Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

any interest in a coil relocation kit? i'm considering being a sponsor

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default any interest in a coil relocation kit? i'm considering being a sponsor

i made my own coil relocation brackets for my car. I've been emailed and PM'd a lot about them and i finally decided i might make and sell them on here. i can't do that without becoming a sponsor first. i haven't contacted any admins or mods yet. i just wanted to post up and see if there were enough real interest to justify the sponsorship fees and my time spent making them.

I've made two different styles, one from aluminum angle, and another from steel flat bar. i personally like the flat bar better, but i know some people have shown favoritism toward the aluminum angle because it provides a small, flat surface for some vinyl decals or engraving or whatever.

this is strictly an appearance mod, no performance is lost or gained. it just relocated your ignition coils to underneath the wiper cowl to make your LSx look more like an engine than a robot's bowels. i can also make up some that you could mount on your fenders too, but that would take some extra R&D you need custom plug wires to make them work, i'll discuss that below.

i don't have many pictures, but i think i have enough to give you an idea. my car is totally torn apart right now, so i have no current pictures, and the ones i DO have are old and of a poor quality...

here's what my current design looks like, i prefer it over the aluminum because with the aluminum i wanted polished, and the extruded aluminum doesn't look the way i want when polished, so i went with color-matched and decided to make them a little smaller too. the only issue i have now is I'm not 100% satisfied with where i ended up mounting them, i think they are just a little too far forward FOR MY TASTE. they look fine, i just want them totally hidden, which isn't possible.

i haven't figured up what they would cost me exactly, but you could bet it would be between . that's just a rough guess for now. another issue you need to consider before buying is this: you can't reuse your stock plug wires. you must buy a MSD universal kit and custom make your own plug wire. these wire kits are ~$100 from Jegs if i remember. i COULD get the wires for you and cut them myself, but obviously that would take an extra for the wires and some extra for my time, because it is a time consuming process...especially when I'm working 6-7 days a week and working on my car too.

SO...if there's any interest, post up and let me know. DO NOT PM ME. I WILL NOT MAKE A SET FOR SOMEONE AND SELL IT "UNDER THE TABLE" WITHOUT BEING A SPONSOR. if i do one, I'll have to do another, and another, and another, and so on and so forth. eventually it would lead to bad things I'm sure. i don't want to just make 9 or 10 kits and be done, there has to be a genuinely large amount of interest for me to take the next step.

Last edited by LawmanSS; 08-11-2008 at 12:24 PM. Reason: No pricing information allowed.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

price seems good, what do competitor kits sell for?
Old 08-10-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Regular

Any mock up pics of them off the car ??
Old 08-10-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

interested
Old 08-10-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think 99blancoss sells them for about the same prrice, not too sure
Old 08-11-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

i'm not looking to compete or put anyone out of business...i just want to see if there's enough interest for me to take the time to calculate ACTUAL cost of the parts and see what sponsorship fees would be and all that jazz. i haven't even looked to see what others sell for. i could make mounts for them just about anywhere in the engine bay if someone has an idea of where they want them, but under the wiper cowl is pretty much the best place.

Originally Posted by Vndcatr
Any mock up pics of them off the car ??
.....i posted several pics in the first post....????
Old 08-11-2008, 04:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

intrest here......
Old 08-12-2008, 03:25 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You would need to make $275 a month profit to cover sponsorship fees... Also you must commit to three months or more. That's what I have been told so far....
Old 08-12-2008, 04:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
You would need to make $275 a month profit to cover sponsorship fees... Also you must commit to three months or more. That's what I have been told so far....
Bitter? LOL! just kidding man.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
i'm not looking to compete or put anyone out of business...i just want to see if there's enough interest for me to take the time to calculate ACTUAL cost of the parts and see what sponsorship fees would be and all that jazz. i haven't even looked to see what others sell for. i could make mounts for them just about anywhere in the engine bay if someone has an idea of where they want them, but under the wiper cowl is pretty much the best place.
2000 ss,
you know im in!

one question: iv seen on other products that make you have to remove the wiper assembly. with the model you made, it fit under the wiper cowl with no interference or removing the wipers?
Old 08-12-2008, 02:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ZMONSTER!
Bitter? LOL! just kidding man.
No, it was just hard to get ahold of anyone at first, just helping a member out...

Also, there is no real wiggle room in that... If you are serious, contact Jason, he's a great guy to deal with:

Jason.Boland@internetbrands.com

You are signing up for a year, paying for three months in advance but can cancel with no consequences after the first three months...
Old 08-12-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by F8L_LS1
2000 ss,
you know im in!

one question: iv seen on other products that make you have to remove the wiper assembly. with the model you made, it fit under the wiper cowl with no interference or removing the wipers?
you will have to remove the wiper cowl, there's no way around that unless you mount the coils somewhere else, or if i can engineer some other mounting method.

No, it was just hard to get ahold of anyone at first, just helping a member out...

Also, there is no real wiggle room in that... If you are serious, contact Jason, he's a great guy to deal with:

Jason.Boland@internetbrands.com

You are signing up for a year, paying for three months in advance but can cancel with no consequences after the first three months...
thanks man, much appreciated!
Old 09-26-2008, 12:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Turn them sideways so they face forward, you can push them all the way back under the cowl. Then use self tapping screws so you dont have to remove the wiper cowl.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

i am in the market for a set
Old 10-31-2008, 07:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

Why not wholesale them to 6Litereater?
Old 10-31-2008, 09:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wannafbody
Why not wholesale them to 6Litereater?
We chatted about it. He has more time/money into them than you can buy them from other sponsors for AND his mount in such a way that without the engine out of the car they are pretty near impossible to mount...
Old 11-01-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

We chatted about it. He has more time/money into them than you can buy them from other sponsors for AND his mount in such a way that without the engine out of the car they are pretty near impossible to mount...
exactly. you guys can go to a hardware store and make these with what, to me, are basic tools. i'd love to whip out 2 or 3 sets a night and sell them for twice what i have in them, but i would literally be raping anyone who bought them. it just isn't worth it.

one of these days i'll do a write up on how i made mine, but there's no need if you have any deductive reasoning skills. all i used for "new" style was 1/8x1/4" steel flat bar from a local Ace hardware store, Lowe's and Home Depot have them too. i lined up 4 coils in a row, with some 1/4x20 all-thread rod in their mounting holes to keep them straigt and evenly spaced. then i measured the distance from the outside of the first to the outside of the last coil. i cut the steel bar so i could bend the ends down, have that measurement i took from the inside of one end to the other, and have enough length on the ends that i could bolt on another piece to run the all-thread rods through. look at the last couple pictures i posted and it will make sense.

once the brackets are made, you have to mount them, which requires a 90* drill attachment OR your own creative engineering. this is where the project becomes more trouble than it's worth UNLESS you have the heads off the motor, then it's easy. removing the intake helps, if that's all you can do, but even then it isn't a in-and-out job. some people mount the coil brackets to another piece of flat bar and sandwich underneath the wiper cowl...not my style.

only tools i used, that i can remember, are:

a propane torch - to heat the bar so i could bend it by hand in a vise
a small tap - 1/4 x 20 IIRC to tap holes to assemble the brackets
cordless drill - for drilling
misc screwdrivers - for screwing
paint - for painting...

all you have to do is figure out how you want to build/mount them, then go to a hardware store and buy what you need, not much to it. you can use some toilet supply line to cut into spacers, so the coils are evenly spaced on their brackets.

like i said, i'm not going to fool with making these, at least not in mass quantities. if you guys have any questions about making them or mounting them or whatever, feel free to post up in here. i'll answer anything i can and try to get you going in the right direction. little projects like these are FAR more rewarding when you do it yourself then buy something someone else did anyway. and if you don't like how it turned out, you can change it, easily, like i did
Old 11-02-2008, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

$20 worth of material purchased at home depot and some time is what I have invested in mine...moroso and thunder racing offer kits for those who do not have the time, tools, or skill to fabricate their own...they are not a big deal..but keep in mind that you will need to do something about those butt ugly stock valve covers once you get those ugly coils off of them..you basicly uncover another ugly when you take off the first ugly...I say get yourself some real valve covers if you want it to look right ..

PS Getting the wipers off and the plastic around the cowl of the car is not hard to do..I used a battery cable puller to remove the wiper blades and the black plastic is mounted with push pull pin fasteners...no neede to pull the heads off or the intake there is really nothing to it.

Last edited by slt200mph; 11-02-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

^ that looks good i like that alot.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slt200mph
$20 worth of material purchased at home depot and some time is what I have invested in mine...moroso and thunder racing offer kits for those who do not have the time, tools, or skill to fabricate their own...they are not a big deal..but keep in mind that you will need to do something about those butt ugly stock valve covers once you get those ugly coils off of them..you basicly uncover another ugly when you take off the first ugly...I say get yourself some real valve covers if you want it to look right ..

PS Getting the wipers off and the plastic around the cowl of the car is not hard to do..I used a battery cable puller to remove the wiper blades and the black plastic is mounted with push pull pin fasteners...no neede to pull the heads off or the intake there is really nothing to it.

yep, i got those same valve covers for my new motor.

what i did with my old ones is: once the coils were removed and relocated, i took a sander and shaved off the coil bracket mounts and had the valve covers chrome-ceramic coated. they turned out really sweet looking. you can see in the original pictures i posted, EXCEPT i hadn't shaved the mounts yet. i'm good friends with a coater and it was a "night-before-the-show" deal, i had them re-done after show when i sanded them all smooth.

as for mounting the relo brackets, there are other ways. i chose to drill and tap holes in the tops of mine and use (2) 1/4" screws per bracket, drill 2 holes in the cowl, and run the screws through the holes with a washer into the coil brackets. that way, i didn't have any other bracketry to fool with or show through the plastic wiper cowl when it was reinstalled.

Quick Reply: any interest in a coil relocation kit? i'm considering being a sponsor