LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 turns over, but doesn't sound like it's cranking

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 turns over, but doesn't sound like it's cranking

Just finishing up the rebuild on my LT1 (the one in my sig). When I turn the key the engine is turning over because I can see the flywheel turning, as well as the alternator. It sounds wierd though, sounds like just the starter turning and I don't hear that typical "cranking over" sound. Every few revolutions I'll get a small flame out of one of the headers (no exhaust on it), but that's it. I can smell fuel as well. Also, when I look @ the starter from underneath, the gear on the starter stays engaged with the flywheel even when it's not turning over....shouldn't it disengage and pull back off of the flywheel?

-Could it be turning over backwards? I wouldn't think so??? The flywheel/TC are turning clockwise (standing @ rear of car looking forward) Is that right?

Your help is appreciated guys.....I really don't know where to start here!
Old 07-29-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like the timing is off, you need ignition/fuel too cause anykind of flame out of the pipe, so you know your getting spark & fuel, make sure the valves are set right & not too tight, i'll bet its timing, most likely way off, also did you make sure the timing chain is on right? Notice i said a timing problem, it could be valve timing or ignition timing.

As for the starter staying in the flywheel with the key "ON", have you turned the key "OFF" & checked it? If i'm not mistaken, it should do this, but as you know, thats the LEAST of your worries right now .
Old 07-29-2008, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

The timing should be okay...should be haha. The thing that scares me is the sound. It basically sounds like just the starter turning over....it is turning the motor over but it just doesn't sound like the typical "cranking" sound.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

my 383 build sounded like the exact same thing your talking about

just a humming sound from the starter and it all turns as it should.

and i couldnt hear the compression stroke.

ended up just being i had tightend my rockers too tight which would keep the valves open when they should be closed for the compression.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS14PSI
The timing should be okay...should be haha. The thing that scares me is the sound. It basically sounds like just the starter turning over....it is turning the motor over but it just doesn't sound like the typical "cranking" sound.
I'm sure the internals are moveing if its spitting a flame out the header, best get to checking things out, you'll find its a valve/piston or ignition timing issue in the end. I did see you said the flywheel & TC or turning, you can bet the internals are too. The main reason your not getting that felling that you normally do is, your not hitting on compression stroke when it fires & the valves are open at the wrong times, either in relation with the pistons (timing chain allign. issue) or its not firing when it needs too (ignition timing), so its firing on the exaust stroke, soon enough, it may pop back through the intake too, if any of this is making sense lol. Once everything is in time, it'll have that resistence while cranking that your used too.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joshprescotttttt5

ended up just being i had tightend my rockers too tight which would keep the valves open when they should be closed for the compression.
Agreed, thats why i told him to double check this too
Old 07-29-2008, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by joshprescotttttt5

Cool....I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see if it works....Thanks!
Old 07-29-2008, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LM97Z
I'm sure the internals are moveing if its spitting a flame out the header, best get to checking things out, you'll find its a valve/piston or ignition timing issue in the end. I did see you said the flywheel & TC or turning, you can bet the internals are too. The main reason your not getting that felling that you normally do is, your not hitting on compression stroke when it fires & the valves are open at the wrong times, either in relation with the pistons (timing chain allign. issue) or its not firing when it needs too (ignition timing), so its firing on the exaust stroke, soon enough, it may pop back through the intake too, if any of this is making sense lol. Once everything is in time, it'll have that resistence while cranking that your used too.
LOL I know that was a mouthful but yes.....it does make sense! Thanks

Quick Reply: LT1 turns over, but doesn't sound like it's cranking