Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous Vs DA

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Nitrous Vs DA

What effect does nitrous have on density altitude?

My thinking is that it would create a false da. thus where most of the power comes from.

example-

no nitrous-
Temp- 90
Humidity- 80
Track Alt.- 1000 ft
Pressure- 30.00

That is a DA of 3600ft

Now what does nitrous do to that intake air?
just lowering the air temp has a huge affect

Temp- 40
Humidity- 80
Track Alt.- 1000 ft
Pressure- 30.00

That is a DA of -38

Is that where you get most of the power from nitrous?

What happens to the humidity and air pressure with nitrous?
Old 09-04-2008, 09:58 AM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

Density altitude is defined as the altitude at which a given air density is found in the standard atmosphere. For a given altitude, density altitude changes with changes in pressure, air temperature, and humidity. An increase in pressure increases air density, so it decreases density altitude. An increase in temperature decreases air density, so it increases density altitude. An increase in humidity decreases air density, so itincreases density altitude. Changes in pressure and temperature have the greatest effect on density altitude, and changes in humidity have the least effect....denser air has more oxygen ..... oxygen allows you to burn fuel. Burning fuel = HP.

Nitrous is 33% oxygen where the atmosphere is approx 21%,,,that is why NItrous makes power...by supply a higher concentration of Oxygen it allows you to burn more fuel
Old 09-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Banned

ray i sent you a pm??
Old 09-04-2008, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have found the same results in practice. I can guess pretty close to what the DA is by going off of the current conditions. I will sit on a da calucator and just plug numbers to get an idea of what the DA should be.

I always read that last sentence that "supply a higher concentration of Oxygen it allows you to burn more fuel"

But taking that past that, it basically means it creates its own DA. correct?

How do you figure out what that new da would be? or can you?

Does any given actual DA play a roll on nitrous cars?
Old 09-04-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always heard that nitrous is atmosphere in a bottle.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

nitrous cars are not affected as much by actual DA.....but you are still using normal atomosphere to supply air for the engine to run, so DA still plays a factor for nitrous cars. We just aren't affected as much as NA or FI cars
Old 09-04-2008, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im guessing you take it into consideration for each pass. I will look at it for NA runs and use it as a control to verify if the car is getting slower or faster. Are you able to do the same with nitrous cars? If so what are you using as a control?

I'v made a ton of nitrous passes but never got down how to keep a good control of how the car is doing without the affect of weather.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

I keep a log of every pass, and the parameters under which the run occured...DA, Shot size, suspension settings, weight, etc

I also will always make a NA pass to feel the car and track out before spraying
Old 09-04-2008, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ray@Nitrous Outlet
nitrous cars are not affected as much by actual DA.....but you are still using normal atomosphere to supply air for the engine to run, so DA still plays a factor for nitrous cars. We just aren't affected as much as NA or FI cars
I have a question then......Normally NA cars here will drop about 8 tenths if we travel down to san antonio....for example....my buddys mustang GT....runs consistent 14.1's in amarillo tx. He drove down to SA and ran a 13.1.....when he sprays in amarillo he runs about 13.20's on a 100 shot....if he sprayed that same 100 shot in SA wouldnt his 13.1 NA be some where in the deep 12's?...if thats the case then i dont see where the statement "nitrous cars are not affected as much by actual DA" comes from.

Amarillo DA usually sits around 5500 or so.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

Yes the car will go faster in a lower DA. I am talking about the delta between the NA and the nitrous pass on the same day. Once you have a good baseline for NA and nitrous passes you will notice the fluctuations due to DA will have less impact on the nitrous passes compared to the NA passes.

To give you an idea. I ran an 11.38 @119 NA and 10.48 @130 (.9 delta) on nitrous .....next trip to the track I ran a 11.7 @ 116 NA and 10.56 @ 128 (1.14 delta) on nitrous...all with similar 60' times.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:35 PM
12 Second Club

OOOOOOOOOO...ok i get it now