rest of my car so I should probably wash it.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:07 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6
Fiberglass hood, fiberglass Doors with Posts that is for "Lexan Use only", don't know what that means but they are only 12 lbs each! They come with frames on the doors though. They've got them at VFN fiberglass.
Those doors only use lexan (plastic) windows. They don't roll down and you have to pin them in place.

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6
and btw, whoever said remove the styrofoam from the bumpers to lose weight, slap yourselves in the head.
You might want to slap all of these 174 people:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/672675-how-many-have-done-front-bumper-delete.html
Old 07-26-2008, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

A DD is stupid to remove any weight.......SAFETY 1ST. You wanta race car.....go buy one.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
You might want to slap all of these 174 people:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672675
There isn't one mention of the styrofoam in that thread. People here mentioned the styrofoam specifically, which weighs probably less than 1 pound. If they had said bumper support I wouldn't have said anything.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
A DD is stupid to remove any weight.......SAFETY 1ST. You wanta race car.....go buy one.
A back seat doesn't do anything for safety. Neither do a lot of things.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

fiberglass hood is a great way to shave off pounds. stock steel hood is something like 50 pounds, I believe my VFN is either 13 or 18 pounds. i've also removed the spare tire and jack and my AIR system. but them I added two amps and two 10" subs in a box to my trunk... so really i didn't lose any weight i don't think.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I took out the Back Seats and Seat Belts, cut all the steel Brackets out for them, took out the Spare Trie (still got the Jack in it to line up the plastic..lol). I took out the complete AC System, and switching to a T56 which is supposed to be a little lighter.

I just put in a Moser 9" so I gained some of it back..

Quick Reply: 3k lbs. Street car. How would you do it?