Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Taking apart 10 bolt

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Taking apart 10 bolt

I have been searching for a how to site but came up with nothing.I have to remove the axles and backing plates. The rear is out of the car right now also. I really did a number on this rear. I took off the cover and mixed in with the oil were tons of metal shavings.
Can anyone help me out?
Old 08-31-2003, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Taking apart 10 bolt

Honestly, if you're not sure of how to take the axle apart, you're probably better off taking it to a pro. Were you planning on setting up all of the clearances yourself?
Old 08-31-2003, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Honestly, if you're not sure of how to take the axle apart, you're probably better off taking it to a pro. Were you planning on setting up all of the clearances yourself?
I am taking it apart so I can swap parts to the 12 bolt.Mikey @ Rapid Motorsports is setting everything up. I am installing the rear then. He requested I take the 10 bolt apart first because he is very busy.I have no problem doing this since he has helped me out a lot since the h/c went on.
Thanks for the help
Old 08-31-2003, 04:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Check the "Question about caliper bracket post" I explained how to remove axles and brackets in there.
Old 08-31-2003, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anytime
Old 08-31-2003, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Remove the calipers, and wire them up with a wire tie so they don't hang from the rubber hoses.
If you have ABS, which you probably do, remove the sensor on the backing plate, (one wire and one 10mm bolt) Then remove the little black block from inside the differential itself, which is one long thin bolt), if you can't see the bolt, rotate the assembly around till you can. Once that is done, THEN you can push the axles in far enough to get the clips off. Then the axles will pull out with no resistance at all.

Good luck man, just did this myself, it was not hard once I found out about getting the abs sensor off.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The rear is out of the car as of right now. The problem is the long thin bolt is bent and the tab that the bolt travels through has signs of heat. The bolt will not turn at all. This is why I asked the question.Is there any other way to get everything apart? I am giving the rear to a friend and would like to salvage as much as possible
Old 09-02-2003, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

If the bolt is stuck in the differential, then you'll have to cut it. There is no other way to remove the axles unless you remove that block. I've seen that bolt get stuck many times before, and its a bitch.

Quick Reply: Taking apart 10 bolt