Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MTI 347, opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MTI 347, opinions wanted

hey guys, ive been having some motor problems so i decided to go ahead and get it rebuilt, so im goin with MTI
dont have much $$$, so im going with just a built 347
any of you guys that have one or know someone with one have any opionions to share about it?

while the motors there, im gonna go ahead and get my LS1 heads worked (stage2)
then i'll have em dyno-tune it once i have it put back together
only thing i dont know about yet is the cam im gonna get........any of ya wanna suggest a good cam for this motor that you have experience with?
i dont drive it that much, so it doesnt have to be too "streetable"

thanks in advance!
-jason
Old 08-26-2003, 09:52 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: MTI 347, opinions wanted

I just picked up mine on Friday. 348ci LS6 with stage 2 LS6 heads. But, mine was built with a lower compression ratio (9:1) since I am adding a supercharger to it.

If you want the best performance combination, just tell MTI your personal preferences and drivability concerns and they will tailor the complete package for you. Since it isn't your daily driver and you have an M6, I'd go with the X1 cam.

Tony
Old 08-26-2003, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

go with MMT
Old 08-27-2003, 12:14 AM
TECH Addict

MTI stage 2 heads and G5x2 cam. If I went with a MTI cam it would be a X1. A buddy of mine puts down the same power with his MTI H/C car as I do and he has a smaller cam
Old 08-27-2003, 12:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, I would go with some 11:1 compression heads and a nasty cam, g5x2, gets some nice valve reliefs in the pistons and call it a day....
Old 08-27-2003, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You said you are on a budget- I would look elsewhere for alternatives to MTI. You can get a very solid bottom end for much less money than MTI. Check with Joe Prince or some of the other vendors on this site.

Was that acceptible Tony?
Old 08-27-2003, 11:00 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Yep, that is acceptable, but when are you going to stop acting like a smartass?

Old 08-27-2003, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep, that is acceptable, but when are you going to stop acting like a smartass?

I was not being a smart ***. Just testing the water to see what is acceptible to you and mmiller in order to avoid further threats of legal action.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:26 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

bodhi, you are being a smartass. Lets put it this way, if you ever want to reply, but have doubts about if it is questionable or not, chances are you should just keep it to yourself (in your case). You could have asked if your reply was okay via email, instead you chose to be a smartass and reference me in your reply. Please give it a rest from here out, why must you be so difficult?
Old 08-27-2003, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

bodhi, you are being a smartass. Lets put it this way, if you ever want to reply, but have doubts about if it is questionable or not, chances are you should just keep it to yourself (in your case). You could have asked if your reply was okay via email, instead you chose to be a smartass and reference me in your reply. Please give it a rest from here out, why must you be so difficult?
Old 08-27-2003, 01:10 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

MTI gives a good warranty. About the biggest cam they will do in a 346 is an X1, so an LGM cam is not something I think they would do. MTI is a bit on the conservative side, so their stuff is safe. I don't know how much they are charging for a built motor, but they or several of the other shops which have a good rep should be able to take care of you. Alos, just wanted to make sure this was MTI in Houston, and not MTI in Ga. since you are in Al.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, JPR builds great motors too. I have a built 348 forged bottom end, only thing stock is the rods ( I went ARP bolts throughout ).
Old 08-27-2003, 03:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't want to high-jack your thread...
348ci LS6 with stage 2 LS6 heads. But, mine was built with a lower compression ratio (9:1) since I am adding a supercharger to it.
If you were going lower compression, why didn't you use 6.0 heads...I hear that they flow just as well as LS6 heads? Did MTI do anything special to the heads since you're going FI (different valve seats for higher intake temp, etc.)? Feel free to PM so as not to bog down this thread. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:05 PM
TECH Addict

. . . MTI 348ci LS6 with stage 2 LS6 heads. But, mine was built with a lower compression ratio (9:1) since I am adding a supercharger to it.

Tony
Hate to be the second bogger but I had to do it . . . that is the EXACT same motor I'm goin' with this winter!!!

Right down to the compression
Old 08-28-2003, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed an MTI motor myself and Im not sure who would have done it A) Cheaper and B) with a warrantee

simple... I did what was cheapest for me in the long run and I think you have a great combination in mind.

Chris
Old 08-28-2003, 03:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

MTI gives a good warranty. About the biggest cam they will do in a 346 is an X1, so an LGM cam is not something I think they would do. MTI is a bit on the conservative side, so their stuff is safe. I don't know how much they are charging for a built motor, but they or several of the other shops which have a good rep should be able to take care of you. Alos, just wanted to make sure this was MTI in Houston, and not MTI in Ga. since you are in Al.
Precisely. MTI gives a warranty at a cost. You get 2 yr warranty and pay anywhere from 30%-60% more for the same thing elsewhere. You have to pay for them to install the motor in order to get teh warranty. Take that money- stick it in the bank and save for upgrades- or possible repairs. I might mention that there ARE other vendors who will stand behind their work and not charge the high prices.
MTI will not put aggressive combos together for this simple reason. They want something they can insure. They minimize the risk this way. You pay for it.
Chances are heavily in your favor that you can have a "mild" motor built the same as MTI, pay much less for it and have it run without err. Not to mention- if you get a reputable vendor, they will take care of any malfunctions that are of their fault. Note: MTI will not cover nitrous or blower motors- this all goes back to my point. MTI is minimizing the risk. What do you really think the chances are of a "mild" properly assembled motor coming apart without n2o or FI? Is that worth the extra coin?

In addition, MTI has never really been a forerunner of performance like LG, Thunder or More. It seems that they wait to see what works, play off of others R&D, slap a warranty on it and make big coin. I remember several calls to MTI back 2 years ago. They told me repeatedly that a 224 cam was too much for street use. Then, about 18 months later- BOOM! the C series cms hit the list of "new" MTI cams. Tehy waited until it performed, was proven and reliable before they added it to the list. They also told me that they would not put a 4.30 in a 12 bolt, because it would not hold. Tell that to Jason @ thunder- he was running 10.50's with 12 bolt and 4.56's.
Lou G has the skills and the put the time in at the track to properly develop his products. They are top of the line. This should command top dollar. There is a reason for the price tag.
More Perf. can build a 725 horse, $2500 sheetmetal intake, FAST ECU, $2700 custom race header motor for $25k (according to GMHTP). (maybe the Colonel should have called upon More perf.)Katech builds a C5R motor for $27k. MTI makes a 427 that puts out 550flywheel hp give or take with ls6 intake, and clutch, catback, and pulley- for $22k. IF you spray it or FI it, you lose the warranty.
IMHO you are paying for a name not quality or customer service. A name. When you open a magazine, waht do you see? MTI when go to a LS1 website, what do you see? MTI. You are paying for their advertising. The customer service doesn't exist- they have very intelligently eliminated it by warrantying docile engines and insured it by inflating the price to cover a mishap. It is damage control similar to an insurance company. You charge a high premium, select your clients based on probability of a claim, then in the event of a "loss" increase the premium. It's a no lose situation- except for your pocketbook.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are in B'ham AL I would give Futral a call. Go with the shop that you trust and is closest. JHelms is in B'ham or Columbus, GA and has a FMS built 347. You may want to talk with him.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:16 AM
LEO
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bodhi, how's your friend TJ doing with his hydro-locked motor? Sometimes it's worth paying extra for piece of mind. You are definitely exaggerating the cost differnces between MTI's prices and other vendors. MTI has had many records, done plenty of R&D to earn their reputation and has a huge following of satisfied customers.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Bodhi, how's your friend TJ doing with his hydro-locked motor? Sometimes it's worth paying extra for piece of mind. You are definitely exaggerating the cost differnces between MTI's prices and other vendors. MTI has had many records and done plenty of R&D to earn their reputation.
Funny how things get passed around and the story changes.
Last I heard TJ's motor wasn't hydrolocked. The heads he purchased (that I was strongly against) were ported by one of Judson's students. The guy was a fast talker and TJ didn't want to spend a bunch of money.
The head was cut too deep on the bottom of the port and also around the spark plug hole. This was pointed out PRIOR to installation, but TJ went ahead with it anyway. WEll, the car was running pig rich and then, during dyno tuning, water started coming out of the tailpipe. The head cracked at a port. TJ is good as gold and I love him to death, but he is hard headed. He's always been into bikes and after he sold his Turbo 'Busa (that put down 320 to the rear wheel ) he bought this vette. Stafford and I are getting him straight though. Had he listened to me and called Jay or Brian- I am positive this would not be an issue.
The head is being welded up as we speak and I will make sure it gets in the proper hands for porting- assuming they didn't hack it up too badly.
I'm going to recommend he put his stock heads back on for now, and then ship the 6L heads off to Jay.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bohdi.... Im baffled here. How does MTI's 387 or 427 or whatever cost 30-60% more than anyone elses? huh? What HAVE you been drinking?

The 427 package from MTI is where you drive your car to MTI in stock form (no headers, no strong clutch, no LS6 intake, etcetc.) and you drive home later with a warranteed 427. How does ANYONE on this site do that for 30-60% less and achieve a decent product? There are other good vendors on this board, absilutely.... but about this price thing, I really think you are talking right out your @ss. :-/

chris