PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Predator Custom tuning???Where to start??

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 09:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Predator Custom tuning???Where to start??

I have a Predator programmer and need some help with where to start , for a custom program for my mods. How is this done and where do i go to get it done? TIA

Dave
Old 08-26-2003, 09:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Predator Custom tuning???Where to start??

I am interested in this also,I bought mine from Tbyrne on a special before I heard how much James at RWTD has helped his customers and was wondering who to contact for the best custom tune?
Old 08-26-2003, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go to the predator site and u can email one of their tech guys, thats where i get all my tune from...ill post on what to look at in a sec
Old 08-26-2003, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

with the lid and maf your bound to run lean. aftermarket maf sensors really screw with the tune. i had an SLP and got rid of it fast.

ok here is what to look for. when your at a cruise look at the long term fuel trims, both of them. they should be really close to the same if not exactly the same. you want these to be -2 to 0. more negative the richer you are the more positive the more lean. with headers and the maf sensor it might have made it equal out but im not sure. ride down the road and give it about 10% throttle and look at the long terms. just hold it at partial throttle but u wanna do this after the car has been running for over 10 min.

now u need someone else with you. do a few wide open throttle runs. have him or her look at the first and third o2 sensor numbers they should be 880-920 now this isnt too accurate your gonna need a wideband to get it right but this helps for sure. also look for any knock retard, u should have none what so ever. do this a few times also and see what is the number you see the most...and run the gears out too. listen for any pinging from the motor also.

at WOT u can also look at the timing. i am pretty sure it should be about 30 deg or so. but i really dont know about that. keep an eye on the coolant temp your gonna want to adjust the fans to keep the temp near 180 with that tstat u have. if u havent already dont that. hope this answers your questions. if u have any more pm me

like i said go to the predator site and go to support they should give u a techs email if not i have one i can give u. tell him these numbers and you can link the predator to the pc and d/l it. u will need a power cord, serial cable and the predator program. i have the program i can send you and the cord and power u can pick up at radio shack
Old 08-27-2003, 01:35 PM
Restricted User

contact james via: sales@runninwiththedevil.com

he is a vendor and deals with getting the tunes done, doesnt actually do them, he takes all the info and coordinates with a tuner, then emails it back to you.

Right now Predator is almost finished with tuning issues to deal with the P0300 misfire code from doing a cam. Basically adjusting values in low and mid rpm by cyl tables etc...much the same as LS1Edit does.

When you email james, include ALL your mods, and any performance data you can, like what the LTFT's are at cruise, and PT, then at WOT. Also what the B1 & B2 S1 O2's are reading at WOT. If you have access to a wideband send those measures as well and if you auto tap/efilive etc...create a file and let him know you have one to send him.. Just liek with a custom tuner, the more details you give them the closer your tune will be.
Good-luck.

Charlie.
Old 08-27-2003, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just my .02, I did not purchase my Predator through james so I have been going through DiabloSport directly. This is just how I do things, I have chatted with James and he is top knotch IMO. DiabloSport is very prompt and quite helpful with the custom tunes. My concern is that if too many people that have not purchased through him keep going to him it may effect the qaulity of service to his paying customers. I would hate to see negative comments about him if he is taking care of soemone who just purchased a new Predator from him and he did not promptly do a custom tune for a person who purchased through another vendor. Again this is just my opinion(which sometimes is out in left field).
Old 08-27-2003, 03:23 PM
Restricted User

No, I agree with you and its not that left field. I mention james, and he knows that i do, because if he feels too busy he will always let the customer know and send him in the next best direction. I believe Jose is the actual tuner. As for being backed up....well I have waited a few weeks for one tune before...yeah i was a little irritated, but after getting it, it was nearly deadon for what i had asked for. Now if I stop modding, i wont have to wait as long! I am currently waiting on a new tune for 30# injectors, but since they are just finishing up the flase misfire tuning for cammed cars, i am waiting to piece it all together at once...Wait a minute, in about two months i will be adding ported heads, and few other items so yeah I will still wait. But I would rather wait (as long as the car is drivable safely) and have a near dead on tune, then to get it done and be off everywhere.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:25 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys,this info really shreads some light on this for me.
Any idea of average cost of this?
Dave
Old 09-02-2003, 01:18 PM
Restricted User

Predator $300, and tuning, weell if you go to the right vendor (s) the tunes are free!
Old 09-02-2003, 05:24 PM
11 Second Club

i have the Predator already,but did not think the tunes would come that cheap . I want to get this thing tuned due to running very rich even after pulling max fuel at WOT with the Predator. Headers really richened this thing up.

Dave
Old 09-02-2003, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

try to keep the stock tune in there, read the numbers from that, upload taht to the predator and have them adjust off that. then put that tune in, and you will be able to tell a HUGE difference with a custom tune
Old 09-03-2003, 01:38 AM
Restricted User

As WS6 said, get your readings from the stock tune, send in as much availble info as possible, this will help with your tune. Do a search for predator in this section, i wrote a pretty healthy amount of info in there.

Charlie.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:41 AM
Restricted User

https://ls1tech.com/threads/showflat...rue#Post654510