Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lookout California Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lookout California Drivers

I posted this on the Western Forum, but also putting it up here too since there are a lot of CA Conversion Folks. Those 15+ year old cars are what we are making into Hybrids. Please take a few minutes to call these senators or send an email!

California Legislator is after us again:

Date sent 08/27/2008 02:08:27 pm
Subject: SEMA Urgent Legislative Alert: California Lawmaker Trying to Sneak by a Bill to Require...

Immediate Action Needed!

California Lawmaker Trying to Sneak by a Bill to Require ANNUAL Emissions Tests for Vehicles
15-Years Old and Older

Committee Hearing set for August 28. Call Now!!!

In an effort to avoid public scrutiny, California Assemblyman Dave Jones (Assemblymember.jones@assembly.ca.gov) has amended a completely unrelated bill with language to require annual Smog check inspections for vehicles 15-years old and older. This represents an obvious attempt to sneak through legislation in the closing days of the legislative session that had been previously defeated (A.B. 616). The new bill is designated as A.B. 3053.

While pre-1976 motor vehicles would remain exempt under existing California law, this proposal ignores the fact that vehicles 15-years old and older still constitute a small portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reduction. Furthermore, the bill would direct that the funds generated through annual inspection fees be used to scrap older cars. This represents another attempt by California legislators and regulators to scapegoat older cars.

This is the type of activity that fuels distrust in public officials. SEMA caught this lawmaker’s underhanded attempt to circumvent public process and is now calling on you to help defeat A.B 3053 before it’s too late.

Time is of the Essence! We Urge You to Call the California Senate Appropriations Committee (List Below) Immediately to Oppose A.B. 3053

California Senate Appropriations Committee

Senator Tom Torlakson – Chair
Phone: 916/651-4007
Email: senator.torlakson@sen.ca.gov

Senator Dave ***
Phone: 916/651-4001
Email: senator.***@sen.ca.gov

Senator Sam Aanestad
Phone: 916/651-4004
Email: senator.aanestad@sen.ca.gov

Senator Roy Ashburn
Phone: 916/651-4018
Email: senator.ashburn@sen.ca.gov

Senator Gilbert Cedillo
Phone: 916/651-4022
Email: senator.cedillo@sen.ca.gov

Senator Ellen Corbett
Phone: 916/651-4010

Senator Robert Dutton
Phone: 916/651-4031
Email: senator.dutton@sen.ca.gov

Senator Dean Florez
Phone: 916/651-4016
Email: senator.florez@sen.ca.gov

Senator Sheila Kuehl
Phone: 916/651-4023
Email: senator.kuehl@sen.ca.gov

Senator Jenny Oropeza
Phone: 916/651-4028

Senator Mark Ridley-Thomas
Phone: 916/651-4026

Senator George Runner
Phone: 916/651-4017
Email: senator.runner@sen.ca.gov

Senator Joe Simitian
Phone: 916/651-4011
Email: senator.simitian@sen.ca.gov

Senator Mark Wyland
Phone: 916/651-4038

Senator Leland Yee
Phone: 916/651-4008

Terms under which this service is provided to you: sema.org/disclaimer

SEMA's mailing address: 1575 S. Valley Vista Dr., Diamond Bar, CA 91765

Copyright 2007. Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA)
Old 08-27-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here are the Senators email address all together for an easy copy and paste. Please fire off an email to them asking them to vote no on this bad deceptive legislation.

senator.torlakson@sen.ca.gov, senator.aanestad@sen.ca.gov, senator.ashburn@sen.ca.gov, senator.cedillo@sen.ca.gov, senator.dutton@sen.ca.gov, senator.florez@sen.ca.gov, senator.kuehl@sen.ca.gov, senator.runner@sen.ca.gov, senator.simitian@sen.ca.gov
Old 08-28-2008, 03:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont get this state one bit. Arent you guyz supposed to be the hot rod capital of the world and at the same time you want to do emissions tests on vintage cars ?
Old 08-28-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Hot rod central, yet have the most restrictive emissions laws out of everywhere? Reverse-psychology? Does that mean the harder they make it to keep old cars on the road... the more popular they'll get/more will start popping up? If so, this hobby is going to do nothing but get bigger and bigger in the future!!
Old 08-28-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone (Stu Cool?) have language I could cut and paste to send off the this list of legislators?

Thanks,

Andy1
Old 08-28-2008, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

This has come up in the past and has got shot down. The original equipment wasn't made to pass current smog regulations and therefore was considered exempt. Each time this comes up it gets booted out.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

The point I am made on my note to the Senators was that this puts an unfair burden on lower income and fixed income people who own pre-93 cars. They will now have to spend $40-$60 every year to get their car smog tested instead of every other year. The impact to cleaner air is not likely to be significant because the gross polluters would be idnetified anyway when they are inspected on the two year basis. This Bill just takes an estimated $23 million per year in certificate fees from owners of older cars and gives it to the State. Add the inspection fee on top of that and a lot of money is being taken from those who may not be able to afford it. This legislation in the form of AB 616 was already stopped once and now Senator Jones is trying to game the system by amending an unrelated bill.

Pat
Old 08-28-2008, 03:02 PM
TECH Junkie

move to Texas and let Cali becoming its prison/commie state its always wanted to be I see Cali plates all the time, some people are getting the right idea, and so should U
Old 08-28-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

I've been very busy since I first heard of this yesterday. I called all the Appropriations Comittee members, I emailed their offices also. I have connections to several large clubs and collector groups to alert them.

This is really a bogus attempt to "back door" some unwanted legislation. I have subscribed to the bill on the CA.gov website so that I can follow this thing and see who voted and their position on it. What a load of B.S.!!!
Old 08-28-2008, 06:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
move to Texas and let Cali becoming its prison/commie state its always wanted to be I see Cali plates all the time, some people are getting the right idea, and so should U
Cars younger than 25yrs already have to be smog tested in Texas. At least they do in the big metroplexes. This is one area where Texas is more stringent than California for emmisions testing.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Arizona for the win!!!! I moved here from California (can'taffordya) and never looked back. I'm buying a 2nd house in the next few months and i'm 28
Old 08-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Launching!

I understand why emissions testing is needed, but accounting for cars that make up less than 5% of cars on the road is kinda retarded.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

No, in texas obdII cars are not smogged. they just have a computer hook up to the diagnostic port and check for codes as well as check the fuel cap. if it is an obdI car then it does if you are in an area that requires it.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is good news from SEMA SAN
CALIFORNIA BILL TO REQUIRE ANNUAL EMISSIONS INSPECTIONS FOR OLDER CARS FAILS . . . AGAIN!

The SAN defeated California legislation to require annual (rather than biennial) smog-check inspections for vehicles 15 years old and older. The bill would also have required that funds generated through the additional inspection fees be deposited into an account which could then be used to scrap older cars. In an effort to sneak the bill through in the closing days of the legislative session, California Assemblyman Dave Jones amended a completely unrelated bill with the annual smog-check inspection language.

While pre-'76 motor vehicles would have remained exempt under existing California law, this proposal ignored the fact that vehicles 15 years old and older still constitute a small portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reductions. This latest action represents the second time the SAN was able to defeat this legislation.

Special thanks to the countless enthusiasts and car clubs whose quick and powerful response to this harmful bill prevented it from moving forward.

If you are not a SEMA SAN member please sign up, it's free and is a watch dog for our hobby and industry. http://www.semasan.com/main/main.asp...ANcom/HomePage

Pat
Old 09-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by brent5631
No, in texas obdII cars are not smogged. they just have a computer hook up to the diagnostic port and check for codes as well as check the fuel cap. if it is an obdI car then it does if you are in an area that requires it.
Nobody smogs OBDII cars. That's the whole point of OBDII, it performs constant monitoring and will alert the inspector if something is amiss. Anything from 1984-1995 is smogged in Tx if it's in the large metroplexes.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Skele4door
Nobody smogs OBDII cars. That's the whole point of OBDII, it performs constant monitoring and will alert the inspector if something is amiss. Anything from 1984-1995 is smogged in Tx if it's in the large metroplexes.
The State of California can and does smog inspects OBD II vehicles, under hood inspection, check of computer system, and tailpipe sniff while the vehicle is on the rollers (in metro areas)
Old 09-11-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Well, we got that one dumped!! Thanks Pat and all those who wrote emails and called. We really need to be vigilant, these politicians are a sneaky lot......Mr. Dave Jones in particular.

The last thing the State Of California needs is to bust my chops over my 1935 Ford that is 1000% cleaner (emissions wise) that it was when Henry Ford built it.

Quick Reply: Lookout California Drivers